Author Topic: Civil 3D 2007 - W A R N I N G ! ! !  (Read 12952 times)

Dinosaur

Re: Civil 3D 2007 - W A R N I N G ! ! !
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2006, 09:45:32 PM »
I am definitely sorry if I wrote anything that would encourage you to save changes in that circumstance.  I was talking about using the file that is created in the drawing folder.  It is named <dwgname>_save.dwg or something and is listed in the recovery dialog after a crash.  The options are the last saved dwg, the last bak and the _save.dwg which is usually a copy of the last autosave file and some are created immediately before the crash.  You can see a thumbnail and the file date and time of each file.  Any of the files can be opened and the best choice saved as the drawing name.  Any shortcuts and project attachment must be recreated (2006) but I have never had one of these not restore a useable file.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2006, 01:13:59 PM »
CAN TOO!! CAN TOO!  I generally send the clients that are on LDD my entire project folder. Those on R14 and below get the DWG file and an ASCII coordinate file.
The initial posts here said that 2007 would not transfer back to 2003-2006. That it was not com patable. Has that changed?
If I am going to have to redo my drawings by jumping through hoops to get a useable , exportable product, I believe I will pass.
And it also appears that LDD will go away soon. My  latest disks came with Civil3D and a LDD companion instead of vise-versa. Face it, if they are going to stay in business they are going to have to chop off the old products at some point. This appears to be the first step.
There are other products out there that work on an autoCad base that do the same thing as LDD and do not require me to slip my big old butt through any hoops.

Your arguments all fall flat.  You say you do not want to jump through hoops.  Fact is you already jump through hoops in LDT to ship projects backwards, exploding contours into polylines etc.  The real heart of the matter is you are comfortable doing things the way you know how and learning a new way is unacceptable to you.  I can take a civil 3D drawing and ship it back to LDT, I can give them polyline contours, I can send them an asci point file. 

I was going to let this lie, but my very nature will not allow it. Sir, with all due respect, you are intollerably rude. I realize you are an "expert" and teach this stuff, BUT I have an ex AutoCad/Softdesk instructor working with me know and I can smoke his butt on any given project because he knows the software inside and out, but not necessarily surveying and mapping.
Learning a new way has NEVER been unacceptable to me. You do not know me. How DARE you make such a statement! I have been doing this mess for 40 years and have ALWAYS been looking for new and better ways to ply my craft. I'll be danged if I will let a software salesman tell me such a thing!!
What you say you can do,the others here seem to be saying WILL NOT WORK. If you are the only one that is correct, then you need to enlighten the masses. BUT with your attitude you will have a real hard time getting me to listen to a dang thing you have to say.

Dinosaur

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2006, 03:41:37 PM »
PWEET!  Neutral Corners

Dinosaur

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2006, 05:58:56 PM »
- EDIT -

The post originally before this one was subsequently deleted.  I apologize if this causes some confusion when reading my post but I am choosing to leave mine as originally posted.

- BEGIN POST -

Nick, I saw the Newsgroup exchange you referenced and I think Dent may have come out lucky in comparison.
This board is open to all for the free exchange of ideas, questions and answers and as long as we all treat each other with respect it will remain just that.  I know you have a lot of your heart and soul invested in this project and am awed that you would chose to come here to share your knowledge and experience.

Dent, I think Nick might also have come out better than he might have in this exchange.  I don't think anyone here would suggest that you have to or even need to change your software or workflow just to be using the latest and perhaps soon to be greatest civil engineering software.

Gentlemen, please carry on and let's all learn some stuff.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 08:11:36 PM by DinØsaur »

Dent Cermak

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2006, 12:43:04 PM »
Sure got quiet in here all of the sudden. :angel: ^-^

jpostlewait

« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2006, 08:07:15 PM »
Sure got quiet in here all of the sudden. :angel: ^-^
Nick doesn't need my help in this discussion.
I'm guessing that he, like you, is thinking about where is the upside in taking this further?
From my personal perspective, Nick is not a software salesman.
He solves problems and offers help.

>>I was going to let this lie, but my very nature will not allow it. Sir, with all due respect, you are intollerably rude.<<

Not intollerably.

As a newbie here I have read some of your stuff, and you are a voice to be listened to. But.
You also need to listen.