Author Topic: FTPing it  (Read 5035 times)

SaMo2

FTPing it
« on: September 06, 2006, 10:41:19 AM »
We are also trying to set up an FTP server for sharing CAD files.
Does anyone have some input on what software might be good for running this?

Word on the street is that Bulletproof is a good buy, but then again I hear it isn't SSH/SCP friendly.

Any thoughts peoples?

:kewl:

SaMo2

Re: FTPing it
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 11:02:06 AM »
By the way, if there is some other Forum that this topic might be better suited for, please let me know, OK?

Thanks!

:lol:

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 11:10:57 AM »
Windows server?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

SaMo2

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 11:21:29 AM »
Windows server?

Yup!
Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Got any suggestions?

SaMo2

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 11:26:07 AM »
ohhh wait.... hold on...

The main server (where we will be pulling files from to put on the FTP server) is our new server and THAT runs on the Windows Small Business Server 2003!

HOWEVER,
We are attempting to use our old server, which has Windows 2000 on it, as the actual FTP site location.

The old server will be the one to host the FTP site and will run through the main server to route info thru the firewall, etc.

Does that make sense?

Any help you might have would be greatly appreciated!!!

:roll:

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:28:03 AM »
Yup!
Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Got any suggestions?

Yea ..... Unix! Just kidding. :-)

My guess is that it includes one already. Have you tried looking at MS site for an FTP server?

SaMo2

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 11:43:38 AM »

My guess is that it includes one already. Have you tried looking at MS site for an FTP server?

[/quote]

No, but I can look...

If that fails, do you have any FTP software that you or someone you know enjoys using?

SaMo2

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 11:55:59 AM »
I found this:

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/server-software.html

The main thing I got out of it was the part where they mention:

I would strongly advise you not to use IIS for a FTP server for several reasons.  First of all, IIS doesn't have enough settings to run a FTP server from behind most routers.  The resulting FTP server may have spotty connections.  Second, IIS FTP server is highly targeted by hackers out there.  The reason is that there are a ton of people out there who have IIS installed (knowingly or unknowingly) and most of these are unsecured.  It's a popular target.  By using a 3rd party FTP software, it is less likely to be exploited.

Apparently, Windows 2000 only offers the IIS software and it only allows 10 connections. I am thinking a 3rd party software would probably be smarter given the above quote.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 01:37:28 PM »
Here are just a couple I found.

[ http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/ftpservers/tp/aatp_winftpserv.htm ]

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FTP_servers ]

[ http://www.serverwatch.com/stypes/servers/article.php/15949_1432501 ]

Quote from: the above link
If you've ever run an FTP server on a UNIX system, you know that they can tend to the obscure in terms of usability and features. Vermillion and other Windows-based FTP servers counter this with attractive interfaces that allow you to get up and running quickly with the servers. The better Windows-based FTP daemons also provide advanced security and oversight features when administering the server.
Uh ..... no they're not! Sorry I just hate reading crap like that.

Anyway do a google search for ( open source ftp daemon windows )

Troy Williams

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 02:34:22 PM »
Depending on your requirements, you may want to setup a separate box for the ftp server. I would recommend Netbsd and pure ftp. The neat thing about pure is that it can have a web administration interface.

For information on NetBSD and what you can do, check this article out.

I may be adding information on installing and configuring an ftp site up in the near future.

Troy Williams

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 03:36:03 PM »
Here is a java based one that will run on windows:
[http://www.anomic.de/AnomicFTPServer/]

SaMo2

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 04:06:50 PM »
Depending on your requirements, you may want to setup a separate box for the ftp server. I would recommend Netbsd and pure ftp. The neat thing about pure is that it can have a web administration interface.

The NetBSD looks daunting. Is it a an operating system or something? Is it some FTP thing? Don't have my mind wrapped around that one yet...

Now, the pure FTPd software looks very good, but I noticed it runs on Linux, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD FreeBSD, Solaris, Tru64, Darwin, Irix and HPUX.

So is that why you listed Net BSD? Because you would need it first in order to run the Pure FTPd software?

How easy is this going to be for our office to do all of this?

I am looking for something secure, but not mind-boggling.
The "simple" computer-using denizens of our office will need to learn how to use this stuff too.

I really appreciate this!!!

Looking forward to your response.  :roll:

SaMo2

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »
I may be adding information on installing and configuring an ftp site up in the near future.

God, I sure hope sooner than later!!!

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 05:33:31 PM »

The NetBSD looks daunting. Is it a an operating system or something? Is it some FTP thing?

Yes NetBSD is an OS, look at my sig. :-)

Now, the pure FTPd software looks very good, but I noticed it runs on Linux, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD FreeBSD, Solaris, Tru64, Darwin, Irix and HPUX.

So is that why you listed Net BSD? Because you would need it first in order to run the Pure FTPd software?

Yes, any of the listed OS's will run PureFTPd, but not Windows. You're SOL with PureFTPd unless you setup a *nix OS.

How easy is this going to be for our office to do all of this?
Depends. If you go with your Windows server it shouldn't be more than a couple of clicks with the right software.

I am looking for something secure, but not mind-boggling.

I don't find NetBSD "mind-boggling" but I've used it for some time now. You're better off sticking with your Windows server me thinks.

DaveW

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 06:34:57 PM »
This is a very big decision. Hacking and FTP is propbably the most common exploit on the internet. If your FTP will be accessable via the internet, then I suggest you use something other than MS FTP.

Keep in mind that once you put it up, it WILL be connected to, unless it is only active over VPN on your local LAN, by people trying nto hack it. They do not want your files. They will send a command, they do not even have to log in in many cases, that will buffer overflow the FTP server software and then the FTP will let them have root access to the server. Now they will setup hidding files and folders and upload pirated software that your FTP will hsot for them. You can loose 10G's in a night if you have no bandwidth cap.

My suggestions are Serv-U for a server. http://www.rhinosoft.com/ Just keep it updated!!!!
There are better sever softwares ,but this one is easy to use and very secure.

FlashFXP for your clients: http://www.inicom.net/pages/en.ffxp-home.php