Author Topic: Why am I sooo slooooow?  (Read 4129 times)

SaMo2

Why am I sooo slooooow?
« on: September 06, 2006, 10:35:21 AM »
 :?
We recently switched over from a peer-to-peer network to a bonafide central server.

Ever since that time, saving and auto-saves take for freekin' ever!

Any thoughts on why this is so and how we might be able to speed things back up?

I was thinking that maybe at least we could let the autosaves do their thing in a temp folder on the actual workstations and the actual saves could go back to the main file on the central server.

ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!

:angel:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 10:42:34 AM by SaMo2 »

pmvliet

Re: Why am I sooo slooooow?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 10:48:13 AM »
you can move your autosaves to the local system.
I would also check your port speeds on the server switch end as well as the desktops.

Pieter

SaMo2

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 10:57:58 AM »
you can move your autosaves to the local system.

Pieter

I am a little ignorant as to how that occurs...
If I move the autosaves to the local system, does that mean it saves on my workstation and not the server?
Also, if I officially "save" will that write to the server?

Basically, I need more detailed info. Sorry I am not so savvy.  :oops:

SaMo2

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 11:00:30 AM »
I would also check your port speeds on the server switch end as well as the desktops.

Pieter

Is there an easy way to check port speeds?
I am not very well versed in server stuff.

Also how do you check a port speed on an individual workstation?

Lastly, what is considered an acceptable port speed?
I imagine once I have found out the speeds, I would need a benchmark to compare it to right?

Thanks so much for the help!!!

:-)

pmvliet

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 01:09:30 PM »
If you go to tools, options and on the first tab "files" scroll down and you will see a Automatic save file location. here you can adjust where the autosaves are sent. Not knowing the number of users you have, you may have a hard time changing this value on everyones computer. This information is saved in the profile being current at the time the change is made.

This is also an AutoCad variable and you could set that variable via  a startup lisp.

Another variable that you may want to change is Movebak. This variable will allow you to move the *.bak files somewhere else then where the *.dwg files are located. You may not want the *.BAk files on the server as well since they take up space. They could double your storage space requirements if not kept in check.

As far as network speeds checks. Talk with your IT people. Not knowing the exact specifics of your equipment, I really can't tell you how to check your network speeds. (especially on the server switch end of things) For your desktop if you go to control panel and network connections you should be able to get the propertics of your network card. For my system, I have a system tray icon that tells me my network speed. Terms suchs as 100/full 100/half etc would be terminology.
And I'm not a true network guys so I might not be 100% on my terminology...

Pieter

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 01:12:45 PM »
You may wish to speak with IT about virus checking when writing to the network.  That could slow down write times tremendously.

pmvliet

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 01:16:50 PM »
You may wish to speak with IT about virus checking when writing to the network.  That could slow down write times tremendously.

Yaaaw.. what he said.. Very good point about virus checking accross a network.
Good call CADaver!

Pieter

SaMo2

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 01:34:57 PM »
If you go to tools, options and on the first tab "files" scroll down and you will see a Automatic save file location. here you can adjust where the autosaves are sent. Not knowing the number of users you have, you may have a hard time changing this value on everyones computer. This information is saved in the profile being current at the time the change is made.

Any good thoughts on a good LOCAL file location for these files? In the Documents and Settings or maybe the Program Files?

This is also an AutoCad variable and you could set that variable via  a startup lisp.

Is there a specific name for this particular lisp? is it actually called STARTUP.lisp?

Another variable that you may want to change is Movebak. This variable will allow you to move the *.bak files somewhere else then where the *.dwg files are located. You may not want the *.BAk files on the server as well since they take up space. They could double your storage space requirements if not kept in check. 

Do you suggest this new .bak dump location to be on the individual workstations or somewhere on the server that autopurges every two weeks or so?

As far as network speeds checks. Talk with your IT people. Not knowing the exact specifics of your equipment, I really can't tell you how to check your network speeds. (especially on the server switch end of things) For your desktop if you go to control panel and network connections you should be able to get the propertics of your network card. For my system, I have a system tray icon that tells me my network speed. Terms suchs as 100/full 100/half etc would be terminology.
And I'm not a true network guys so I might not be 100% on my terminology...

What kind of speeds might be considered slow? acceptable? excellent?

-

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP BRO' !!!

SaMo2

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 01:41:28 PM »
Hey there...

I just went to the Control Panel and opened the Network Connections dialog box.
I have three connections per se...
When I right-clicked on them, I got a list from which I picked the STATUS option to display speeds.

I got:

INTERNET CONNECTION - 10Mbps
LAN CONNECTION - 100Mbps
1394 CONNECTION - 400Mbps

:?

I figure the LAN CONNECTION is the one we are examing here...

pmvliet

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 02:24:44 PM »
I personally would not put things in the documents & settings folder.
I would create a folder right off the c:\ location.
At a previous place of employment, we created C:\BAK\2k2 and c:\bak\2k4
for the different versions.

I would do something similar to this for your AutoSaves, BAK's, temp files etc.
create a folder called C:\AutoCad then make different folders for the different options.
Then you can set your search paths to the different folders. This may seem overkill but
it will help you keep things organized and to know exactly where to look for certain files.
You could then create some type of program to clean these folders out every 2 weeks of whatever your heart desires.

The startup lisp is just a lisp routine that gets called each and everytime AutoCad is started. This would either be located in the acad.mnl (prior to 2k6 & 2k7). Other names would be acad{version}doc.lsp
There are infinite ways to have a startup lisp. it all depends on what you have in your office.

100MBS for LAN speed is as good as it's gonna get unles you have a gigabit office. This would be 1000MBS. Have your IT people check on their end as there maybe lots of collisions of data thus slowing things down. it also makes a difference if this are auto-negotiating or if they are set at a certain speed. Auto-negotiating **sometimes** will slow things down if collisions start happening alot.

Just out of curiosity what version and what's the average size of your files? Sometimes if you are working with large files, nothing will help the read/write speed  :-(

Pieter

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 03:24:16 PM »
Also have your IT guys take a look at your switches and links to those switches. I know we noticed some strange things when we had the switches linked together with more than one cable.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

SaMo2

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 03:49:22 PM »

Just out of curiosity what version and what's the average size of your files? Sometimes if you are working with large files, nothing will help the read/write speed  :-(

We are running ACAD (&ADT) versions from the Year of Our Lord 2006.

Most of the drawings we have aren't THAT big...

SaMo2

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 11:08:50 AM »
Well, our resident Server Guru looked at the server processes and discovered that it was scanning every transaction coming in and going out of the server. We'll see what that does.

^-^

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 10:50:01 PM »
we had same problem....
created by McAffe entreprise....

remove the entire AutoCAD folder checking..

Other thing..
We have noted that Some function of AutoCAD was slow when you have to much
PC3 and CTB files on your search path directory....

:police:
Keep smile...

SaMo2

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 10:34:15 AM »
we had same problem....
created by McAffe entreprise....

remove the entire AutoCAD folder checking..

Other thing..
We have noted that Some function of AutoCAD was slow when you have to much
PC3 and CTB files on your search path directory....

:police:

OK, that was a virus software?

Also, you mean folder checking from the server side of things like I was mentioning right?

The new update is that turning off that file scanning on the server side didn't do much to help things...

COuld you explain more about the PC3 and CTB files thing?

Thanks for the input!!!

:|

SaMo2

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 11:26:02 AM »
I personally would not put things in the documents & settings folder.

Hey just got around to looking at where my autosaves and temp files get stored...
and sure enough, they all go to a Temp Folder in my Documents & Settings folder!!!

I guess the good news is that this stuff isn't heading off to the server.

Just curious, why is it bad to have these thing going to the Documents & Settings folder?
How would that affect write speeds and thus, the overall speed of ACAD performing its duties?

Thanks.

;-)

SaMo2

SAVE BAK
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 01:29:24 PM »
WHAT IF I JUST TURN OFF THE SAVEBAK COMMAND?

Will that not speed up my incremental save times?
Or is that just plain  :loco: ?

SaMo2

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 01:55:28 PM »
Also, what if I set the TREEDEPTH variable to a negative number?

Seeing as we do not use ACAD for 3D stuff, wouldn't this be advisable?  :-o

Anyone have an opinion?

SaMo2

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 01:58:48 PM »
Also, what if I changed my 10 MILLION TREEMAX value to a lower number?

Wouldn't that speed things up too?

:roll:

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 02:20:01 PM »

SaMo2

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 02:54:57 PM »
Google manna

Thank you for that.
I do still believe the biggest slow-downs come from saving and opening though...
I just changed a whole lot of variables and save-to locations. We'll see if that helps.  :whistle:

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 03:04:58 PM »
By chance are any of your directories that AutoCAD shares on the network mapped to a a drive on a remote server through a VPN connection?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

SaMo2

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 03:56:37 PM »
By chance are any of your directories that AutoCAD shares on the network mapped to a a drive on a remote server through a VPN connection?

Gee how do I even check that???

SaMo2

SUCCESS!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 04:09:55 PM »
GOOD NEWS!!!

My ACAD experience is super fast again!!!

Here is what recently changed for me:

1) Went into the Virus Software on my workstation and told it not to scan the .DWG and .DXF files (because the server does this at night anyway)

2) Went to the main Server and told it not to scan in-coming and out-going .DWG and .DXF files (because this is an internal process, and once again, it scans all of its files for viruses at night anyway)

3) Changed a bunch of system variables using the SYSVDLG command and going through each and every variable and setting it the way I wanted it.

4) Set up an ACAD folder on my C Drive where I then made sub-folders for my Temp, BAK, Auto-Save and System Variables. Then, I re-directed all paths from ACAD into these folders.

And now, my computer saves VERY FAST.

Thanks to everyone for the input and the support. YOU GUYS ROCK -n- RULE!!!

:smack: :love: :smack: :love:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:12:12 PM by SaMo2 »

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 04:15:53 PM »
You're welcome!  Glad I could help.