Author Topic: VBA Class?  (Read 11892 times)

LE

Re: VBA Class?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 10:58:37 AM »
Just for reference on this, Civil 3D is supposedly on Autodesk's bleeding edge.  As far as I can tell all of the report customizations and the sub assemblies used to define road cross sections which in turn build surfaces depend on VBA routines.

It might help, reading this:

developer center - autodesk civil 3d

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=8007696

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 11:23:17 AM »
What I would love for one (or two) of you gurus to do would be to start a C# class for people who are just starting out and wanting to learn C#. It seems like the majority of the people I talk to (on and off the forum) are heading that way for one reason or another.
I second that request, as I am not qualified to teach that class.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

LE

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 11:32:50 AM »
What I would love for one (or two) of you gurus to do would be to start a C# class for people who are just starting out and wanting to learn C#. It seems like the majority of the people I talk to (on and off the forum) are heading that way for one reason or another.
I second that request, as I am not qualified to teach that class.

I would like to attend to a class of C#.... depending on where that is going to take place....  :-)

(I have been doing some coding in C# - but pure mickey mouse stuff - still)

Since appears that will be focus for autocad, it will be required to have at minimum autocad 2006 or 2007 ? no? - because of some methods or properties not implemented or wrapped yet - I will say.

Maybe some of the masters in C# could help on a better adviced....

TR

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 11:56:19 AM »
Anyone who thinks that Autodesk will remove VBA from AutoCAD or it's verticals is insane. With the amount of business logic that it's customers have built using VBA removing it would mean a lot of extremely irritated customers. Once you add something to a product and people code against it you really can't remove it.

That's why in COM objects you see a lot of things such as "DataStore", "DataStore2" and "DataStore3". DataStore3 is the most recent but since people have coded against DataStore and DataStore2 and put it in production they can't remove that functionality.

LE

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
Just for reference on this, Civil 3D is supposedly on Autodesk's bleeding edge.  As far as I can tell all of the report customizations and the sub assemblies used to define road cross sections which in turn build surfaces depend on VBA routines.

It might help, reading this:

developer center - autodesk civil 3d

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=8007696

In other words... they are using: VB, VBA, C++, C# and VB.NET.

And not exposing any of the extensions to ObjectARX [ :-(]

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 04:11:39 PM »
While I agree that the continuation of Lisp support has been a point of contention and speculation for the last 10 years, there has been nothing to replace it.

The situation with VBA is different. If I was asked to speculate, I'd just say "have a look at the emerging VSA technology."

Please note that I'm not poopahing the VBA class idea, I do believe that ANY language learnt is an benefit, and a base to build on.

Rather than wait for a C# or VBNet class to start, we may be better served just getting one of the express editions and start bashing keys with several of the myriad of free tutorials available .. and start asking questions when we hit a wall.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 04:28:54 PM »
Rather than wait for a C# or VBNet class to start, we may be better served just getting one of the express editions and start bashing keys with several of the myriad of free tutorials available .. and start asking questions when we hit a wall.
This is what I have started doing.  Im hoping next week to start creating small routines to do the basics i.e. create a layer, draw a line, xref a dwg in, etc
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Birdy

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 04:52:40 PM »
Is this class in addition to, or a continuation of the one that was started some time ago?
Either way, I'm in... novice experience level, but I'm wanting to do some things that are not easy (for me, if even possible) with LISP (novice there too. ~well, enough to be dangerous.)

What I want to do:
Take existing gometry, make it jump through hoops, and come out the other end as G-code.  ie. automate our now tedious task of copy to a metric template, scale, translate layers, save as r12dxf, save in another directory.... stuff like that.

I'd also like to do a custom proggy that'll automate all my project data management tasks.  Create job folders, fill out title blocks, keep track of progress, scheduling, etc.  Stuff I do now in excel, and some word docs.

pmvliet

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 05:10:41 PM »
Is this class in addition to, or a continuation of the one that was started some time ago?
Either way, I'm in... novice experience level, but I'm wanting to do some things that are not easy (for me, if even possible) with LISP (novice there too. ~well, enough to be dangerous.)

What I want to do:
Take existing gometry, make it jump through hoops, and come out the other end as G-code.  ie. automate our now tedious task of copy to a metric template, scale, translate layers, save as r12dxf, save in another directory.... stuff like that.

I'd also like to do a custom proggy that'll automate all my project data management tasks.  Create job folders, fill out title blocks, keep track of progress, scheduling, etc.  Stuff I do now in excel, and some word docs.

In other words, Birdy wants to go to work, press and few buttons and walla, have his work done and take home his 8hrs of pay  :-D  But, I'm sure we would all like that....

Sorry to hijack the thread... (back to your class discussion)
I's love to join, but I just don't have time... I did sign up to 1 or 2 beginning VBA classes at AU just to get my feet wet...

Pieter

DaveW

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 06:06:15 PM »
So when is the class? heh.

BTW, My brother is a MS certified VB.NET instructor. I am so lucky when he actually has a few minutes to help me. He does not know anything about ACAD though. He codes more than he teaches. Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. He said that before becoming a teacher. He was slow and needed the money and my mom was teaching at the time too and talked him into it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 06:08:26 PM by DaveW »

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 06:22:12 PM »
I don't think vba will go away in the near future, BUT, MS is starting their compain with VSTA. While I agree with Tim on the reasons why they won't ditch it they do seem to want to merge the two, sort of how they have people moving to .net for business solutions. IOW, they advise "start using .net, it's the future".
Will Vista 'fully' support vba?? New technologies create turnover for MS and the cycle continues...
Another thing to consider is 64bit computing, will they convert vb/a to 64bit or will they start from scratch and create  a decent language instead of hacking an old one to get it to work? Would you want to use a 32bit language when the mainstream will be 64bit?

Having said that, Kerry is correct in saying that any language is worth learning and vb/a will be around long enough to learn how to program so making the transition to another language shouldn't be too hard.

The hardest thing to do with a course like this is how to teach programming AND the AutoCAD api at once, it's very hard to learn an api when you don't know how it works (as part of a program).

But, we all gotta start somewhere, just get in and do it :)
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 06:23:07 PM »
... Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. ...

I know that expression is commonly quoted, but it contradicts my experience. The axiom that those who teach are incompetent in a practical matters is erroneous and insulting.

No personal acrimony intended Dave.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 06:29:15 PM »
..... Another thing to consider is 64bit computing, will they convert vb/a to 64bit or will they start from scratch and create  a decent language instead of hacking an old one to get it to work? Would you want to use a 32bit language when the mainstream will be 64bit?

............... But, we all gotta start somewhere, just get in and do it :)

Mick, The 64 bit comment I posted was a little cryptic. You've expressed my concern explicitly.

Birdy

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 06:36:42 PM »
In other words, Birdy wants to go to work, press and few buttons and walla, have his work done and take home his 8hrs of pay  :-D  But, I'm sure we would all like that....
Actually, It'd be more like:
"Lookie here boss!" <pointing right here> "I just did in 5 minutes what used to take me 5 hours."    8-)
"By my ROI cal-kalations, I just saved you $15,000.00+/year!" <Birdy jumps for joy!> :angel:
<somewhat subdude tone> "Boy.  I must be worth way more than you're paying me now, dontcha think?" ^-^

<Boss :x>: <smacking Birdy in the head> "Impressive.  Now that you have all this free time on your hands, here, do this so I don't have to."

pmvliet

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 08:32:44 PM »

Actually, It'd be more like:
"Lookie here boss!" <pointing right here> "I just did in 5 minutes what used to take me 5 hours."    8-)
"By my ROI cal-kalations, I just saved you $15,000.00+/year!" <Birdy jumps for joy!> :angel:
<somewhat subdude tone> "Boy.  I must be worth way more than you're paying me now, dontcha think?" ^-^

<Boss :x>: <smacking Birdy in the head> "Impressive.  Now that you have all this free time on your hands, here, do this so I don't have to."

Been there and done that and well... that's why I don't work for that company anymore
and not because it was my choice. we all learn at some point...

Pieter