Author Topic: VBA Class?  (Read 11893 times)

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
VBA Class?
« on: September 05, 2006, 12:32:53 PM »
Wasn't there supposed to be a little class starting soon?
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Re: VBA Class?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 12:58:31 PM »
yes, and when I asked, nobody spoke up.  I can start the class whenever you are ready.  I just need a few things from you, like level of experience, what do you want to do with VBA, do you know LISP, etc.  All of that just helps me guide you towards your goal.  The LISP reference is so I can make comparisons you understand
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 01:00:12 PM by CmdrDuh »
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 01:13:53 PM »
I thought so.  I didn't see a post about replying. SOrry 'bout that.  I have pretty much no experiance with VBA just try to piddle around here and there.  As far as what I want to do I would like to start writing applications or porting some of my lisp stuff over.  I do know lisp.  I'll be here just tell me when and how.  :lol:

Thanks
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 02:30:51 PM »
Count me in....

I've got experience with LSP, VBA and VB (more commfy working with VBA than LSP).

Lemank

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 07:10:38 PM »
Count me in also....

I have become fairly familiar with vlisp and vba but realize that there is much to learn about both.

CottageCGirl

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 08:54:36 PM »
Love to. but absolutely can not start anything until after the week of 9/12 --I am still in beginner land- hopefully when things start to calm down after convention (800 people comming from all over the world) I can actually get some learning in..... :-)

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 10:34:04 PM »
Do you have room for an absolute rookie who's programming credits are limited to the modifying of existing r10 vintage autolisp?

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 12:59:03 AM »
dino, it is a very simple language, the hard part is getting started.  I think you'll love it

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 01:08:24 AM »
Well THAT is encouraging.  It appears VB(A) is the preferred method for wrenching new reports and other functions with Civil 3D.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 01:52:20 AM »
[*soft voice*]

Is anyone able to confirm that VBA Support will be continued for ACAD ?
Has anyone heard any information as to the suitability of VBA for 64bit applications ?

[*sneaks away*]
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

DaveW

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 04:59:37 AM »
I would like to be involved too.

I only know some very basic VB. I have been writing my own code for almost 2 years.
I started with sendcommand and moved from there. :) I can be creative with ACAD at times and using sendcommand was just a way to automate what I could already do.

daron

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 08:30:42 AM »
That's all great, but I'd take what Kerry is saying and not stop with vba or lisp. .net might be the way to go from there.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 10:20:44 AM »
[*soft voice*]

Is anyone able to confirm that VBA Support will be continued for ACAD ?
Has anyone heard any information as to the suitability of VBA for 64bit applications ?

[*sneaks away*]
I can not confirm or deny any support in the future. Looking back at what we have "heard" for years about LISP support, and legacy code, I would say that VBA will be supported for at least the next 2 releases. (PURLEY MY OPINION)

That being said, anyone who gets started learning VBA SHOULD be able to switch to a .Net language fairly easily.  I started learning C# and found it fairly easy as it related to VBA.  VB.Net would be even closer, but I chose C# instead.

I will contact a few friends at Adesk and reseller to see if they know anymore than we speculate though.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Dinosaur

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 10:41:44 AM »
Just for reference on this, Civil 3D is supposedly on Autodesk's bleeding edge.  As far as I can tell all of the report customizations and the sub assemblies used to define road cross sections which in turn build surfaces depend on VBA routines.

nivuahc

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 10:44:24 AM »
I read an interview not long ago with someone from Autodesk and they were asked about that very thing. The answer given (paraphrased) was: "We have no intention of taking them out of AutoCAD because our customers use them and depend on them".

I've heard rumors since ~R14 about LISP eventually being taken out but I've not seen anything come of it. What I have noticed is that Autodesk hasn't added to the functionality of LISP for a long time and I don't see that there will be much of a push to do so. I think that they're going for the "It will eventually die on its own" tact.

What I would love for one (or two) of you gurus to do would be to start a C# class for people who are just starting out and wanting to learn C#. It seems like the majority of the people I talk to (on and off the forum) are heading that way for one reason or another.