Author Topic: Auto Layering  (Read 15746 times)

spawnd

Auto Layering
« on: August 23, 2006, 04:41:58 PM »
This might be a question that is already out there, but I couldn't find anything on it...

How do you get a things like dimensions to always come in on a certain layer? 

thanks

Jim Yadon

Re: Auto Layering
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 05:00:07 PM »
There used to be a LISP routine called autolay. I can't find it on the web and my archives are on an MS WXP machine I can't to right now. Does anyone else around have a copy laying around?

LE

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 05:33:27 PM »
Almost forgot, welcome to the swamp!

spawnd

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 05:53:18 PM »
thanks. 

I am trying not to use lisp...I know there is a way to add in the key shortcuts in the cui setup for each button, but i can't get it working correctly.  I would like it to create the layer if it is not already in the drawing.  I had it almost set up about 3 months ago, but deleted the button and forgot how to get back to where i was.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 06:08:40 PM »
thanks. 

I am trying not to use lisp...I know there is a way to add in the key shortcuts in the cui setup for each button, but i can't get it working correctly.  I would like it to create the layer if it is not already in the drawing.  I had it almost set up about 3 months ago, but deleted the button and forgot how to get back to where i was.

IMO,

You might want to rethink the not use lisp part (unless you are using LT). There are many great examples on the forum for command reactors to place objects on correct layers and they work quite well.

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

nivuahc

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 06:16:30 PM »
And if you had taken advantage of the magically disappearing code that LE posted, you could use it for so much more than just what you were asking. Pity it's no longer there.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 08:38:52 PM »
I utilize a couple of VBA routines that do these things:

Forces all blocks to be placed on a specific layer, regardless of the current layer.
Force all dimensions to the dimension layer
force all leaders to the notes layer

I don't have to even think about it. In fact after you have told the program which layer you want the blocks located on, the program will never ask again. It is pretty cool.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Jim Yadon

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 11:49:58 PM »
It's unfortunate that you wanting to avoid using LISP for the layer control you seem to be asking for. Autolay is a very useful tool. It can be configured to capture any command line entry and, as I recall, it caught menu and button use as well. A program I use at work already has a variation of autolay built into it so I haven't used that routine in years. Like spaend had said in an earlier post, there are plenty of examples of the use of reactors and others tools that would be useful in accomplishing what you're asking.

lispman21

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 09:36:58 AM »
Well if he doesn't want to use autolisp then thats up to him, but on the other hand I like using lisp and wouldn't mind seeing the code for myself.  So whoever has the code coulde u send it to me or post it here.  That is if you don't mind to.

spawnd

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 10:00:10 AM »
The reason for not using a lisp is that I have never write one or created one and never really used them...I've been a draftsmen for 10 years and all the company's I've worked for never used them.  If you can give me a crash course in lisp I will give it a try.  In learning ADT 2006 and creating new standards, palettes, and everything else while creating our new product in 3D vs. old flat drawings.

deegeecees

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 10:27:40 AM »
Have you considered VBA?

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 10:47:20 AM »
Here's a link to the AutoLAY.lsp by Eric Schneider??

http://tinyurl.com/lf4le

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 10:49:14 AM »
Try this for dimensions and leaders

It places dimensions on the DIM layer and sets the color to Cyan and places leaders on the NOTE layer and sets the color to Cyan

*note*
As a result of the post following this one, the program has been deleted from this post.

I do not take kindly to password cracking, hacking etc. If you would liked to have the code, all you needed to do was simply ask.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 12:12:39 PM by Keith™ »
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 11:58:26 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of running password protected programs, however in this case, I was able to get the monkey from the cubicle next to me to crack the code.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 12:21:25 PM »
*WHISTLE*  Foul! *WHISTLE*     :-D