Author Topic: Dimension Text is gone, disappeared  (Read 1756 times)

vinnyg

Dimension Text is gone, disappeared
« on: August 14, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »
Hi all,

I don't know what happened, but when I open my r14 drawings
that I finished updating last week, I don't see any dimension text.
The dimension lines are there, just no text. What's going on??

vinnyg

Matersammichman

Re: Dimension Text is gone, disappeared
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 04:13:43 PM »
Are you sure it's not just tiny?
Possibly the Text Style font size being used by the Dimension Style is very small.
Copy a dimension into an empty dwg, then explode the dimension.
Do a List All. Are there 6 items? If so, the text is there.
Next, pick the individual items as follows: arrowheads, extension lines, and dimension line (5 objects), erase them, then Zoom All. If the text is there you should now be able to see it. If the problem is your text size....

vinnyg

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 05:56:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion

Tried what you said. Didn't help.

All the drawings in this particular directory are affected-about 17 in all.

This might have something to do with copying them to a CD. But I'm
not certain. The was the last thing I did to them. ??

vinnyg

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 06:00:59 PM »
Is there a full path included with the font name?  If so, is that path correct for your machine?  If not, is the font specified available on your machine?

-EDIT-

Also, are you still using r14 or are you on a version with a properties dialog (2004+)?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 06:02:45 PM by DinØsaur »

FengK

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 07:02:59 PM »
vinnygm, can you post a sample drawing?

vinnyg

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 07:14:46 PM »
Still using r14

Path is included

I did do UPDATE  on the dimensions and that does bring them back, but it's a long
process because I have to update each dimension. That's why I can't post a drawing
now.

Thanks everybody for your help. If anybody can figure out why this happened to begin
with, let mw know.  Also if anybody can figure out how to fix it or keep it from happening
again let me know.

vinnyg

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 07:27:09 PM »
Sorry, there is a gaping hole in my AutoCAD knowledge between r13 and 2004 as to available tools and which release they appear.  Is there any means to select "all" diminsions to do the update in one operation with r14.  I don't know if it would work, but I might also try an audit / recovery of the drawing before proceeding "one at a time".

LE

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 07:29:49 PM »
Command: dim1
Dim: update
Select objects: all
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 07:34:13 PM by LE »

LE

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 07:50:30 PM »
I did do UPDATE  on the dimensions and that does bring them back, but it's a long
process because I have to update each dimension. That's why I can't post a drawing
now.

Are you talking about updating each DIMENSION STYLE ? - if so, ignore my previous post....

Jim Yadon

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 08:11:50 PM »
*snip*

now.

*/snip*

My last client that was on R14 just updated to 2002 a few months back so I uninstalled R14 from all of my machines. Thus, I am working from memory with this so you'll have to do alot of the finger work. I think I know what the problem may be but I need you to answer a couple of questions first.

- Are you updating the dimension using the UPDATE command or are you updating the style to get the text back?
-------> if the UPDATE command is working, try typing ALL at the command line rather than selecting individual dimensions.
-------> if you're updating the dimension style to bring them back, I might suggest that you watch the messages that come up when the drawing loads as someone else had previously suggested. If one does, just try substituing a different font in the parent text style for your dimensions.

- Does the geometry of your dimension still look right or have the arrows/hash marks & extensions of the lines disappeared as well?
-------> if this is the case, then you just need to adjust your DIMSCALE variable to the appropriate value. this is the one that caused me the most problems.

vinnyg

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 10:27:11 AM »
I was updating each dimension to bring the text back.

LE,

Using "all" made it a lot easier.

Thanks to all of you for your help.....I don't know what I would do
without you and 'the swamp"!

Thanks again

I still don't know what caused this problem. It;s the first time something like this has happened and I been working with ACAD
for over 13 years. If anybody can tell me why this happened, let
me know.

vinnyg