Author Topic: Draw a 3D 2X12  (Read 8573 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Draw a 3D 2X12
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:54:26 AM »
What is the best way to draw a realistic looking 2X12 in 2011? Realistic in terms of size and shape.

Thanks
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Draw a 3D 2X12
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
What is the best way to draw a realistic looking 2X12 in 2011? Realistic in terms of size and shape.

Thanks
EXTRUDE??
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
Was this supposed to be a trick question?  :-)
Autodesk Expert Elite

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
nope! just trying to figure out what you 3D types use thats all. I'm using extrude now, guess I got it right. :)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
nope! just trying to figure out what you 3D types

Mark, we're all 3D.  :-P
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »
nope! just trying to figure out what you 3D types use thats all. I'm using extrude now, guess I got it right. :)

you were just bored
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »
Depends upon what you'll be doing with it, if it might have to change to a 2x10, etc.

This will make you decide which GRIPS you wish the solid to have, if that is of any importance.

The 'design intent' of that particular plank/board/stud will have to be taken into consideration.  If you create a 2x12 (I know that's not the final dims) rectangle and extrude it, you will get a different set of grips after the object is extruded than if you used a region instead of a rectangle.  Additionally still, you will have different options if you simply use -BOX- to create the solid.  Mainly, a Box can be additionally extruded either direction along the Z axis, as long as having arrow grips along each face to allow you to increase the width/length of the box without having to move each pair of corresponding vertices.  Rectangle-extrusions lack this.

If you want to go the other way and LOCK DOWN what post-modeling modifications can be made, a REGION extruded cannot change profile without using the SOLIDEDIT or PRESSPULL type of commands.  The only caveat to that is that sometime, they apparently added an arrow grip to the destination face of the extruded region that allows you to dynamically adjust the TAPER of the extrusion.  In case the guys at the saw mill had their blade crooked, in this case. ;)

You can also SWEEP a rectangle along a path in case there's some warp in your timber, and add a bit of twist angle to it.

Then you run into special situations where you use a LOFT in either method; a two-profile (start and end sections) or a single profile and path.  You could get into multiple profiles and combine them all with the path, but I think I've already complicated a hunk of timber enough.  This could happen in case one of the corners is lopped or rotted off along the extruded edge.

See attached drawing for examples.

Since you said 'realistic' - should I get into applying materials to the object?  :-D

ETA:  Sorry, just got out of a long 3D model review, and I'm a bit wired on Monster energy drinks because I had to get up at 4am for this meeting with some Aussies.

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »
:|

I just realized.

Did you mean to ask if it's modeled to nominal or actual size?  If so, actual, always, as it would affect wall thicknesses and/or floor-to-floor heights.

barc

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »
IN addition to James' many ways of creating the solid shape, I usually need a material list from the model, so I use blocks. create the block to actual dimensions 1.5x3.5 for a 2x4, and make it 1" tall.  Then when inserting the block you can control length by the Z scale factor.  DATAEXTRACTION will report Zscale and block and you'll know how much 2x4 to buy.  There are a few "nesting" tools out there that will take the raw data, nest into a specified purchase length of material and produce a purchase list with minimum "drops".

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 01:27:21 PM »
OR..... you could upgrade your AutoCAD license to one of the Building Design Suites, install Revit (either one will do), create a lumber family (if one doesn't already exist), create the various types (sizes) of lumber required, load them, create your model and create a schedule view to automatically sum the lumber by type & length.  Oh, and don't forget to create parameters for purchasing & installation costs so you can tally that up as well.   :-)
Autodesk Expert Elite

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »
And maybe add a parameter for required # of nails per piece of lumber.  You know... just so you can be as accurate as possible.  OR... you can create a nail family!!   :evil:
Autodesk Expert Elite

barc

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 01:31:33 PM »
Excellent idea ... hmmm, lessee now where do I keep that great big bag of money I don't need ...

deegeecees

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »
And maybe add a parameter for required # of nails per piece of lumber.  You know... just so you can be as accurate as possible.  OR... you can create a nail family!!   :evil:

Reminds me of someone who was hired and let go from here at work. He modeled up conceptuals with all bolts/washers/hardware. Talk about unnecessary bloat.

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 01:59:17 PM »

Reminds me of someone who was hired and let go from here at work. He modeled up conceptuals with all bolts/washers/hardware. Talk about unnecessary bloat.
There was a guy who used to work here that modeled a root beer float in AutoCAD.  He also lost his car for a week.
Autodesk Expert Elite

deegeecees

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »

There was a guy who used to work here that modeled a root beer float in AutoCAD.  He also lost his car for a week.

Not sure which of those is funnier.