Author Topic: Just a topic I was wondering about  (Read 5093 times)

lispman21

Just a topic I was wondering about
« on: August 03, 2006, 03:22:15 PM »
I was wondering what the best and most secure way to protect a bunch of lisp files.  I know anything that has been encrypted can be decrypted.  So its not the case that i don't want to keep anyone out because its almost impossible.  Just maybe someway to add password protection, or specify a length of time the program can be used, or something like that so that not everyone can get in.  The reason for this is because I have a few programs(more like 20) that i know my employer is going to want when ever they find out that i do some programming and have done 2 months of work in 2 weeks because of the use of lisp.  Just need a way to protect my files from them until I am atleast compensated.

All Ideas welcome.

nivuahc

Re: Just a topic I was wondering about
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 03:37:01 PM »
My gut says: If you wrote those routines on their time, it's (at least partly) their code.

If you wrote it on your own time and you use it at work you are under no obligation to share the fruits of your labor for free.

That being said, keep them on an encrypted USB stick if you're worried about it. Mark posted some info about TrueCrypt the other day and I've been (very happily) using it since.

BAshworth

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 04:41:53 PM »
If they are lisp, compile them into FAS files, then keep the Lsp files on a usb stick as suggested.  FAS files are not as easy to decrypt as you might think.. *grumbles about previous cad manager at my last job*

If it's VBA, you can add a password to your project.

Both ways are fairly unsecure, but they are general reminders to your employer that this is not their property.  Unless you wrote it using their computers, and on the clock, in which case YOU have no intellectual property rights, since you have already been paid for your time writing the programs.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 04:58:11 PM »
Just a quick note to add to what's already been said -- many employers will claim ownership for everything you do that's work related -- even if you do it on YOUR time. Best bet would be to check the terms of your employment before investing time and effort for naught.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Tom Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 10:06:52 AM »
Also, the employer may have policies and/or feelings about installing and/or running "unauthorized" software.

Trying to put myself in the employer's shoes, if I had one person who brought in their own tools, which allowed them to work at four times the usual rate, but refused to make the tools available to the rest of the company, I wouldn't be real happy wiith him. Mainly because it says loud and clear that he's more concerned with trying to make himself look good than with the company's success, and that's an attitude that wouldn't exactly thrill me.

If (as others have said) you actually own these lisps outright, you probably ought to offer to tweak the routines to tailor them to the company's needs, and sell or license those versions to the company. Or make programming part of your job description, with the understanding that what you write on the job is 100% oowned by the company.

IMHO you probably should have dealt with these issues before going on the payroll. As you have acknowledged, there is probably going to be some static over this. There are some ways to add a degree of protection to your files, in addition to compilation, but I think the first issues aren't going to be about programming.

lispman21

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 10:13:54 AM »
I understand where everyone is coming from.  My employer has asked for me to find a way to distribute these programs over the internet.  He wants to take the precautions to protect the files so that not every avarage joe of the street can get the program and change to how they would like it.

BAshworth

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 10:17:28 AM »
My employer has asked for me to find a way to distribute these programs over the internet.  He wants to take the precautions to protect the files so that not every avarage joe of the street can get the program and change to how they would like it.

Open up the V-Lisp editor, compile them to .FAS then.  Easiest way to do this.

Tom Smith

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »
Now I'm confused. The original question sounded like how to keep the files from the boss. Now it's how to help the boss distribute them but with some sort of control.

As far as concealing the source code, AFAIK the FAS compilation is "good enough" protection. With all due respect, it's unlikely that you've written code so revolutionary and earth-shattering that someone else couldn't write their own code to replicate its functionality independently, with less effort than it would take to reverse-engineer the FAS.

But compilation alone isn't enough to keep any average joe from *using* the FAS if they obtain a copy of it. If that's okay with you, fine.

At my firm, we don't want our proprietary lisps being "shared" outside the office at all, without authorization, so I take some extra measures besides comiplation to prevent that.

LE

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 12:32:09 PM »
As far as concealing the source code, AFAIK the FAS compilation is "good enough" protection. With all due respect, it's unlikely that you've written code so revolutionary and earth-shattering that someone else couldn't write their own code to replicate its functionality independently, with less effort than it would take to reverse-engineer the FAS.

:roll::lol:

True.

psuchewinner

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 03:37:53 PM »
Is there a way to decompile a "VLX" file?

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 03:45:46 PM »
<quickly making popcorn>
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 04:09:35 PM »
*pulling up a chair and breaking out the Raisinets*

LE

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »
If hot salsa needed for the popcorn - let me know...

BAshworth

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 12:46:04 AM »
Is there a way to decompile a "VLX" file?

Short answer, "Probably."

Long anser, "Probably, but there's probably a reson it was encrypted to begin with."

I'm going easy on you for one simple reason.  I have been the victim of compiling something to .exe, and then having my source code deleted.  Leaving me with a program that works, but can never be updated without recoding the WHOLE FRIGGIN THING! *pant pant*

Tom Smith

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 01:47:03 AM »
Luis, just a dash of salsa, thank you.

Apparently, when you compile your lisp, it's not a good idea to delete your source code.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 05:47:06 AM »
There are several satisfactory ways to skin that cat ..

...  [hmmm] popcorn [/hmm]

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.