Author Topic: Howto rescale geometry w/o changing dim values?  (Read 2568 times)

havano

Howto rescale geometry w/o changing dim values?
« on: August 01, 2006, 08:14:40 AM »
I have to reposition geometry (mainly LWpolylines and dimensions) to fit within 4 adjacent A4 drawing sheets in a DWG file's model space. Therefore the geometry must be repositioned and rescaled. I have got some solutions for repositioning and re-orientation. But how do I rescale the geometry without changing the original dimension values (and without tampering with layer orientation and/or scaling)?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:19:57 AM by havano »

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
Re: Howto rescale geometry w/o changing dim values?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 09:34:51 AM »
I guess you need to make a new dimscale for each different scale.
(You could end up with a dimscale of 1 to 5.7 etc)
I draw in frames that are the size of the paper and scaled to a correct dimscale. Then I have a function to click on the frame from paperspace and it will scale the frame and its contents to the correct size. Since there is a titleblock in paperspace thee viewport  is drawn to the correct size by snapping to the titleblock.
It works very well and saves having bizaar dimscales.

havano

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 10:45:58 AM »
Thanks for the pointer, Bryco, I expect it will provide me with a solution to the problem. At the moment I don't have access to my Acad/VBA environment. But when I'm back I'll look into the DIMSCALE property and its possibilities.

I think, I will first have to find the rescaling and repositioning parameters to fit all geometry within each destination sheet's frame (and outside its titleblock), I quess I'll use approximating loops for finding the optimi. Then I do the actual changes, using DIMSCALE to compensate for the geometry scaling effects on the dim values.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:57:12 AM by havano »

CADaver

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 12:24:50 PM »
Don't scale the geometry (ever), scale the drawing frame.

havano

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 03:36:58 PM »
I might agree, CADaver, if I expected changes to the drawing afterwards. I don't. It's just for plotting and archiving.

Still, I might scale the quadrant of drawing sheets to fit the dimensioned geometry, then position this geometry unscaled (in 2 of the sheet frames), and then scale the remaining geometry (which is purely cosmetic) down to fit the available space (in the other 2 sheet frames). This way, the critical geometry can easily be altered and re-dimensioned afterwards (which I think will never happen ... did I mention that?).

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 05:54:02 PM »
I won't get into the critique on what you are doing or how you are doing it.  Not my business.
Ya' know, some times I agree with the concept of "different strokes fer different folks", but for some things there is a "right" way (or several) and a "wrong" way (or several).  Sorry, but scaling geometry so that it'll fit on the page is a "wrong" way that results in a lotta work to get it to LOOK "right".  Scaling "some" objects and leaving others alone is gonna be a nightmare somewhere down line.  I know that they're not supposed to be touched again, but if that is really true why bother archiveing them?

The obvious answer is do it "right", and there are several methods for that.  One of which is put each frame in it's own layout at 1:1 scale, open viewport(s) and zoom the viewports to the proper scale, another would be scale each frame to the proper scale for the geometry it contains.  Scaling the geometry ceased being a viable option with R11.

Now if you MUST continue down that path, explode the dimensions so that they no longer update when scaled.

havano

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 06:43:53 PM »
The subdivision into several sheets is a last-minute demand of my customer. It will visualize and make easily plottable the end result of a parametric drawing macro of mine, which is so perfect it will need no manual alterations  :roll:. Storing the drawing is only for legal purposes I suppose. But otherwise, of course I support your "gospel", CADaver. I promise to pursue your line of approach in the future whenever I can.