Author Topic: A really cool trick with dynamic blocks.  (Read 15399 times)

daron

A really cool trick with dynamic blocks.
« on: July 28, 2006, 11:49:47 AM »
Did you know you can mirror actions? Take a leader with a single 90 degree bend in it and mirror it. Add a linear parameter to one length of a bend on one leader and another linear parameter encompassing the whole. Now, add a stretch action to the overall parameter on both leaders, so as to imply that each stretch action would stretch the leader and arrow out or in and leave the endpoint in place. Select the Linear (Distance) Parameter and open your properties palette.Set the chain actions option to yes and number of grips to 1. Now, select the stretch action that is opposite of the Linear Parameter's grip arrow and in properties change the Distance override to -1.0000. That's cool for an exterior mirrored stretch, but it works the same with the endpoints of this example, where the endpoints would be stretching towards each other, which is why I mentioned the first parameter be placed on one length in the beginning. Do nearly the same thing as above, except this time, the stretch action not within the parameters distance should have its distance override set to -1.0000. Below is an example of what I'm trying to convey.

ELOQUINTET

Re: A really cool trick with dynamic blocks.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:07:29 AM »
i got one word:

video

it sounds interesting but it's hard to follow what you are talking about here

daron

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 09:21:30 AM »
Sorry, Dan. I don't know how to do video. I almost didn't even post a picture. I know you're into dynamic blocks. If/When my server gets back online, I'll just post a drawing of DBlocks in your other thread you started, with a few ideas I've come up with. Feel free to disect them.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 11:43:39 AM »
cool thanks daron i've developed alot of stuff. did you look at the stuff i uploaded?

daron

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:17:04 PM »
Yes, I did. I've uploaded a dwg for consumption and disection. Go check it out. I commented on yours in your thread.

whdjr

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 11:28:47 AM »
I didn't quite follow that one either Daron.  How about a before and after photo?  :-)

daron

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »
Maybe later. I don't think a b&a picture would properly convey it either. I may just have to do a step-by-step on it.

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 12:54:32 PM »
i got one word:

video

it sounds interesting but it's hard to follow what you are talking about here

Camtasia, maybe?

Kate M

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 12:19:19 PM »
I know I've done the same thing without chaining parameters...lemme see if I can find it.

hyposmurf

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 09:43:51 AM »
Try http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx  bit of software.Can use it to make low res vids of your on screen directions.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 05:06:32 PM by hyposmurf »

Kate M

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 12:50:12 PM »
Daron, would this do what you're talking about?

In the image, the distance parameter has its base set to midpoint. There's one stretch associated with each end of the distance parameter (when it prompts "specify parameter point to associate with action"). Distance multiplier = 1, angle offset = 0 for both actions.

daron

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 02:13:54 PM »
Yes, for one of the distances and as long as your stretch1 is stretching in a direction opposite of the selected stretch point. Example: if you grip the stretch point on the right side and move to the left, your stretch1 end-object would move to the right, vice-versa. I had three distances because I was stretching 2 directions for each distance, but it's the same basic principle. I guess I could have done something more simplistic to make it easier to understand. I just thought it was cool that I was able to do what I had done and wanted to share. I've never messed with the angle offset. I assume that would constrain the stretch, which I also assumed that the stretch command did anyway.

Mr Cory

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 11:15:36 PM »
Daron, you can achieve the same result using the angle offset property of the stretch instead of the negitive dis muliplier, never thought to use a neg though.  :-D

DaveW

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 08:49:42 AM »
This shows how different people use ACAD. I hate blocks and avoid them when possible. Perhaps I need to spend a bit more time looking at my annotation processes. I am sure there is room for improvment there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 08:53:00 AM by DaveW »

daron

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 10:15:29 AM »
This shows how different people use ACAD. I hate blocks and avoid them when possible. Perhaps I need to spend a bit more time looking at my annotation processes. I am sure there is room for improvment there.
Blocks or DBlocks? I can't imagine anyone hating blocks, but to each his own, right? I can understand a dislike for DBlocks, though. They can be a bit complicated and frustrating when they don't work as expected and would be nice if they worked in 3 dimensions.

whdjr

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 11:44:59 AM »
...They can be a bit complicated and frustrating when they don't work as expected and would be nice if they worked in 3 dimensions.

We can't get all the bugs features worked out for 2 dimensions yet and you want to go and add a 3rd dimension?!?!?!?!?    :loco:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:46:47 AM by whdjr »

Mr Cory

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 09:46:55 PM »
...They can be a bit complicated and frustrating when they don't work as expected and would be nice if they worked in 3 dimensions.

We can't get all the bugs features worked out for 2 dimensions yet and you want to go and add a 3rd dimension?!?!?!?!?    :loco:

Well if we have to features to play with the more we will get right, the flip side is we get more wrong, but the main thing is the more we get right  :-P