Author Topic: Block insertion and trim objects it covers  (Read 2551 times)

hyposmurf

Block insertion and trim objects it covers
« on: July 25, 2006, 04:01:00 AM »
Sure this has been asked before but is there any possible way to have a block ionserted and it to have its own preconfigured trim line?This would mean that it would insert and that any objects falling side the block would automatically terim.I know the block can be inserted and then the trim command initiated but I was looking for something a bit smarter.I guess the dynamic blocks are unable to do this?What the block would need to do is:
Be inserted to the drawing at required scale and position
Start the trim command
Select all objects crossing the external perimeter of the block
Use the external perimiter of the block as the trimming edge
Trim all objects within this perimeter
Tall order I know but it would be kind of neat to have a block that would insert and trim the necessary objects.Could be used in shcematics etc.

Bob Wahr

Re: Block insertion and trim objects it covers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 08:44:28 AM »
It could be done using <your choice of programming languages inserted here>, but I would suggest placing a wipeout in your block to obscure what's under it.  I have an aversion to trimming drawing lines to accomodate annotation.

hyposmurf

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:13:03 PM »
Never thought about that Bob not a bad idea,thanks :-) I'd still be interested to se any programs that accomplish the timming part when you insert.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 04:19:41 PM »
hyposmurf , have a look on Jurg's site for a block trimmer ... least I think it was his site .. :-)

may be worth a playing with ..
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

craigr

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 11:41:55 AM »
hyposmurf , have a look on Jurg's site for a block trimmer ... least I think it was his site .. :-)

This 'trim thing' would REALLY be sweet. Where is this 'Jurg's site'?

craigr

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 11:56:13 AM »
It could be done using <your choice of programming languages inserted here>, but I would suggest placing a wipeout in your block to obscure what's under it.  I have an aversion to trimming drawing lines to accomodate annotation.
I agree with Bob on the wipeout. If you really need one to trim lines when the block is inserted I've got a routine for inserting boats on utilities that could be modified for what you need.
I drink beer and I know things....

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 01:58:22 PM »
The problem with wipeouts is the plotting/PDF issue where they're inconsistent. Could you do it with a white 'fill' maybe?

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 02:08:12 PM »

This 'trim thing' would REALLY be sweet. Where is this 'Jurg's site'?

craigr

Jürg Menzi

MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH
I drink beer and I know things....

Bob Wahr

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 08:19:16 AM »
The problem with wipeouts is the plotting/PDF issue where they're inconsistent. Could you do it with a white 'fill' maybe?
They're entirely consistant, just not very good.  Wipeouts set to a color which is in turn set to 0% screen gets the job done for me.