Author Topic: 3d dynamic blocks  (Read 11454 times)

Draftek

3d dynamic blocks
« on: July 26, 2006, 09:44:23 AM »
Autodesk has not provided us with this functionality.

Any of you resourcefull people found a work around?

Draftek

Re: 3d dynamic blocks
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 10:15:45 AM »
Never mind. What I need to do cannot be done. I would need a x, y and z parameter.

If you had a defined shape (x-y) and needed to extrude in z, you could probably create your own solid with faces and then manipulate the insertion ucs / direction and get it to work. The ultimate problem for me is that I need an adjustable parameter in all 3 axis.

sorry.

Matersammichman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 04:15:35 PM »
Why not use User-Defined Multi-View blocks?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 04:20:26 PM »
Ok .. lets see .. I know simple solids can be manipulated in all 3 planes while part of a block. Several years ago, we designed a program that utilized 3d solids to build building parts (joists, studs, rafters etc.) Each part was able to be scaled (as a block) in any plane. However this would not work for many complex parts unless you were clever enough to devise a method by which some solids were scaled and some were not.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

spawnd

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 10:46:44 AM »
I have been able to get around it...at least in ADT 2006.  I use structural members.  Create your profile and attach it to either a beam or column. 

Tramber

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 10:45:41 AM »
I'm someone who got involved in GDL from Graphisoft.

It was fantastic with the adaptor for AutoCAD but unfortunatly the developpment has been discontinued.

It was brilliant to make 3D dynamics (parametric to be more precise) blocks.

In an other hand, you can make stretchable 3D blocks by using surfaces instead of solids. I've experienced that in the dynamic block editor.
And it works

Draftek

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 11:57:41 AM »
Bert,

Can you explain in a little more detail. I'm not understanding how to use a suface as a 3d entity in the dynamic block editor.

Thanks

Tramber

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 01:29:29 PM »
I ever made a dynamic bloc with a stretch possibility along X or Y. I don't want you to imagine it is possible along Z  ^-^

Nothing more.
Not sure it worked on surfaces, maybe there were 3Dfaces only. Can't remember. But it worked.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 02:12:22 PM »
I haven't tried this, but can't you make a nested block with a Z-vertex? If a scale action is performed in the X/Y direction Z will also change (I think :P ).
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

daron

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 02:35:47 PM »
I ever made a dynamic bloc with a stretch possibility along X or Y. I don't want you to imagine it is possible along Z  ^-^

Nothing more.
Not sure it worked on surfaces, maybe there were 3Dfaces only. Can't remember. But it worked.
I just tried it. You can't get a parameter to work on an object in a z-direction. B-blocks only work in an X/Y plane.

togores

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »
Constraints (geometric and dimensional) can only be applied on the XY Plane.
But if you rotate and move the XY plane?
The attached example works in R2011 or higher.