Author Topic: where did you lurn LISP ?  (Read 9729 times)

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
where did you lurn LISP ?
« on: July 17, 2006, 02:54:04 PM »
Hi all...

Some of you are amazing !
and was just curious to know
Where did you lurn LISP? and what is your BIG reference for programming ?

Book ? Internet ? Course ?
Keep smile...

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: where did you lurn LISP ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 02:58:22 PM »
There was no Internet when I started to learn .. :-)

.. I learnt from the help files .. and trial and error testing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:00:30 PM by Kerry Brown »
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 03:00:11 PM »
^^^ Same here. "Book"
I drink beer and I know things....

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 03:02:04 PM »
I'm not part of the amazing group, but I will tell you where I learned.

First from a co-worker.  Wrote a few small programs.
Then changed jobs, and didn't write for a year or so.
Wrote little ones to do what I needed done at the time, mostly with help from the help files.
Then found the Adesk Ng about  two years later.  There I found a lot of help, and learned a lot by reading others posts, and trying to code what they did.
Found this place, and I continue to grow with the help of the amazing coders here.

So I guess I learned mostly from the help files, and just coding.  When I got stuck there, I would post to the Adesk Ng before, but now I post here when I get stuck.

And I'm looking forward to maybe learning a new language with the help of the people who frequent theswamp.

Thanks to all who have helped me along my way.  Much respect.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 03:11:33 PM »
AfraLISP was my main resource before I fell into The Swamp

Sdoman

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 03:21:21 PM »
Didn't have The Internet when I first started.  So I learned from AutoCAD's sample code and reading whatever books I could find.  Then came Cadlyst which helped a lot.  Burned the midnight oil hacking my code until it would work. Now I primarily use News Groups such as this fine place.  Am reading "Essential Autolisp" at this time.  Best book I've ever read on the subject.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 03:46:48 PM »
It was baptism by fire: I was working as a junior programming wiener on a GIS project about 16 years ago. Although had been programming for a decade or so in various dialects of BASIC (QB/TB/PB/PDS yada) I'd only been writing LISP for a couple years; nominal stuff. Anyway, long story short, we kept getting code from a third party and it wouldn't run. I wined to my boss whose response was "Fix it". My response was something like "But ... I don't know LISP". Blank unblinking stare. One of the first things I did was spend 3 days creating my own on-line LISP help by typing out the entire LISP manual into a formatted text file to use with PC-Write, my second code editor (which I had to prompty abandon in favor of Q-Edit and then Multi-Edit because PC-Write had a 384 KB file size limit). That project yielded enough LISP code to fill a 3" binder using compressed print; about half that again in R:BASE SQL and Quick BASIC.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

BAshworth

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 03:57:03 PM »
Programming in general I'd done since I was about 10 years old.  GWBasic, MBasic, QBasic.. no money for games so I used to write my own out of a series of books I found at my local library.  Zork kind of games.

Lisp I learned mostly from trial and error.  Using the help files, and little snippets I found on the net and from older routines at places I worked.

As for VBA, Afralisp is where I got my first tutorial, and then went on from there.

I've never read a book on programming, tried once, but fell asleep shortly after the table of contents.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »
Mastering Autolisp V. 10
While in school, I finished up all my projects early, so I needed to fill 3 weeks before graduation.  I chose to learn lisp
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 04:10:25 PM »
I took up lisp about  3 years ago over at cadalog.
Mostly getting help from the generous people that are still here.
Oh, you do have to read the help files & tutorials found on the internet. 8-)
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

LE

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 04:32:25 PM »
On the street....

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 07:24:59 PM »
I wath born with a lithp, but I learned to write code by uthing examplth provided by Autodethk, many of which I modified to thuit my needth.

Ok .. so I don't have a lisp .. but it was fun to write it ...I learned from trial and error ... lots of code studying .. and of course the occasional code tidbit found here and from the old Cadalog web site.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 07:06:38 AM »
I was fortunate enough to have a co-worker that was very proficient in AutoLISP, she taught me a lot. I also purchased the book Autolisp Programming: Principles and Techniques which also helped very much. I was also a big reader of the news groups and mailing lists.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

daron

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 07:32:18 AM »
I too learned from a co-worker who was proficient in lisp and a few other languages. Then I learned from John and others at Cadalog, then here. I've read books, but only to solidify what I already knew.

qjchen

• Bull Frog
  • Best wishes to all
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 10:51:09 AM »
Althought I am still at low Lisp level, but every one has his learning road.

I learn acad and lisp at 1996. What attract me  to Lisp is a function for drawing "sin" curve in a book.
Then for a long time, most of the Lisp I wrote is just a batch command that just combining several command and in one. and they give happy.  Then download some lisp from http://www.cadshack.com/lispfile.htm.
(now the website has changed)

Because we only use autocad 14, so I reject to learn vlisp, until 2004, in order to skin a grid structure, which need xdata.  From then on, I read some book and start to study the visual lisp, I find a new world and find I get far behind the Lisp, so I start to  learn vlisp from help, book and internet.  Now I learned a lot from google group and theswamp.

Lisp is wonderful thing, now I always treat Lisp as LEGO toys, it give us some useful tools and materials, and we build a high rise.  Althought I am not major in programming, but  in the leisure time, some strange idea about  accelerating or improving the drawing speed often jump out.  Lisp give me the capacity of controling the geometry entity.Maybe I has been cought by Lisp.
http://qjchen.mjtd.com
My blog http://chenqj.blogspot.com (Chinese, can be translate into English)

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 11:43:06 AM »
thanks all.... for your responses..

Unfortunatly....my english is poor..and can't find french site or book programming.,, :oops:

I have books.. from bill khramer (english) and Serge Camire (french)
But I lurn much more in this wonderful site....theswamp.

You help me so much improving my programs and all I have to say is...

! THANK YOU VERY MUCH !
Keep smile...

Bob Wahr

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 11:46:03 AM »
How's your Spanish?

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 12:56:26 PM »
I'm with Mark on this one.  Fantastic book.  I also learned from Adesk NG, The Swamp, AfraLISP, and The help files.

ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 03:22:08 PM »
I have not learned yet.
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

Sdoman

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 03:23:57 PM »
I have not learned yet.

Good one Gary :)

Actually I learned from the book: Steal This Code

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 06:08:51 PM »
Learned\ing from theswamp the AutoCAD Developer Help and MP'S atoms.vlx has help me a ton with the wild card search for vl functions.

And of course google and I are great friends.  :-D

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

uncoolperson

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 11:20:56 AM »
beer and help files mostly
(and it shows... man, my stuff is crap)

FengK

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 02:21:22 AM »
I read a book "Autolisp in Plain English" when I first started learning lisp.  After that is reading help files, websites, news groups, etc., but mostly is learning through writing programs.

V-Man

• Bull Frog
  • I exist therefore I am! Finally Retired!
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 09:00:08 AM »

I am a self learner myself. I was not lucky enough to have a co-worker experienced with this knowlege. I purchased the book Autolisp Programming: Principles and Techniques to get me started. I am still learning (as always) and with the help of the Swamp "Gods" who by the way have been very instructive and informative, I will someday become a intermediate programmer, hopefully. Kudos to all of the guys here at the swamp, the Best Lisp/VBA etc... resource (in my opinion) on the Net.  :-)
AutoCAD 9 - 2023, AutoCADMap 2008 - 2010, Revit 2012 - 2022, Autocad Civil 3D 2023

psuchewinner

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 03:08:39 PM »
"AutoLisp in Plain English" here also.  I worked for a company that had a full-time programmer and they told me I could not do it.  Never tell me I cant do something.  I will do it just out of spite.  Love the challenge and love to learn.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 06:59:58 PM »
That's a good attitude to have but not very realistic.  For example, you can't give me a whole lot of cash.

<Sits back waiting>
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 01:37:02 AM by Bob Wahr »

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 01:24:11 AM »
That's a godd attitude to have but not very realistic.  For example, you can't give me a whole lot of cash.

<Sits back waiting>

:-D

psuchewinner

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2006, 07:15:42 AM »
That's a good attitude to have but not very realistic.  For example, you can't give me a whole lot of cash.

<Sits back waiting>

I could, but it wouldn't be real.  Monopoly cash for example! :-D
Thought the art of "Splitting Hairs" was lost.
I can almost always find an out.  Aggraveate a lot of people.  Thanks for the chuckle.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2006, 08:07:03 AM »
It really had a lot less to do with splitting hairs and a lot more with trying to get some easy cash.  What if I dared you?

CADaver

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2006, 08:22:03 AM »
or a "double-dog-dare"???

I thought I knew a little Lisp until I started reading the stuff posted here at the Swamp.  Now I don't know it at all.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2006, 10:49:26 AM »

I thought I knew a little Lisp until I started reading the stuff posted here at the Swamp.  Now I don't know it at all.

Don't feel bad, I just discovered I don't know squat about dogs.

:lmao:
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CADaver

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2006, 12:47:01 PM »

Don't feel bad, I just discovered I don't know squat about dogs.

:lmao:
ow,ow,ow hot coffee through sinus passages...

DEVITG

• Bull Frog
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2006, 12:15:51 PM »
My first LISP book was/is a  Ron Leigh LISP course, I can not find his web page now.

He is a school teacher , and had plenty of work done about lisp and DWG to do by pupil

See how used it is , I have to change the front cover

IMHO , it is as the ABC book for first grade children

Location @ Córdoba Argentina Using ACAD 2019  at Window 10

psuchewinner

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 07:59:41 AM »

Double-Dog Dare?  I will up that and Triple-Dog-Dare you to................On a cold day......when I hear Double-Dog-Dare, I think of the movie "A Christmas Story" and the tongue to the flag pole. :-) :-)

Tramber

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 09:56:41 AM »
thanks all.... for your responses..

Unfortunatly....my english is poor..and can't find french site or book programming.,, :oops:

I have books.. from bill khramer (english) and Serge Camire (french)
But I lurn much more in this wonderful site....theswamp.

Salut Andrea.

You are maybe forgetting a great French Autolisp book named "La CAO par le menu" by Contenson (or Contensou...), it's dated of version 11 but you can still buy it online (I suppose you don't need it anymore, it is for beginners).

It is the book I started with. Then, I also bought Bill Khramer books and some others. Then I add a better access on the net and learnt through a french forum http://www.cadxp.com

Serge Camire is a (online) friend of mine. I met him IRL when he came in Europe from Canada last year. I got most of his books. Some I bought, some he offered me.
He is the best mentor I ever had.

But still, I'm not a really good Autolisper, I'm now experienced but still not very good. Basically, I'm a civil engineer, this must be the deep reason  :-)

zoltan

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2006, 02:57:49 PM »
I learned lisp a long time ago from a book called "Essential AutoLISP" by Roy Harkow.  ISBN: 0387945717

It was such a great book, but I lent it to someone and never got it back!  :cry:

Sdoman

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 08:20:19 AM »
I learned lisp a long time ago from a book called "Essential AutoLISP" by Roy Harkow.  ISBN: 0387945717

It was such a great book, but I lent it to someone and never got it back!  :cry:

Essential AutoLISP is....well,  essential!  IMO the best book on the subject.

Sdoman

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 08:24:12 AM »
See how used it is , I have to change the front cover

Ewww!  That's a pic of a well used book.  <scrubbing monitor>