Author Topic: Dynamic blocks queries  (Read 9087 times)

hyposmurf

Dynamic blocks queries
« on: July 06, 2006, 04:48:05 AM »
My lunch hour is usually taken up sorting out bills,buying furniture and setting this and that up for my new flat.We have 2007 at work,but not at home so I cant rreally have a play with all the new features and learn how all the new features work as weve got a constant heavy workload.
Im curently looking at the dynamic blocks and have maanged to create one to rotate but am bit lost as to how to create one to do the following:
Scale at preset specified increments
have a pop up to choose the colour,layer of the block or variation of the block

Which parameters/actions are needed and what processes?In the help file it mentions my authoring palettes,but when I look at mine they come up but are blank. :?
Also can these blocks be created and modified in AutoCAD light?How about backwards compatibility with say AutoCAD 2000/2004 will these just appear as normal blocks for those users?

hudster

• Gator
Re: Dynamic blocks queries
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:58:01 AM »
Colour, layer and variations can be done with visibility states.
Scale? I haven't done that yet, but i'm working on it.

You can create dynamic blocks with AutoCAD 2007 LT, but not 2006 LT, that can only use them, or so I was led to believe anyway.

We use dynamic radiator blocks for varying sizes, and they just act like normal blocks to our older users.
They are so powerful, i'm working on a block which can rotate, scale and have visibility states, it's getting complicated really fast.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

hyposmurf

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 07:40:29 AM »
Scale? I haven't done that yet, but i'm working on it.

We use dynamic radiator blocks for varying sizes, and they just act like normal blocks to our older users.
yes what I meant was to have a preset scales for say different size radiators and the user would just pick each size radiator from a drop down list or just move the rad in one direction and increments would be shown.The radiator would need to just scale in just one direction.How was your radiator block created?I only wish I could use 2007 at home then I'd have more time to learn new tricks.
Thanks for the feedback so far Andy.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 07:52:45 AM »
I Created a normal radiator block, then I added a distance parameter.

I then put a stretch action on each end of the radiator, associated with the distance parameter.
using the properties dialogue, I changed the distance parameter to chain the stretch actions, set the distance type to a list and added the sizes I wanted, and changed the number of grips to 1.

I changed the stretch actions and set them both to a distance multiplier of 0.5, one set to 0 degrees the other to 180, this stretches the block from the centre.

hope this helps.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Sdoman

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 08:15:48 AM »
To start learning about making dynamic blocks, I recommend running AutoCAD's "New Features Workshop", found in the Help menu.  The workshop will first give you an overview of what a dblock is, then step you through making a sample block or two.

After that, I recommend reading the "Dynamic Blocks Best Practices Series" found here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=7024848

As for scaling a dblock, you can use a linear parameter with a scale action.  For preset scales, you could have a linear parameter with 1 grip, and set the parameter's "Value Set" property to "increment" or "list".  Then when the user moves the grip, the block will scale in increments or by the values in the list.   

Alternatively, use a linear parameter but turn off the grip.  Add a scale action to the linear parameter.  Now add a Lookup table to drive the linear parameter (which drives the scale action).  Using a lookup, the user can click on the lookup grip, which will pop-up a list of scales you provided.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 02:08:17 AM »
On dgcad there are 5 very good video tutorials  how to create dynamic blocks.

I don't use 2007, so I can't help you with these new options:
  • Dynamic block lookup tables now by default are set to "Allow Reverse Lookup". -  "Allow Reverse Lookup enables the lookup property for a block reference to be set from a drop-down list that is displayed when the lookup grip is clicked in a drawing. Selecting an option from this list changes the block reference to match the corresponding input property values in the table."
  • It's possible to change dynamic block properties during Insert.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection