Author Topic: VBA Controls Project  (Read 40374 times)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Re: VBA Controls Project
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2006, 12:55:01 PM »
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2006, 01:27:13 PM »
Tim,

Back in the olden times there was AutoLISP, Diesel, and ADS for customizing AutoCAD.  Both AutoLISP and ADS used DCL to create a GUI (graphical user interface).  When Microsoft took over the world, AutoLISP became VisualLISP, ADS became ADSRX (which was later shortened to ARX), and VB became the new kid on the block.  Well, AutoCAD and it's users didn't want to throw away years of customization and development so VB graciously gave them MFC (Microsoft Forms Class).  ARX, being fully assimilated by the borg, er I mean Microsoft, had direct access to MFC - VisuaLISP, however, stubbornly maintained singularity - thus was forced to compete with the dreaded Visual Basic for Applications(VBA) to be the casual programmers language of choice.

The evil empire, with the dark lord "Darth Va", ah, I mean VB, had almost taken control of the known virtual universe but for a rag tag band of AutoLISPers who started a rebellion.  They secretly realized that the evil empire had unwittingly provided a way to control the evil VBA when they made AutoLISP "activex aware".  By utilizing the power of the VL application they were able to communicate with VBA, providing it with false information as to the where abouts of their secret base . . .. Well, you get the picture. 

So we're using VBA - which has a much more robust GUI - to create really cool dialog boxes - while still doing all the hard work in AutoLISP.  This way we're thumbing our nose at Microsoft and clinging to our aging, single purpose language: AutoLISP.

Make any sense?
James Buzbee
Windows 8

Bob Wahr

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2006, 02:10:16 PM »
The evil empire, with the dark lord "Darth Va", ah, I mean VB,
I always wondered what DVB stood for.  Now I know it's [Flava Flav]Darth Vader Boyyyyyyy[/i][/FF]

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2006, 02:18:17 PM »
Actually, DVB is short for Dilapidated Version of BASIC.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2006, 02:43:04 PM »
So let me get this straight. 
You are creating forms with VBA and controlling them with LISP? VLISP?  How do you get feedback from the form?  (Forgive me, but this is really getting ready to open some possibilities, er I think)

I played with the project for a little bit but I just haven't been able to put the pieces together, YET.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

TR

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2006, 02:45:17 PM »
Let me prefix my post with the fact that I'm 100% unfamiliar with ObjectDCL. But from what I understand it's unsupported in 2007.

In 2007 you can create functions that that interact with lisp in .NET. With that being said...wouldn't it be a better idea to create an ObjectDCL replacement with System.Windows.Forms in .NET? System.Windows.Forms has more user controls than VBA.

It might be a good group project. However I don't have 2007 so I'm out.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2006, 02:48:45 PM »
I would love to be a part of that project.  VS2005 express C# would be a perfect way (its free) to code it
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2006, 02:55:28 PM »
Tim S.

The great Tony Tanzillo penned three VBA sub functions: GetLispVar, SetLispVar, and EvalLispExpression.  With these functions VBA can: read a lisp variable, set a lisp variable, and execute a lisp function.  So as you can see, a VBA form can communicate quite nicely with AutoLISP.  Once you have time to digest VBA you'll be able to use our VBA Controls Project to understand how it all works.

Tim R.

AutoLISP.net would be awesome - maybe that's why Chad abandoned ObjectDCL?  Can you imagine creating palettes in ,net and controlling them with AutoLISP???
James Buzbee
Windows 8

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2006, 02:58:06 PM »
The great Tony Tanzillo...

going a little overboard you think
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Bob Wahr

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2006, 03:52:02 PM »
JB,

In the form for the listbox todo, you say maybe xrefs.  Do you want all xrefs including nested, just the ones inserted directly, or all of them?

[edit]Wow started this post before lunch, finshed after, lots has happened since.  some .netage would be fun to tear into but for now, I'll keep going on this.[/edit]

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2006, 04:05:04 PM »
Bob, I was thinking of mimicking the Xref Dialog List Box - report style.  So I guess yes on the nested.  Thanks for supporting this project!

Cmdr,

Tony may be obnoxious, opinionated, seriously lacking in social etiquette, but you have to agree he knows how to code.  :kewl:

jb
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 04:08:15 PM by jbuzbee »
James Buzbee
Windows 8

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2006, 06:03:50 PM »
Let me prefix my post with the fact that I'm 100% unfamiliar with ObjectDCL. But from what I understand it's unsupported in 2007.

In 2007 you can create functions that that interact with lisp in .NET. With that being said...wouldn't it be a better idea to create an ObjectDCL replacement with System.Windows.Forms in .NET? System.Windows.Forms has more user controls than VBA.

It might be a good group project. However I don't have 2007 so I'm out.

Tim I'm very familiar with ODCL. .. and yes it is now unsupported.
.. and yes, Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime.LispFunction, allows managed applications to declare methods that may be called from AutoLISP.
I agree about the NET Forms and the Lisp , that's the way I have planned and intend  going .. just not this week  :lol:

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2006, 07:37:07 PM »
Bob, I was thinking of mimicking the Xref Dialog List Box - report style.  So I guess yes on the nested.  Thanks for supporting this project!

How closely are you wanting to mimic it?  Right now the only functionality you have with it is an unload button.  If that's all, seems a listbox would work fine.  If you want to include more of the info on the xref, the listview isn't nearly large enough.

LE

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2006, 10:55:35 PM »
Just went to the ODCL site... and again is not accessible... great that you guys are making the move, close to the dark side and maybe who knows and when the jump into a more powerful force.....

Jürg Menzi

• Swamp Rat
  • Oberegg, Switzerland
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2006, 05:00:44 AM »
The great Tony Tanzillo penned three VBA sub functions: GetLispVar, SetLispVar, and EvalLispExpression.(...)
AFAIK, Frank Oquendo was the author and not his adversary... ^-^
and another point, under some circumstances, this functions doesn't work.
A computer's human touch is its unscrupulousness!
MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH
Current A2k16... A2k24 - Start R2.18