Author Topic: Xref and Dynamic Blocks  (Read 9276 times)

hudster

• Gator
Xref and Dynamic Blocks
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:30:52 PM »
I want to add a dynamic block to my company title block.

We currently have 5 offices, and each ione uses a different title block, what I want to do is make a dynamic block containing the address information for each office so we can have a single sheet for each office.

But we Xref our titleblocks in to each drawing, so is it possible to have a dynamic block as part of an xref and still have it work?
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Sdoman

Re: Xref and Dynamic Blocks
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 12:53:17 PM »
Yes you can Xref a dynamic block but an Xref'd dblock will not be dynamic in the drawing it is Xref'd into.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 01:03:35 PM »
You could also add attributes to the xref once it is xref'ed in.  I haven't looked at all that happens, but I have tried it, and it works.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Sdoman

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »
To clarify, you could insert your dynamic border block into an empty drawing as you would normally do with any border.  Then adjust your wizbang dynamic block office address properties from this drawing.  Then Xref this drawing as you would normally do with any border. voila! The Xref border is static when Xref'd, but you can dynamically adjust it in it's parent drawing.

Andrew H

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 01:09:43 PM »
We basically do the same thing. Since we're the low consultant on the totem pole, we use whichever architect's title block for a specific project (the title block for each project is different).

We use a combination of xref and template(<-- the template part going through the Sheet Set Manager).

We take whatever title block we receive and delete the information were our logo is to be placed (usually there is a little none plotting indicator on the title to indicate to each consultant where the arch wants our logo). I then save the drawing and close it. I start a new drawing and xref in that title block and add our logo dynamic block. Then save that drawing as XREF_(whatever the arch's title block drawing was named).dwg.

Now, in my Sheet Set Manager I point the "TEMPLATE" reference to the second drawing I created which will pull in the geometry of the Xref_... drawing (a template will pull in the model and paper space stuff, but an xref will only look at model space. Keep this in mind when setting up these drawings).

When you "Create a New Sheet" from the Sheet Set Manager it will bring in your Xref Title Block lines and what not and also the dynamic logo block.

Also, this allows you to global update the original title block lines, etc. if they ever need to change, and if you have an older drawing that the change doesn't need to apply to either bind the xref (which will make it never update) or saveas the old title block and point the xref path to that saveas. It gives you lots of options. It also allows you to have the dynamic block in each drawing also controlling it in each drawing.

Works like a charm! (let me know if anyone needs some help with these steps)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 01:14:01 PM by Andrew H »