Author Topic: VB dot sharp?  (Read 16419 times)

LE

Re: VB dot sharp?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 10:44:36 AM »
Thanks;

I have done in the past very little in VB or VBA, I never liked, have no idea why, I am close to two years writing in C++ and ARX and very little on MFC, I feel good now basically with C++/ARX, but for what I have seen very few are staying on this boat.

I have not being able to jump into C#, I need the days to be at minimum of 36 hours at least.

Cheers.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 10:59:32 AM »
Thanks everyone.
Learn them all Bob, you know you want to.
True, but I figure I'm probably better off starting with one.
C# definately! < snicker >
What's the snicker for Glenn?
I have not being able to jump into C#, I need the days to be at minimum of 36 hours at least.
Luis, At least I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »
Modified: Removed "if they accept my proposal for ".  Yeah!
Congrats.  Assuming I get get them to foot the bill or at least a part of it, I will be there with bells on.  Or with a hangover, guess it all depends.

Glenn R

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 08:59:53 PM »
Nothing really Bob, you just have a bit of work to do regardless of your choice.

I once read that coming from classic VB to VB.NET is a very steep learning curve and only a little bit more to go to C#.

It's all personal preference at the end of the day, but most professionals (at least in my experience) prefer the 'C' based language syntax.
Having learnt C++ and really liking the elegance of the language syntax a move to C# was easy.

Kerry was/is a lisper for many years and dived into C# and from what I can tell loves it. If my opinion is worth anything, I would advise you to go to C#.

Cheers,
Glenn.

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
  • Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 09:49:35 AM »
Modified: Removed "if they accept my proposal for ".  Yeah!
Congrats.  Assuming I get get them to foot the bill or at least a part of it, I will be there with bells on.  Or with a hangover, guess it all depends.
Thanks!  And be sure and let me know if you do get to come.  I'd love to meet some fellow swampers.  I'm guessing that when it gets closer we'll all start posting who's going to make it.
Bobby C. Jones

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 03:02:57 PM »
An interesting conversation, I'm looking at making the same move as Mr. Wahr. I'm fluent in VB, and the COM way of working with CAD, but was missing some key functions (ghosting, etc) that have been exposed through the .NET platform

I've done some tinkering in C++, but I'm far from fluent in it. Any tips on books or online tutorials for learning C# for AutoCAD? Or a useful info source for VS2005 since I'll be upgrading from VB6?

So far I’ve found http://arxdummies.blogspot.com/2005/01/class-1-overview.html

Once I get started in a week or two, you'll hear more from me!

LE

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 03:26:56 PM »
That class from Fernando is the best you can find!!!

Have fun!

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 09:11:07 AM »
Any tips on books or online tutorials for learning C# for AutoCAD?
I don't know of anything specific to C# for AutoCAD other than this forum, AUGI, and the adesk NG's.  Get familiar with the ARX SDK documentation and samples.  Since the managed API is pretty much a thin wrapper over the ARX API you'll find yourself referencing the ARX docs a lot.

Have fun!
Bobby C. Jones

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 10:38:27 AM »
Bobby, where does one get said books?  Is it in the SDK download?
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Bob Wahr

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 11:43:16 AM »
Hmmm...Sounds like that ACAD2k ObjectARX Developers Guide might finally come in handy.

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
Bobby, where does one get said books?  Is it in the SDK download?
You can download the SDK from the Autodesk site, http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=773204.

I just did a quick search at the adesk store and you can buy hardcopies of the arx developers guide for $35 U.S.  Just remember that this guide covers ObjectARX and not .NET directly.
Bobby C. Jones

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 03:52:17 PM »
is that the same ARX guide that comes in the doc pack?  I just got my 2007 doc pack today
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 04:06:13 PM »
is that the same ARX guide that comes in the doc pack?  I just got my 2007 doc pack today
It is if it says "ObjectARX Developer's Guide" on the front :-)
Bobby C. Jones

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 04:43:49 PM »
Nope, not the same one.  This says ActiveX and VBA developers guide

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 06:18:30 PM »
I looked at both and opted for C#. That was a year ago and I'm very happy with the decision.

An unexpected bonus was that C# syntax is similar to PHP. So it's got that going for it.

Having said that, I haven't done much with C#-AutoCAD yet. (except take the AU classes and tinker) I have written a couple of apps with C#. One is at.http://www.ebsprinters.com/plottracker.asp

I've found that there is no shortage of C# samples and examples. The dotnet forum at Autodesk seems to favor C#.
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions