Author Topic: Why does it tke so long for these drawings to open  (Read 1304 times)

hyposmurf

Why does it tke so long for these drawings to open
« on: May 18, 2006, 08:29:37 AM »
Why does it tke so long for these drawings to open.This happens on 2006 and 2007.We open the drawings everything seems find it past 100% then you see it run through different things like creating a autosave files for the draing and its associated XREFS.You can view this just above the command line.But on a number of them it hangs.We have a number of XREFS in our drawing that have associated nested XREFS.These nested XREFS are unrefenced and have a little exclamation mark next to them.My thinking is that the drawing is looking for an XREF in a XREF that cant be found.Am I correct is this why these drawings take ages to load and save?Could it be our server?(autosave is set to default CAD location though not the server)

Edit: (solution to unreferenced XREFS)

Sussed this part out.The unreferenced XREFS are created when a user deletes an XREF but does not dettach it or there was originally an XREF within an XREF that can not be found in the XREF you have inserted.A way around this is to find the parent XREF and look for the unreferenced XREFS and detach them then go back into your original drawing and the problem XREF's will be gone once you have reloaded the XREFS.I think this improved the drawing opening speed but not by much,maybe a second or so.So Im still scratching my head on this one.
Another idea when Im back at work Ill etransmitt the dwg file and save it then try and open to my desktop this should then determine if its a server problem.
How would I determine if my setting for the LAN are correct?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 02:15:33 PM by hyposmurf »

Andrew H

Re: Why does it tke so long for these drawings to open
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 07:16:26 PM »
What are the general drawings files sizes (parent and xrefs)?

Have you tried wblocking the parent drawings to see if you can clean them up a bit.

I've had problems in the past with AutoCAD looking for 3rd party programs and object enablers which makes the drawing take a long time to load/save.

Kate M

Re: Why does it tke so long for these drawings to open
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »
I had a similar problem with unreferenced images...dratted things made their way in to one of my template files (who knows how) -- took me forever to get rid of them.