Author Topic: Custom Object - Pros and Cons  (Read 5260 times)

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
Re: Custom Object - Pros and Cons
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 07:43:04 AM »
Okay, Thanks.

I SO want to do more C++ but the managed classes are SO much easiser to work with...
Soli Deo Gloria

DaveW

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 09:43:44 AM »
Quite a few companies in my industry, woodworking, have used custom objects.

One, 2020, went as far to provide on an OEM version of ACAD with their custom objects. They have begun to see that their end users are very limited without access to other third party addons. Now they are offering both, or in the very near future. Another company, Microvellum, is now going to offer an OEM too. I guess they have not learned that lesson yet.

From what I have seen, I would agree with Mick 100%. If you make a custom object, you must not only provide the enabler, but a way for someone to export that object out as the highest level entity as possible. Example: If you object appears as a 3D solid, do not export out a bunch of faces and give your customer a mess. They had one object before, so give them one object now.

I would never force a company to upgrade to newer version of ACAD, unless the version is more than 4 years old. It is just too expensive for them in the end. I have been very unhappy with some precision stuff in 2007. It is still pretty new and I am hearing about new (big) bugs almost every day. You are going to have to weigh the pros and cons of supporting a few ACAD versions vs. finding another creative workaround that protects the data. Good luck.

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 10:18:51 AM »
Thanks Dave.

I appreciate your time and advice. I've been thinking of this quite a bit.

I'm starting with a relatively simple custom object and with the new mixed / managed mixing I think I can create something that works like a custom object when my program is loaded and works as a standard autocad object(s) when not.

Still have a lot of proto-typing to do yet.
Soli Deo Gloria

MickD

• Gator
  • !false...it's funny 'cause it's true!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 06:12:03 PM »
I'm starting with a relatively simple custom object and with the new mixed / managed mixing I think I can create something that works like a custom object when my program is loaded and works as a standard autocad object(s) when not.

Here's a piccy of one of my classes that does pretty much what you say, I pass in a standard object (ref Solid3d) add some data and functionality to it and you have a 'custom' like object which is still a standard object at the end of the day.
Another way may be to subclass your acad object, I think I started that way but for some reason I went this way...???
A programmer's wife tells him, "Run to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. If they have eggs, get a dozen."

The programmer comes home with 12 loaves of bread.

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 08:07:06 AM »
Thanks Mick,

Lots to digest.

I have to finish my current app, get it deployed in-house with 2007 and then I'll start diagraming and proto-typing.

I'm sure I will be asking tons of questions...
Soli Deo Gloria