Author Topic: AutoCAD 2010  (Read 24491 times)

James Cannon

Re: AutoCAD 2010
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2009, 11:53:51 AM »
WTF is up with this crap?

I have to UNinstall any version of Autocad on my computer to install Autocad 2010?  Why the hell should I?

Alan Cullen

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2009, 12:08:39 PM »
Not true...acad 2010 will install in a different folder and leave all previous installations alone.

James Cannon

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »
Not true...acad 2010 will install in a different folder and leave all previous installations alone.

Not true.

It doesn't even let me configure the Autocad installation before proceeding. :\

"Select the Products to Install

|_| Autocad 2010 (greyed out from being checked)
 Another version of this product is already installed.  To instlal this version, you need to remove the existing version of this procut."

I don't have the beta or anything that I can find... I'm searching for any VAGABOND files or folders that may be overlooked.

Alan Cullen

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »
Then your previous installation was not done to the acad installation defaults. And if you keep changing the default settings you will always have problems. Last year one of the mods told me to stick with the defaults for installation. This year the whole lot went so seamlessly

James Cannon

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »
What defaults?

I never change default pathing, if that's what you mean...

James Cannon

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
There was just something goofy going on.

I got it to work.

Installing now...

Gator left behind some garbage.

Alan Cullen

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »
Interesting...please fill us all in at the end of the installation

James Cannon

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
Interesting...please fill us all in at the end of the installation

Either I, or the uninstaller bugged out with Gator, when I went to uninstall the beta, and there was remnant folders/files from the installation.  I remember uninstalling it *scratches head*  But maybe it errored out and I don't recall... *shrugs*

Everything installed fine.

I just misinterpreted the "Another version of this product is already installed.  To instlal this version, you need to remove the existing version of this procut." and in my typical Saturday 'dont wanna be here' mood, didn't think very hard before making an assumption.  I thought it meant he 2007 and 2009 that's still on here.

Though everything installed fine.  Autocad 2010 is starting up in the background as I write this.

Alan Cullen

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2009, 02:13:06 PM »
mmmm    I'm still intrigued that you had to uninstall previous versions of acad.....

James Cannon

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »
mmmm    I'm still intrigued that you had to uninstall previous versions of acad.....

It was the beta of 2010 (code name Gator) I had to uninstall.  Bit different.  I am able to have 2009 and others on here, still.

James Cannon

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2009, 02:22:31 PM »
Previous versions of MDI Tabs will not work in 2010.

http://www.dailyautocad.com/autocad/free-mdi-tabs-tool-from-autodesk/
Go there for the latest version of MDI Tabs, that works in 2010.

I find it looks nicer in this latest version, too.  It's smaller and more visually consistent with Autocad.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2009, 01:36:20 PM »

It was the beta of 2010 (code name Gator) I had to uninstall.  Bit different.  I am able to have 2009 and others on here, still.
Yeah anytime you completed uninstall Autocad and want to reinstall it, you have to have to by the uninstaller and clean up including going into the registry.   Quite annoying.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2009, 01:48:10 PM »
I found that this version has to upgrade and save the AEC objects (created by verticals) to 2010 thus rendering them un-editable and sometimes untouchable as in the case of snapping to them.  The rest of my office is still on 2008 ADT and I upgraded to 2010 and I used 2010 to open and grab some stuff from a drawing thus screwing perfectly good ceiling grids. 

As quoted from David Kock on this Autodesk discussion thread.

AutoCAD 2010 and all of the AutoCAD-2010-based verticals, such as AutoCAD Architecture, have a new file format, just like the 2004 and 2007 releases did. As was the case in 2004 and 2007, opening a file created in a previous version will promote all of the AEC objects to the new format. Saving the file with the newer release means that previous releases will not be able to edit the AEC objects, even if you "save down" to the previous file format. If objects from a future version are detected when opening that file in the previous release, then the AEC commands will all be disabled, including the Detail Component Manager. Even if your intent is not to edit any of the existing AEC objects, you will not be able to add any new ones or use any AutoCAD-Architecture-specific commands. That is the way it always has been, the way it is and is likely the way it always will be. (You could do a search, this topic comes up every time there is a file format change.) At least in 2007 and (presumably) in 2010, you should get a warning when opening the file that AEC objects from a previous release are detected and will be promoted to the new format, and that saving the file would make them unusable as AEC objects in earlier releases.

If your file has no AEC objects or you can live with the AEC objects exploded to AutoCAD linework, you could export the file back to a previous release format that is compatible with the version you would like to use.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2009, 02:01:13 PM »
I find it less than funny that this issue, is really a 'problem' for autodesk's customers, however they feel no need to 'fix' the problem they create in the desire to force the customer to upgrade due to these compatibility issues they create.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

KewlToyZ

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2009, 12:42:31 PM »
Previous versions of MDI Tabs will not work in 2010.

http://www.dailyautocad.com/autocad/free-mdi-tabs-tool-from-autodesk/
Go there for the latest version of MDI Tabs, that works in 2010.

I find it looks nicer in this latest version, too.  It's smaller and more visually consistent with Autocad.

Does this version work on 64-bit yet?......
please disregard question:
MDITabs allows you to see and quickly navigate open drawings in a series of tabs along the top of the drawing window. ZIP file includes ARX files for both 32 and 64 bit versions of AutoCAD 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:45:51 PM by KewlToyZ »