Author Topic: Windows preview AutoCAD?  (Read 6337 times)

craigr

Windows preview AutoCAD?
« on: October 01, 2007, 02:12:53 PM »
Feel free to move this if posted in the wrong place -

To preview CAD .dwg files, I have been using the 'thumbnails' option in Windows Explorer, but the image is so small, it doesn't really show much.

In MS Windows Explorer, if you highlight a .jpg file, it gives you the option to preview a pic. This makes it very fast to flip thru pics.

Is there a way to set the 'Preview' option to display .dwg files?

craigr

kentium3k

• Newt
  • Adopt a Greyhound! No, not a bus.
Re: Windows preview AutoCAD?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 01:51:15 PM »
Feel free to move this if posted in the wrong place -

To preview CAD .dwg files, I have been using the 'thumbnails' option in Windows Explorer, but the image is so small, it doesn't really show much.

In MS Windows Explorer, if you highlight a .jpg file, it gives you the option to preview a pic. This makes it very fast to flip thru pics.

Is there a way to set the 'Preview' option to display .dwg files?

craigr

Because the image of the drawing is of such low resolution it doesn't help any to make it much larger.  The preview would just be a large display of a very low res image.  There used to be applications that could read the dwg file itself back in the DOS days.  If there is one for Explorer I hope it gets mentioned in here.
Prosperity is only an instrument to be used, not a deity to be worshiped. C. Coolidge

craigr

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »
The nice thing about MS Windows 'preview' thingy, is that you can just hit an arrow key and fly through a bunch of pics looking for the one you want. This would be great when looking through drawings to steal parts from.

craigr

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »
There is no such preview that I am aware of.  I wrote a program to do dwg previews a while back, let me look to see if i still have it
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

deegeecees

kentium3k

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 03:32:09 PM »
I was looking in Toolpac and the Drawing, Open command brings up a browser that allows does a good job of showing a preview and you can size it up or down!  I need to start using ToolPac more, there is so much in there that is useful.
Prosperity is only an instrument to be used, not a deity to be worshiped. C. Coolidge

craigr

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 03:34:37 PM »
I was looking in Toolpac and the Drawing, Open command brings up a browser that allows does a good job of showing a preview and you can size it up or down!  I need to start using ToolPac more, there is so much in there that is useful.

'Toolpac' - ?

That must be something that LT doesn't offer. We use LT2005, I haven't heard of it.

craigr

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »

'Toolpac' - ?

That must be something that LT doesn't offer. We use LT2005, I haven't heard of it.

craigr
It's a third party add-on with some really cool things (I hear, since I don't have it either).
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

kentium3k

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 06:31:01 PM »

craigr
Quote from: T.Willey
It's a third party add-on with some really cool things (I hear, since I don't have it either).

It is a third party add-on and only works with AutoCAD and not with LT.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 06:34:42 PM by Maverick® »

craigr

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 10:08:41 AM »
This may help:

http://www.cadopolis.com/solutions_list.asp?TheCategory=CatNone&TheSubcategory=SubDWGViewer&TheKeywords=

Thanks for the link, but I all saw was 'purchase' software.

I guess I am looking for a FREE 'add on' to MS Windows. Again, something as easy as Windows Explorer / Preview.

craigr

deegeecees

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 10:16:58 AM »
There's a cuple free 1's in here:

http://3d2f.com/tags/explorer/dwg/viewer/