Author Topic: Roads & Residential  (Read 2462 times)

jbaxter

Roads & Residential
« on: December 29, 2007, 01:00:34 AM »
Greetings,

I am after a way of somehow, probably via a lisp routine or maybe vlx dialog box driven, to automate setting out roads, cul-de-sac, intersections etc and also to create residential lots that may possibly be driven by the frontage dimension or sq.m/sq.yd area of lots.

Roads would probably be generated by selecting pre-drawn centrelines and inputting road width,sidewalk,easement.

I might need to draw up a few examples if anyone would like to have a go at writing such a routine to automate this task.

Regards,
John

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Re: Roads & Residential
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 09:07:32 AM »
I suspect all you will find are partial solutions to your request as it is a large task.
There are commercial routines to do the road & probably some for the lot layouts.
There was one here many years ago for site / lot layouts but as I remember it relied on the lots already being divided. It
then created the setback lines, etc. I remember Stig & Daron working on the lisp. Maybe in 2003 or 2004.
http://tinyurl.com/356rd7

I also remember working on a routine to draw a roadway knuckle. Not sure if it was here or AUGI web site.

It is easy enough to pick a centerline & offset to each side ti get the road edges & then the gutter or curb & then
the sidewalks & finally the edge of the right of way.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 09:12:15 AM »
I found another one:
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=28.0

The knuckle routine alludes me. Memory fade I guess.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

sinc

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 10:25:35 AM »
Best way to do that task that I've seen is in Carlson Civil (an add-on for any Autocad product).  Civil-3D can do it to, but with more difficulty and a much-larger learning curve, as well as a higher price tag.

I would not attempt to write a Lisp for this, unless you have an awful lot of spare time to kill.  Keep in mind that if you want to do this in a useful way, you will need to deal with elevations as well, and the entire task is big and complex enough that Lisp is not a good language for it.

jbaxter

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 11:06:59 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Hmmm, I can see that the task is a large one and not simply a lisp fix.

Regards,
John

jbaxter

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 06:18:41 PM »
Hi,

David responded with a link to his web site below which has an excellent piece of software for creating residential lots and roads.

Regards,
John

www.cadtracts.com