Author Topic: Autodesk Entitlement API please comments  (Read 1301 times)

LogicTools

• Newt
Autodesk Entitlement API please comments
« on: February 17, 2022, 10:27:32 AM »
After Daniel suggestion on http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=57310.0 post for information on publishing an AutoCAD plug-in I think I am going to use the Entitlement API for licensing the app.
Autodesk informs me that can cover the offering of a temporally trial version and a yearly subscription controlled by the API which is basically what I have in mind for the publishing.
From those of you that have had the experience of using this approach to licensing Autocad plug-ins, could you please comment on your experience?
Thanks in advance.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: Autodesk Entitlement API please comments
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 02:34:17 AM »
I haven’t published anything yet, but I plan to, and I will be using the Entitlement API  8-)
One downside I can think of, is that it’s Autodesk only, so if you plan to sell on other platforms, you’re still stuck writing your own stuff.

The apps I’m working on won’t run on other platforms due to missing APIs, so it’s not an issue for me

From what I’ve noticed, people are posting a free trial version, and a purchase version on the store.
So, the trial version can have a timeout or have limited functionality. I’m on the fence, but I think limited functionality may be easier, otherwise it you’ll still need to store something on the user’s computer. I haven’t consulted Autodesk on this though, as I should finish my programs first lol

LogicTools

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 10:27:11 AM »
d2010
If the SolidWorkTeam, do not import the  AutodeskEntitlementAPI ...
Sorry don't know anything about SolidWorks.
Daniel
So, the trial version can have a timeout or have limited functionality. I’m on the fence, but I think limited functionality may be easier, otherwise it you’ll still need to store something on the user’s computer. I haven’t consulted Autodesk on this though, as I should finish my programs first lol
I am planning full trial and yearly subscription versions. Autodesk told me that they can support both with the Entitlement API but to be able to have some kind of control, as you said, something has to go on the user's computer, especially if want to allow for the app to work even when there is not internet access. That will be my next question to Autodesk when I have the program finished.

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 12:27:51 AM »
There are numerous ways of protecting lisp and bury something in the code that does a check for is it valid,  can lock to PC, 3-4 methods, even ping a remote server.

Just google protect lisp.

Dont forget Autocad, Bricscad, Intellicad to mention a few.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

LogicTools

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 12:43:14 PM »
BIGAL
There are numerous ways of protecting lisp and bury something in the code that does a check for is it valid,  can lock to PC, 3-4 methods, even ping a remote server.
Thank you BIGAL for your suggestion.
I am aware of some of your solutions but the point is, as Daniel said, to use the Autodesk Entitlement API to help you keep things as simple as possible, providing that users are connected to the net.
It's ok to force them to do so when they are registering for the first time but afterwards, apart from checking from time to time, they should be able to use the app even if they are not connected.
Autodesk suggests having a timestamp somewhere to keep checking that the entitlement is valid, but how do you reestablish the timestamp if the user mess up with it? The API does not tell you how much time is left on the subscription.
Possibly using your own remote server ... then we are starting to complicate things a little bit again.
As my French friend would say: C'est pas facile la vie d'artiste.

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 07:51:19 PM »
You just have to take a risk, how many users even know how to look for your licence key. If its buried some where in the registery. Even if they find it do they know if its some encrypted code even a simple disk id backwards so will not work on another pc.

There are to many other Cad platforms now locking in to Autocad will limit you.

A man who never made a mistake never made anything

LogicTools

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »
Thanks again BIGAL.
The Autodesk API takes care that the "ONLINEUSERID" is entitled to use the plug-in so not need for checking the machine hardware.
The API should require the user to be connected to the net the first time the app runs and the "ONLINEUSERID" will check entitlement while the user continues connected.
The issue here is to find a way to implement a secure timestamp system that will allow the use of the app while there is not connection.
I am working on it. Have a couple of ideas. Hopefully will come to some kind of solution soon.