Author Topic: Copy Delay ?  (Read 7202 times)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Copy Delay ?
« on: March 02, 2005, 01:27:53 PM »
When is use the _.copyclip command there is a delay after I select the object. ( ACAD 2000 )
This delay is over 1 second which seems like an eternity when you are waiting.
The same is true when I issue the _.pasteclip command. When you press enter after typing the
command there is a delay and then this is displayed.
Command: .PASTECLIP
Duplicate definition of block _Oblique  ignored.
Duplicate definition of block _ArchTick  ignored.
Duplicate definition of block _DotSmall  ignored.
Duplicate definition of block 15HVAHU1  ignored.
Specify insertion point:[code]

There are only 85 Inserts in this drawing & the delay is present on all drawings.

UPDATE:
Problem solved, Layer Filters are the cause. :)
Purged them (lots of them) and all is well.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Copy Delay ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 01:42:18 PM »
Hey, I just had this problem too!? I found the same thing! (how weird is that?! ...Man that's freeky!)
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

nivuahc

Copy Delay ?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 01:54:49 PM »
Speaking of purging, I frankensteined this from bits and pieces I found on the swamp a long time ago. It typically cuts down a drawing size by 50%. Seriously.

It saves the drawing when it's finished, btw, in case you didn't notice that right off.

I use this in place of 'qsave' quite often.

Code: [Select]
(defun c:qc (/)
  (vl-Load-Com)
  (vl-Catch-All-Apply
    '(lambda ()
       (vla-Remove
(vla-GetExtensionDictionary
  (vla-Get-Layers
    (vla-Get-ActiveDocument
      (vlax-Get-Acad-Object)
    )
  )
)
"ACAD_LAYERFILTERS"
       )
     )
  )

(setvar "cmdecho" 0)
  (setq A (reverse (dictsearch (namedobjdict) "ACAD_GROUP")))
  (while (setq B (cdr (assoc 350 A)))
    (setq C (entget B))
    (setq D (assoc 340 C))
    (if (= D nil)
      (entdel B)
    )
    (setq A (cdr (cdr A)))
  )

(setvar "cmdecho" 0)

(if (= (tblsearch "style" "STANDARD") nil)
    (command "-style" "STANDARD" "SIMPLEX" "0" "1.0" "0" "N" "N" "N")
    )

(if (= (tblsearch "Dimstyle" "STANDARD") nil)
    (command "-dimstyle" "s" "STANDARD")
    )
  (command "-dimstyle" "r" "STANDARD")
  (setvar "TEXTSTYLE" "STANDARD")
  (setvar "CLAYER" "0")
  (command "-purge" "a" "*" "n")
  (command "qsave")
  (princ)
  (princ
    "\nAll layer filters have been deleted, all empty groups have been deleted and everything else has been purged. Drawing has been saved."
  )
  (princ)
)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Copy Delay ?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 02:44:13 PM »
Quote from: Se7en
Hey, I just had this problem too!? I found the same thing! (how weird is that?! ...Man that's freeky!)

That is weird!!
Started working on a drawing last night & it was doing it then but I was too tired to fight it.
Today it became too much to bear. So i was going to post a question but after I wrote the question
it dawned on me that those pesky filters could be the cause & sure enough.

Thanks Chuck, that is a good idea. The filtes have a way of creeping back into a drawing.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Copy Delay ?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 03:36:13 PM »
Do layer filters get copied into a drawing when using the design center too?

Someone here is keen to keep blocks and explodable details located all over our server, (cos design center is easy to use) but I want them all to be in either an approved blocks folder or an unapproved blocks folder so new users and infrequent users know where everything is without trawling through folder after folder. If layer filters are still copied thru using design center, that would be a good piece of ammuntion to do things my way

Any opinions (sorry for hi-jacking your thread!)
Many thanks
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

MikePerry

Copy Delay ?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 04:29:56 PM »
Hi

Below snippet is taken from an AutoCAD 2004 review by JTB World -

<snip>
Layer filters are not multiplying on your drawings since they are not following when you insert or pasteclip to a drawing.
</snip>

Have a good one, Mike

whdjr

Copy Delay ?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 04:33:06 PM »
Quote from: MikePerry
Hi

Below snippet is taken from an AutoCAD 2004 review by JTB World -

<snip>
Layer filters are not multiplying on your drawings since they are not following when you insert or pasteclip to a drawing.
</snip>

Have a good one, Mike

Yeah but that is 2004 and later.  Everything earlier than 2004 does copy layerfilters when you pasteclip to a drawing.

MikePerry

Copy Delay ?
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 04:39:29 PM »
Quote from: whdjr
Yeah but that is 2004 and later.  Everything earlier than 2004 does copy layerfilters when you pasteclip to a drawing.
Hi

Hence me posting a snippet from an AutoCAD 2004 review to make everyone aware of that fact....

Have a good one, Mike

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Copy Delay ?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 05:45:08 AM »
Holy cow, I never realised that layer filters copied when you inserted a block. I just thought it was only when you copy and paste!

Oh man, I am going to have to go through our system with a fine toothcomb. I am regularly deleting nearly 100 filters from drawings, and last week there was a drawing with nearly 2000 filters.

Me thinks this will make a good opener for my first Cad User Group meeting next week.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Copy Delay ?
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 07:31:44 AM »
Quote from: jonesy
Holy cow, I never realised that layer filters copied when you inserted a block. I just thought it was only when you copy and paste!

Oh man, I am going to have to go through our system with a fine toothcomb. I am regularly deleting nearly 100 filters from drawings, and last week there was a drawing with nearly 2000 filters.

Me thinks this will make a good opener for my first Cad User Group meeting next week.

That's why nivuahc's idea of a modified close drawing routine is a good idea if you use anything but ACAD 2004+

sinc

Copy Delay ?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 08:26:23 AM »
Quote from: jonesy

This is a common problem.  One of the other companies I work with just sent me a drawing infected with upwards of 50,000.  I wonder if they're starting to wonder why their drawings are getting so big all of a sudden?

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Copy Delay ?
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 09:02:05 AM »
I know many people are simply not aware of "layer filters" in general, let alone their usefulness and the problems they cause.
Like I said earlier, I was under the impression they only travelled to another drawing if the information was copied and pasted, obviously I was very mistaken!
I think my next managementy job will be to check drawings for this problem.

Are layer filters in LT too? and if so how do the LT users delete the thousands of layer filters?

whdjr

Copy Delay ?
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 09:15:04 AM »
We implemented a small lisp that loads every time a dwg opens that deletes all layerfilters.  Our problem is gone now. :D

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Copy Delay ?
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 09:45:02 AM »
Thats great, but we have about 60% of our users using LT, so lisps for this are a no-no.

But with regards to your lisp, does the lisp load automatically as the open command opens (sort of a customsied open instead of the autocad open)

whdjr

Copy Delay ?
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 09:57:06 AM »
It is included in our office mnl file so it runs everytime a drawing is opened.  It could also be added to acad.lsp file, but I try to keep all my customizations  seperate from the original AutoCAD files.  I'm not sure what to do with LT. :shock: