Author Topic: Missing shx files with annoying notifications  (Read 10935 times)

hyposmurf

Missing shx files with annoying notifications
« on: October 01, 2005, 06:27:07 PM »
We seem to have endless drawings received with shx files that are missing.These are from Architects who havent sent the supporting shx files. :roll:.The obvious route would be to go back to them and ask them to resend the files,but there usually sent in the first place to engineers who wouldnt have a clue what were requesting to be resent.Is there a way around disabling the notifications from popping up everytime the drawings are opened and the shx files cannot be found?I thought that if I created a shx file with the same name then the notifications wouldnt appear,for one I'm not sure how to and that would take a great amount of time for every drawing with a numbetr of different missing shx files.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: Missing shx files with annoying notifications
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 07:36:14 PM »
You're working late tonight ..

I've had mixed sucess with changing files, redefining styles, badgering the originator.

The most sucessfull and economical is < I believe > to ask for the missing files. The notification alert gives the Font, and style affected .. send a suitably worded email to your client asking for the errant files.

The wording of the non-conformance report can vary depending on how late on a Saturday night you're working.

Both "Pretty Please" and "The job is being delayed due to the non-supply of critical information" seem to work.

Stay happy.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 10:49:17 PM »
I educate ALL of my clients about the use of etransmit. It has cut down A LOT of my headaches. You'd be amazed at the number of people that have no idea of this command and the value it has.

my2

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 11:24:56 PM »
Yep,
The PRE ac2004 'Pack n Go' command is now "Etransmit" and is located in the File pulldown.

The hassle for most people generally isn't regular clients, it's the first timers and third hand consultants that cause us trouble. Sometimes the request has to go up < or down > the line as much as 3 or 4 levels to get to the originator.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

hyposmurf

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 04:31:35 AM »

The most sucessfull and economical is < I believe > to ask for the missing files. The notification alert gives the Font, and style affected .. send a suitably worded email to your client asking for the errant files.

I had a feeling that might be th reply.Im new at this company so at this stage the last thing I want to do is be known for hassling clients just yet. :-)Thought theere maybe a way to disable the shx notification.These are shx big fonts and shx shape files.Is it possible that someone could send me a shx file and I copy and rename it for each occurance?Maybe I could use a shx file from my install. :?Am I playing with fire and best to leave them alone?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 04:45:09 AM by hyposmurf »

MikePerry

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 06:33:40 AM »
Hi

Check out the following Technical Document on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS19683 - Erase shapes and purge references to unavailable shape (SHX) files

Note: Personally I would go with Kerry's and Ron's suggestion - Obtain the correct (missing) font file(s).

Have a good one, Mike

hyposmurf

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 12:21:16 PM »
That is an option,but deleting the shape files could prove fatal if I have lines for walls etc missing.It would also be almost impossible to be completely sure there isnt something vital missing from the drawing.

LE

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 12:35:52 PM »
Don't remember exactly, but I would give a try to:

QAFLAGS = 4

And make sure to set it back to the original value.....

Hth...

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 01:43:18 PM »
QAFLAG bit 2 (=4) means that there are no "alert" dialogs (text display instead).

But the variable FONTALT specifies the location of the font file to use if the original font cannot be located and an alternate font is not specified in the font mapping file. You can also set the location of Alternate Font File by using the FONTALT system variable.

If you do not specify an alternate font through the Options dialog box or the FONTALT system variable, when you open a drawing containing fonts that cannot be located, a dialog box is displayed in which you specify a font to use for each missing font.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

hyposmurf

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 02:50:14 PM »
Crank I think youre right about the FONTALT variable regarding the missing shx font.There is still one file left this is called dgnlstyle-lstyle.shx. As a far as I know this is a compiled shape file created in Microstation when a DGN is exported to a DWG.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 03:01:04 PM by hyposmurf »

hyposmurf

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 03:07:51 PM »
Ha harrrrrrrr!Ive sussed a way to get around the problem.The FONTALT worked for part of it as previously noted,the dgnlstyle-lstyle.shx that could not be found was still a problem.All I did was copy the ltypeshp.shp file found in my AutoCAD support directory.rename it and then inserted this into the problem drawing.No more annoying notifications.We used to have to cancel about 5 shx notifications per drawing before,so this should save some time.

hyposmurf

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 04:48:34 PM »
For some reason it still cant find a font on my work PC. :-(Its looking for a bigfont.shx called univ.shx.Where can I find this font?If I can find this font problem should be solved.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 01:09:53 AM »
UNIV.SHX is a commercial custom SHX font, part of the Ausfont series produced by Graphic Computer Services, a company based in Western Australia. But as far a I can remember, that's not a bigfont. We bought a copy in the 80's, so I don't know if the company still exists.

What you can do, is make a copy of a bigfont and call it UNIV.SHX. There aren't that many bigfonts, so maybe this is also a copy (that is modified?).

Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 01:29:03 AM »
For some reason it still cant find a font on my work PC. :-(Its looking for a bigfont.shx called univ.shx.Where can I find this font?If I can find this font problem should be solved.

I REALLY hate to sound like a broken record, but ..
If the drawing uses those >SHX files, and they are not provided, the documentation is deemed to be incomplete.
Drawings are legal documents and bla, bla, bla ... so, ask for them. 

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 08:34:37 AM »
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.