Author Topic: exporting to PDF in acad 2010  (Read 10292 times)

rhino

Re: exporting to PDF in acad 2010
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 05:59:57 AM »
i only got one dwg to pdf (see attached image) and that doesn't work   :-(

any ideas what to do?

perhaps a re-install is required...

could you try with this lisp http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=28078.0 - the pdf will be output to the same folder as the dwg and have the same name etc...

chrisdarmanin

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 06:33:28 AM »
hmmm... i deleted the dwg to pdf printer in the plotter manager and added it again from the add a plotter wizard and now its working! thanks :)

Alan Cullen

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 06:41:52 AM »
Kate, is the new one broken?  I ask b/c the 08 version was broken, and the work around was to bring the 07 version forward
No, using an old PC3 is what causes the problem.
UH OHHH  :oops: :cry:

What?  Is it really THAT troublesome to create new ones?
No Cotton but it felt good in saying that and you like it.

Antithenes!?!?!  Where ya been buddy!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Gotcha Mav...Antihissy, Antithingy, Antithenes, whatever, is a female.  :lmao: :lmao:

Oh BTW, we overcame the problem by purchasing the Adobe software. Have never had a problem since. And we currently use 2010.

chrisdarmanin

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 06:49:07 AM »
hey alan :D

but adobe still doesnt batch plot....

Alan Cullen

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 07:32:27 AM »
I think the batch plot effort is an acad thing...using the adobe plotter. I really don't know too much about that. All I know is you have to take plot by plot to assign a logical name to each plot, and that is a current pain in the a r s e. Adobe assigns a default plot name to all plots. The other problem is that adobe shoves every plot up into a window so you can see it. Individual windows for each plot. But apart from all that, no real problems.

chrisdarmanin

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 07:36:53 AM »
The other problem is that adobe shoves every plot up into a window so you can see it. Individual windows for each plot.

cutepdfwriter doesnt do that ;)

Alan Cullen

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 09:20:54 AM »
Chris...stick with what you are comfortable with...I have just found annoying little problems with other writers that don't happen with full blown adobe. But at the end of the day use what you like.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 10:07:14 AM »
hey alan :D

but adobe still doesnt batch plot....

Batch plotting is always going to be a problem.
PDF is lousy for large format plotting translation. Always has been.
It kills resources turning each sheet itself into an image (usually huge in virtual memory).
I've seen an 8 MB PDF become 3 GB in virtual memory plotting.
TIFF is still much more efficient in that regard for plotting.
Most plotting companies convert them all to tiff before ever plotting large runs because of that fact.
DWF & TIFF have much better return on time and resources when it comes to production.

sinc

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 10:23:09 AM »
Usually, when we need to create a PDF file, it's not because WE want it.  We'd be perfectly happy to use DWF instead.  It's our customers who specifically want PDFs, and do not want to be told to use some other format instead.  That might change once everyone is on Vista and can open DWFs in IE, but right now, people don't want to even download a free DWF viewer.  They want their PDF.

rhino

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 10:39:01 AM »
Usually, when we need to create a PDF file, it's not because WE want it.  We'd be perfectly happy to use DWF instead.  It's our customers who specifically want PDFs, and do not want to be told to use some other format instead.  That might change once everyone is on Vista and can open DWFs in IE, but right now, people don't want to even download a free DWF viewer.  They want their PDF.

yea...what he said...

ohh and for what its worth Autodesk have fixed the DWG to PDF driver - it now has the same features as the DWG to DWF one:

- layers
 - text is text
 - optimized PDF

Just try it :-)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 10:47:08 AM by rhino »

KewlToyZ

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »

yea...what he said...

ohh and for what its worth Autodesk have fixed the DWG to PDF driver - it now has the same features as the DWG to DWF one:

- layers
 - text is text
 - optimized PDF

Just try it :-)

I will when I get a chance, still debugging a few things I have been juggling.
Converting entire libraries of blocks to dynamic and renaming them to what they really are, updating all of the routines accordingly, removing all obsolete routines, updating for use in 2009 still if absolutley necessary. Lots of joy  :lol:

chrisdarmanin

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 12:00:40 PM »
yea i prefer to send in dwf... file sizes are much smaller but as you said people want it in pdf

i never experimented with tiff...

KewlToyZ

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 12:40:10 PM »
One of the reasons I also liked Acroplot also is because I can instantly convert dwf to pdf, tiff, etc...
Often I get pdf's that wont plot, usually I convert them to tiff and back to pdf for people and end up with a nice clean compressed & completely compatable pdf file. If I try batch plotting pdf's using windows explorer the file names wont collate, but they do with tiff. Another reason I hate pdf  :pissed:

Bob Garner

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 11:20:48 AM »
Just for the record, I was able to create pdf's in ACAD LT 2010.  But they had an icon in the upper left that said to "click to create a pdf using Acrobat.com".  They're competing with ACAD's pdf?  Click me, click me!

Bob G.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »
Dont worry, Adobe will have an update forcing 4 restarts of windows and block it all to ruin any sense of productivity you may have now.  :lmao: