Author Topic: Autosave makes AutoCAD (not responding)  (Read 10240 times)

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
Re: Autosave makes AutoCAD (not responding)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 12:52:23 PM »
Yep, sounds like your company is suffering from severe mis-management.  Wonder if they know how much that sort of stuff costs them?   :-o

Then again, from an IT point of view, it sounds like they have things in order....

We waste more time dealing with hardware/software problems *because* users can install software.

Having a CAD person in IT would go a long way towards solving these particular types of problems.

CADaver

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 01:16:39 PM »
Gee, I have to side with Mr. McSwain on this one.  Just had a guy complain to upper management about our lack of concern in getting his new software loaded.  I had to stop what I was working on, go to the boss' office and explain to him that the package in question was a virus/spyware riddled pirated POC the user had downloaded from a cracked warez site that did a lot less than the tools we had already installed, but if the boss really wanted us to infect every Excel file on our network and violate several copyright laws in the process all he needed to do was send me an email to that effect.

Dinosaur

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 01:35:20 PM »
I have no complaints about IT having the job of installing and maintaining the software . . . as long as they DO that job.  In this case it appears that IT considers it job done to install the initial release of a package that has a pretty sorry record of late in getting things right until SP2 or 3.  To not have the latest service packs that are required to make the software work as intended and not waste time recovering from crashes these updates prevent IS mismanagement.  If they are going to have that job they should at least do it or let someone else.

CADaver

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 01:54:32 PM »
If they are going to have that job they should at least do it ...
If you're not getting a maximum 2 hour response time from IT (that's response, not resolution) there is a management problem in IT.

Dinosaur

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 02:12:13 PM »
That would seem to be quite reasonable . . . at least acknowledge that they are now aware of the issue and hopefully trying to address it.  It just seems like the maintenance of the software part gets ignored much of the time making everyone's job more difficult, including their own.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 02:12:41 PM »
If you're not getting a maximum 2 hour response time from IT (that's response, not resolution) there is a management problem in IT.

I'll buy that. Fortunately, we have a "CAD" person in our IT department (namely me...)

Before this, we were in the same boat. Nobody had a clue about network deployments, standardazation, all the little quirky things about AutoCAD/LDT, etc.

You can't really blame the IT staff. Learning how to manage dozens of seats of CAD products in multiple office locations isn't learned in a MCSE class. Sounds like the real problem is getting management to realize that CAD isn't Excel and Word.

Dr. After

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 03:37:55 PM »
Being that I came form IT...  I feel I have a right to be very disappointed with this department.  Because other then getting an immediate auto responce in my email that they received the ticket, I have to wait almost two weeks and sometime longer to have someone either:

1)  Call me back and say, "So what's the problem?"
2)  Close out the ticket claiming, "We are waiting on a vendor.  Issue closed."  And then they claim I have to create a new ticket when they get done waiting on the vendor.
3)  Assign the ticket to someone they feel is more comprehensive in the IT department, to only have it either reassigned to the original person two more weeks down the road or sent to yet another person.  By the time all this is done, they have proven incompetence of 2-4 IT folks in resolving an issue I could fix in 2-5 minutes if I could just have admin rights.

Like I stated before, I wish there was some way to get approval for these admin rights, so those of us certified or even knowledgeable, could be of use to ourselves and the company instead of waiting.  I think if they instilled a 100% pay per ticket within the first 1-2 hours of responce time and then -10% for every following hour of down time caused by lack of responce, we would get a lot more enthusiasm out of this lame duck IT department.  Also they should not be able to close the ticket without the end user satisfied that the problem was rectified or at least taken as far as possible.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:39:33 PM by Dr. After »

CADaver

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »
I think if they instilled a 100% pay per ticket within the first 1-2 hours of responce time and then -10% for every following hour of down time caused by lack of responce, we would get a lot more enthusiasm out of this lame duck IT department.  Also they should not be able to close the ticket without the end user satisfied that the problem was rectified or at least taken as far as possible.

Sounds like a very poorly managed support service.  We have a "Help Desk" that is separate from IT, that collects the calls, assigns tickets and tracks the procedure.  Reports are generated daily, weekly and monthly indicating the nature of the problem, the response time, the resolution time and the end-user sign-off and comment sheet.  All of it openly available on our network so that the end-user can track his problem through the system.

sinc

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 08:07:37 PM »
Yep, sounds like your company is suffering from severe mis-management.  Wonder if they know how much that sort of stuff costs them?   :-o

Then again, from an IT point of view, it sounds like they have things in order....

We waste more time dealing with hardware/software problems *because* users can install software.

As others have pointed out, I was referring to the fact that any IT department that is doing its job will respond to any trouble within hours.  Even if they knew absolutely nothing about Autocad, they should have been able to get Dr. After's software upgraded to the latest SP before the day was out.

Time that employees spend waiting on IT is wasted money, so at most companies, immediate response is a requirement of the IT department.  Even waiting days for a response has been completely unnacceptable at any company I've ever been with.  If it takes them weeks, then they are beyond incompetent.

This has nothing to do with whether or not they let users install software.  They are just blatantly incompetent.  Of course, one then wonders how such an incompentent IT department could be allowed to exist...   The problems undoubtedly go much deeper in the company.  The question (which I fortunately don't need to answer) is "how deep?"   :|