Author Topic: Page Numbering?  (Read 1903 times)

craigr

Page Numbering?
« on: December 07, 2006, 02:35:26 PM »
First off, we use LT  :x

My problem is page numbering. We often have 50 or more pages in a set of dwgs. Our numbering scheme is job #, then Page number, then description on the dwg, then Rev #. An example would be -

3822 P008 AHU2 Controls - Rev 1.0.0.dwg

The problem with this is if I want to add a page directly after page 10. I then have to renumber every page after page 10!

I have come up with a utility to rename the files in sequence, this takes a matter of Seconds. But, within the dwgs, I have to open EVERY PAGE and edit the sheet number of the dwg. This can be quite time consuming on large jobs.

Do any of you have an idea how I can do this with a script / macro?

I'm guessing that I would need to be able to pull the page number out of the filename.

This can probably be done pretty easy with Lisps, but again, I am stuck with LT so I am limited to macros.

Thanks in advance,
craigr

sinc

Re: Page Numbering?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 02:59:44 PM »
This is a problem in more than LT.

The Sheet Set Manager is a great little tool in some respects, but it sucks at numbering pages.  It has basically the same problem, although with the SSM you only have to change the properties for every page in the SSM, rather than open every drawing.

craigr

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 03:02:48 PM »
I'm 'tossing around' the idea of using the 'Revdate' command for this, since our filename has the page number in it.

I just don't know how the engineers would like it.

I'll post what I come up with.

craigr

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 10:20:37 PM »
Try using desiel code in the rtext function.

your file name
3822_P008_AHU2_Controls - Rev 1.0.0.dwg

Desiel code;
Code: [Select]
$(substr,$(getvar,DWGNAME),6,$(-,$(strlen,$(getvar,DWGNAME)),10))
This allows you to change the page number of the drawing files without opening the drawing.
I use a variation of this code still with fields in Autocad 2007.
I use to get project name, & number, page number, sheet title and release all from the drawing file name and i could change the co-responding text in the tile block of my drawing without opening the drawing. Just by changing the file name.
I have been using desiel in rtext since release 2002. It was like have fields in autocad before fields where implemented.

Hope the tip helps.
 :-D

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 10:28:39 PM by SPDCad »
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

craigr

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 08:17:11 AM »
Thanks for the code - I know nothing about Diesel.

If RText is a command, it isn't available in the LT version.

I know that Diesel was allowed in LT98 version, as I was going to look into learning it, but I don't know any more than that.

How else can I use the code?

craigr

sinc

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 12:31:26 PM »
I use to get project name, & number, page number, sheet title and release all from the drawing file name and i could change the co-responding text in the tile block of my drawing without opening the drawing. Just by changing the file name.

This is still only a partial solution, since if you want to add another page after page 10 in a 60-page set, you still have to rename the files for some 50-odd drawings...  There are various automated ways to approch this task using various third-party and custom-programming methods, but it's really something that Autodesk should take care of.

I wonder if Autodesk is addressing this problem in the 2008 release...  People have been complaining about it at least since they introduced the SSM.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 02:23:12 PM »
Thanks for the code - I know nothing about Diesel.

[....]

How else can I use the code?

craigr

Here is something for you to study.  :-)
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 07:04:19 AM »
Here is something for you to study.  :-)

Good stuff, thanks for the link Crank!
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)