Author Topic: Blocks  (Read 5123 times)

CADaver

Re: Blocks
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 07:42:17 AM »
I basically just want a layer for all of the furniture & such, then isolate it from the walls, doors, windows & such - which go on a layer called 'floorplan'. I often have to do quite a bit of exploding & erasing to get everything isolated & on their own layers.
hmmm... another thought.  Make the layer called furniture, then change all the blocks to that layer.  When you FREEZE layer furniture all the blocks will disappear regardless of the layers used to create them.  Seems like it would not only save file size, but the time you spend fiddling with exploding and changing the blocks.

craigr

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 09:10:09 AM »
Believe me, I'm not trying to be arguementitive.

There are a few things I am after for our dwgs -

I want to put all 'little importance' items on a layer then make the color 254, so it is very light when printed. And be able to turn them off without searching through a bunch of layers with names that usually make little sense to me.

The remaining walls, doors & Windows are on thier own layer that gets a color of 253, so when printed is a little darker than the furniture.

Security devices, labels & notes are all on a layer called 'security', which is blue and when printed is a good contrast from the rest.

I really wish there was a way to change the layers of the blocks AND their colors. As I understand it, to change the properties of the block, you have to click on  EVERY single block. If I could redefine the properties in mass, I wouldn't have to explode them.

Believe me, I have learned much from your suggestions, but I still don't see how I can get what I want without exploding them.

I understand that I am spending alot of time doing what I call 'cleaning up' the dwgs when I get them - it sucks spending soooo much time doing this. I just don't see a better way of doing it.

craigr

Josh Nieman

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 09:37:20 AM »
I really wish there was a way to change the layers of the blocks AND their colors. As I understand it, to change the properties of the block, you have to click on  EVERY single block. If I could redefine the properties in mass, I wouldn't have to explode them.

That's why you use the "refedit" that Randy suggested.  Since a block is defined independent of all it's insertions, you change the master definition and you update all blocks... that is unless you exploded them all, because then they aren't blocks anymore.

Say I place 80 objects randomly in a room.  Those objects' value are equal to the variable "X".  Whatever "X" is... is what these are, and that's all they know.  The goal of these objects is to always equal "X"... they have no other goal in life.

Now... "X" is defined in this little book that keeps the definition of all Variables.  We'll call it the "Blockle"  In the Blockle, it says that "X" has an insertion point.  It also has a 2" circle drawn with the center at the insertion point.

Therefore all these 80 objects are a circle placed at the same point as their insertion point (the blue grip every block has that places itself when you insert the block or select it) 

Well the great Blockle author came around and says "Gee... I want "X" to now have a verticle line bisecting it... "  and it was good.  So now the definition of "X" is that there will be a 2" circle located with the center at the insertion point... and it will have a vertical line bisecting it.

Well all these objects out there know that the definition has changed as soon as it happened... so they want to be "X"... so they now have a line bisecting the circle... automagically.  And it was good.

You are the Great Blockle Author.  The Blockle is the list of Block Definitions.  The objects are all instances of the block.  The Author redefines the definition via the "refedit" command.

Does that clear it up, because it was kinda fun to write... :oops:

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »

I want to put all 'little importance' items on a layer then make the color 254, so it is very light when printed. And be able to turn them off without searching through a bunch of layers with names that usually make little sense to me.

The remaining walls, doors & Windows are on thier own layer that gets a color of 253, so when printed is a little darker than the furniture.

Security devices, labels & notes are all on a layer called 'security', which is blue and when printed is a good contrast from the rest.

Believe me, I have learned much from your suggestions, but I still don't see how I can get what I want without exploding them.

I understand that I am spending alot of time doing what I call 'cleaning up' the dwgs when I get them - it sucks spending soooo much time doing this. I just don't see a better way of doing it.

craigr

Get lt extender (or a full version of Acad) and use MP's routine:

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=3020.msg37746#msg37746

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

CottageCGirl

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 09:55:52 AM »

That's why you use the "refedit" that Randy suggested.  Since a block is defined independent of all it's ..........

Josh, this only works if you have multiples of identical blocks, right?, in my case, I can have upto 900 separate, unique blocks....

PS: layer translate is the BOMB!!!!

Josh Nieman

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 10:10:32 AM »

That's why you use the "refedit" that Randy suggested.  Since a block is defined independent of all it's ..........

Josh, this only works if you have multiples of identical blocks, right?, in my case, I can have upto 900 separate, unique blocks....

PS: layer translate is the BOMB!!!!

well... yea.... quite so.  Your case is a PITA I bet ;)  although I understand the benefit.

craigr

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 10:17:53 AM »
I guess I stole this topic.

For that, I apologize. I didn't think that Blocks were that involved, if I had known, I would have started a new topic.

It's obvious I still have alot to learn. I will look into your many suggestions.

Thanks,
craigr

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 10:42:17 AM »
No problem there

You might want to talk a look at using the Quick Select (qselect) command in conjunction with your editing of the blocks (however you decide to edit them).  It allows you to select in mass quantiles with similar criteria so you can process them.  Very powerful tool.  I get files from our other cad package that has nested blocks within blocks (sometimes 4 to 5 nested levels deep).  I have to use combination of explode and refedit and the qselect command makes it go faster. 

But then again you might be already using the qselect command, but I figured I would mention it.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

CADaver

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 10:46:59 AM »
Craig, I have a question.  Are these blocks the same blocks from the same supplier each time?  If so, refedit them once to layer 0, and save that file as a "base.dwg", erasing everything in the file except the block definitions. Then when you get the next file from that supplier, just open the "base.dwg" saveas a new file and insert the suppliers file into the the new file.  The blocks in the supplier's file will take on the definition in the "base.dwg".

Just a thought anyway.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 10:52:35 AM »

Lets think outside the box (block).
You are receiving cad files from us Archies and whomever are you not?

Have you thought of xref'ing these files in, changing all the colors of the layers of the xref (in the host drawing) to the colors you choice and then drawing your devices over top.  My MEP consultant does this with our drawings.  what is nice about this is when we have to coordinate between offices.  and he uses mickystation.  He Xrefs my stuff in and I xref his stuff in for back check purposes.   Xref'ing keeps stuff separate in a nice containers and gives you layer control.

Kate M

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 10:59:27 AM »
Not sure if I read that right. I've never used Lt.
In Lt you can make a block but not refedit it?
That's correct, although LT 2007 and up have the Block Editor, which gives you a lot of the same functionality.

craigr

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 11:03:22 AM »
Our floor plans DO come from anywhere we can beg them from. They are even sometimes bitmaps or paper copies that are hand carried in for me to scan!! - I can't do much with these.

But, 75% of the time, I do get actual CAD floor plans that I 'destroy' to get what I want. I thought that if there were standard layers, I could automate what I do, but since there are no 'standard' layers between companies, I do what I have to do.

XRefs - I looked into XRef -ing dwgs, and have a couple of sites set up like that, but our project leaders never got the hang of it, and didn't like it. 'We don't need to do all of that'.

From the sounds of it, I need to learn this 'refedit' thingy. It may solve alot of my problems.

craigr

craigr

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 11:05:19 AM »
Oops - I guess I Refedit won't work for me. - I missed that.

Would one of the 'add-on' programs have it?

I am still trying to justify an 'add-on' prg to management.

craigr

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
..... 'We don't need to do all of that'

I wish the CDC would put this disease at the top of their list.  We have it flare up from time to time in my office too.

craigr

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 11:17:12 AM »
I understand that they are doing their job - watching the dollars. They are usually pretty good at getting me what I need, much better than some companies - from what I have read on this board.

I believe that if I can show that the add-ons would save enough money, they would spring for it. But, it's difficult to explain to them as they know even less about CAD than I do - in fact I run circles around them - (I know, that's sad).

We have a very long history of using CAD, but only its most basic functions. There was NO automation / macros before I started! I have come up with MANY with the help of you folks. I am constantly looking for ways to cut down on my time. Hence, my wanting to learn about blocks & every other question I have asked on here.

The plus side of this is that they have noticed the time savings from my macros, standards developement, etc.... Which may be why I am hesitant to ask for the money for the add-ons. I am not sure how much money they would save for our basic CAD needs.

On our Security dwgs - If I spend 3 hrs on a very small job, half of that is usually spent bringing the CAD from others into our title block and 'cleaning it up'. I think this is a horrible waste of time. I would LOVE to automate this.

craigr