Author Topic: Importing DWG / DXF into Microsation  (Read 9471 times)

kindra

Re: Importing DWG / DXF into Microsation
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 12:52:30 PM »
I don't know of any conversion programs out there, but I'm no expert....

This might require MicroStation V8 - the earlier versions don't have this tool. But if you can get your company to invest in it, the conversion is performed much like a 'save as' - just as simple and quick, anyway. My only advice for you is to keep the text, linetypes, etc. simple and purge.

M-dub

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 01:07:13 PM »
Thanks again, Kindra.

This was the first time that I can recall us having to convert TO Microstation.  Usually, it's the other way around, and we can do that here.  We'll see what happens in the near future... we're supposed to be reviewing our licenses & software in the next few weeks or so.

Dinosaur

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 01:17:21 PM »
If you wind up having to buy, Bently has a product called PowerDraft that should do what you need for a lot less than a seat of Microstation.

kindra

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 01:18:04 PM »
No problemo. Both Illinois Department of Transportation and Illinois State Toll Highway Authority require dgn format. This usually isn't a problem, as we know this going into the project, but some small municipality projects will send us their AutoCAD files, which are usually ridiculous, and we (read - I, the sole transportation drafter here) get the honor of converting their crap into something that makes sense. So although I haven't mastered the conversion, I've learned the hard way how to dodge certain amounts of hell.

M-dub

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 01:25:03 PM »
If you wind up having to buy, Bently has a product called PowerDraft that should do what you need for a lot less than a seat of Microstation.

<---Folds that little tidbit up and slips it in his shirt pocket for later... (oops, no shirt pocket.  Bookmarked instead.)

M-dub

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 01:26:27 PM »
...the honor of converting their crap into something that makes sense. So although I haven't mastered the conversion, I've learned the hard way how to dodge certain amounts of hell.

It doesn't matter WHAT software people use, there's always going to be those terrible messes.

Kate M

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »
So many replies so quickly! Three cheers for the Swamp. :love: (Don't worry, I'll be back if I run into trouble.... :-o)

pmvliet

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 02:58:05 PM »
Kate,

I actually used PowerDraft for a while. It's sort of the LT equivalent. I haven't run it on the V8 platform though.
I also ended up getting a full V8 license as well, so I have two.

Depending on how many files you are talking about, it might be easier to get a copy of V8 or XM now. There is also a program called CATS, that my previous company used to do translations. If he would check this forum, I'm sure he'd pipe in and say if it's worth it now, or if your better off just using Microstation.

I use to do a lot of Microstation work and then have to translate it into Autocad. Totally opposite, but we had lots of do's & do not's to make sure that everything worked out. For smaller projects where I had total control over the drawings, my translations were actually pretty good.

As Kindra stated: fonts, linetypes, and cutom entities, wipeouts/text masks. Basically anything that makes the software work really slick is a no-no when it comes to translating between packages. You could always farm out the translation part in the end if it's just a one-time thing.

Depending on if you have to send files back and forth or if it's just at the end, will decide which route you will go. You also need all the companies Cadd standards, layering, plot tables, etc before you even start. Do a quick test drawing with all your scenarios and translate it over and let them look at it to make sure it meets their requirements. This is very important!! Do they know you are going to be translating the files? Some companies get very nasty over that fact.

Pieter

Ask any more questions.

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 08:59:19 AM »
Translating from/to MicroStation using the MicroStation based tools works pretty well but it takes a bit of practice and there are some basic compatibility issues. MicroStation can only deal with Acad 2005 and older files and file setup has a big effect on outcome. If you use MicroStation to translate, Bentley has a good section in their help utility going over all of the settings. However with you using USTN 95, you're really behind the 8 ball. We used CATS for our translations for a long time with very good results but it's a pretty pricey program. 

M-dub

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 09:17:25 AM »
However with you using USTN 95, you're really behind the 8 ball. We used CATS for our translations for a long time with very good results but it's a pretty pricey program. 

Behind the 8 ball is right!  Thanks for the info, Scooter.  Welcome to theSwamp!  :)

Arizona

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 10:04:27 AM »
MicroStation can only deal with Acad 2005 and older files and file setup has a big effect on outcome. 

Actually the latest revision to the XM version of Microstation includes support for Acad 2007. :-)

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 09:38:13 AM »
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Kate M

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 12:03:27 PM »
http://heidihewett.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/02/autocad_2008_th.html

This may solve some of these problems...doesn't say if it will convert to and from or just "support".

M-dub

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 12:07:56 PM »
Oh, I know!  :-D
I can't wait!  I sure hope we get to make this upgrade!

To Good To Be True would be if we could open, modify and save all of our DGNs with AutoCAD 2008 and never have to use Microstation again.  Including the DGNs with Raster files attached.

again... that will likely be asking too much, but a guy can dream, can't he?!  :)

Arizona

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 12:35:27 PM »
but a guy can dream, can't he?!  :)
Yes, while it is still untaxable :-)