Author Topic: Creating .pcf files from .dgn  (Read 6346 times)

littlebw

Creating .pcf files from .dgn
« on: December 14, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »
Does anyone know of a tool that will read a Microstation .dgn formatted file and convert / produce a .pcf format file?

I am attempting to convert 3rd party created .dgn files for use in construction applications that need .pcf formatted data file.  I've exhausted the normal routes through Alias and our own Cad vendor and need some help.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
Re: Creating .pcf files from .dgn
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:28:29 PM »
I know there are a few people here that have been unfortunate enough to have to move to Microstation.  Maybe they can take your file and create it in a formate you can use.

Gluck!

littlebw

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 02:35:00 PM »
Greg B, thanks for the response.

Let me be a little clearer.  I need to convert thousands of .dgn files for an industrial  power project, over time, as deliverables are issued by the engineering entity. The need will be on-going.  The current PCF files provided by the Engineer's CAD system fall short of what we need.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:37:04 PM »
This may sound a little dumb, but where do PCF files come from? Is it a cad system, or something else.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

nivuahc

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 02:53:41 PM »
I'm guessing Pro/ENGINEER

Does Pro/ENGINEER read DXF files?

littlebw

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 03:05:36 PM »
Process 3D Cad systems, such as Autodesk /  Bentley / Microstation create the typical .dwg / .dgn files. These systems typically include the Alias supplied ISOGEN tool to dump thinks like piping Isometrics's from the 3D model. The ISOGEN tool also creates .idf  / .pcf text files which are then used by pipe fabricators for spool design (SPOOLGEN) and by constructors to build the plant / refinery.  

The .PCF file is essentlally a english like text file with each component (flange, weld, valve etc.)  being identified by a 3D coordinate, part number and other important information.  The file specifications for .idf and .pcf are supported by Alias are are usually standard output of the major 3D Cadd systems.  The file specs are published by Alias and freely available.

However, my company does not use Microstation and I have .dgn files to deal with on a large project.  We use these files to render the plant in a 3D modeling tool used by constructors in the field to review the plant design / integrate data from other construction support systems and create work packages etc.  the CAD deliverables are a whole lot more than just the printed ISO or pretty 3D picture.  The .PCF files have valuable data in them, if I can get to them.

In the project I am working on, our engineering partner can produce .pcf files in a limited fashion.  Their current CAD system does not produce all of the information we typically need and upgrading to the latest and greatest version of the CAD tool is not an option during the project.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 03:27:52 PM »
I'm guessing Pro/ENGINEER

Does Pro/ENGINEER read DXF files?
I understand it does read/write dxf files. I'm under the impression that the PCF files are not Pro-E files. (I may be wrong)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.