Author Topic: Flattening drawings.  (Read 50913 times)

CADaver

Re: Flattening drawings.
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2007, 02:46:35 PM »
Everything is spec'd.  Most of it by the governing codes such as API, ASME, ACI, AWS, AISC and the like, the rest by us or our client.  We check facilities just like we check drawings, only we call them inspectors... dozens of them.  Here, your foundation above would be inspected by at least three inspectors.  Errors still happen, that's what jack-hammers come is sizes.

why
A problem with VR and answering the phone and talking with folks as they pass my office.  Add a deep southeast Texas twang and you never know what'll pop up on screen.

deegeecees

« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2007, 02:47:49 PM »
Grammar knotzi.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2007, 02:48:07 PM »
Just one question I may regret asking, but I'm well aware that 3D drawings are much more usable than 2D and accept the fact; heck I live it.

What if you're in the situation where you're doing simple site plans, and your CAD tech's don't know how to manipulate or use a 3D drawing.
Doesn't happen here.  First we don't have but a couple "CAD Tech's" we use "designers" and engineers, and they are quite skilled at what we do.

Right, same here, but we're not talking about your house, but more "in general"

Maybe it's just for a drainage analysis... whatever...
Drainage analysis requires much of the 3D data contained in the file to calculate flow rates volumes and velocities.

That's your prefered method, sure, but many civil engineers are fine seeing a the footprint, eave heights, and roof slopes, no matter how that information is conveyed.  (There may be other details to it, I'm just going off what I logically think the important numbers are off the drawings we typically send our civil guys for such things)

What's wrong with taking your model, flattening it, cleaning it up a bit, and pushin' out the drawing.
You mean, other than breaking the 3D data we've invested time and money placing in the file and making a much less usable file out of it?  Nothing I guess.

There are situations where people don't know how to use a 3D drawing, and that does not make them any less successful of a CAD tech or designer or engineer than anyone else.
It may not, but they won't work here very long without becoming proficient in 3D.

Right... "here" (your house) but not "in general" which is the topic at hand.  The very existence of the tool.

This LSP routine has as valid a place in someone's arsenal of tools as any routines in yours.
As does exploding dimensions.  We've seen folks post on this very forum, what they consider are very valid reasons for exploding dims.

So this file doesn't work for -you-?

The topic isn't whether it works for you, Randy, you were challenging the very existence of the tool, which is why people are getting argumentative.

I have two clear simple questions that might clear up the need to argue further:

1)  Are you saying this tool should not be used, ever, or just not be used on your files or in your house?

2)  Do you dispute that other companies in other fields of work can quite successfully

CADaver

« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2007, 02:53:16 PM »
I don't know of any construction field with a tolerance of three feet.  Even highway rock blasting work.

What are your tolerances typically.  Just being curious I know this is going out of thread a little bit (sorry for this)
I'm not sure you can take this thread anywhere that could be considered "out".  The tolerances are widely varied depending on the construction activity.  Some reinforcing steel placement can have a three inch tolerance, some anchor bolt placement requires no more that a sixteenth.

With the standards you mentioned how do you spec those out?  Or say this part to be inspected  or made per ASME 14.673niner (I made that spec up)  Is it on a word document?
Most of it is big honking books purchased for big honking dollars.  We also have subscription services to online versions of nearly everything.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2007, 02:59:28 PM »
My position remains that stepping on an accurate 3D model is a bad idea, I don't care who is using it.
That is a mighty bold statement considering some people create a 3D model, specifically for the purpose of stepping on it to create a correct 2D representation. Are you saying then that if one does just that it is bad practice? If someone wants a 2D drawing they should just draw it in 2D?

Stepping on it reduces its usefulness, even if YOU never use the data for YOUR work, someone has used it or they would not have built it that way to start with.

What if I am the one who "built it that way to start with"?

Stepping on an accurate 3D model, breaks it and makes it less usable.
Not if the 3D representation cannot be viewed "correctly". In my line of work, "stepping on" a 3D model is the ONLY way to get an accurate plot ... and an accurate plot is infinitely more useful than all of the data in the 3D drawing combined.

Stepping on an inaccurate model results in a flat inaccurate model.
Technically you are correct, as you cannot have a 2D model, however you can have a 2D representation of a model from a specific viewpoint. Thus if you "step on" a 3D model that is incorrect in the 3D nature, yet its appearence is correct in the "view", you will be left with a correct 2D representation. Usefulness aside, the 2D representation will be correct.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

SDETERS

« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »
What tells the end user what spec to look at? Is it on the 2D drawings?  Or separate from the drawings?

Yes standards are expensive and man the amount of information in standards is overwhelming.

I guess the point I am trying to get at here is that if standards are being used I think this information is more important than any 3D model and or 2D drawing that can be provided.  It has tolerances, materials, testing procedures ect.   So it really does not matter what the CAD data say and or is as long as it meets the standards then you are happy.    But drawing and or Modeling as close to the math data of the standards is crucial.  So one does not have interferences and issues down the road.

CADaver

« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2007, 03:12:36 PM »
Just one question I may regret asking, but I'm well aware that 3D drawings are much more usable than 2D and accept the fact; heck I live it.

What if you're in the situation where you're doing simple site plans, and your CAD tech's don't know how to manipulate or use a 3D drawing.
Doesn't happen here.  First we don't have but a couple "CAD Tech's" we use "designers" and engineers, and they are quite skilled at what we do.

Oh, your question was "What if you're..."  I don't know what "you" do.  My position remains that it is a bad idea to step on an accurate 3D model.

Drainage analysis requires much of the 3D data contained in the file to calculate flow rates volumes and velocities.

That's your prefered method, sure, but many civil engineers are fine seeing a the footprint, eave heights, and roof slopes, no matter how that information is conveyed.  (There may be other details to it, I'm just going off what I logically think the important numbers are off the drawings we typically send our civil guys for such things)
We did it a 2D method for decades, it is quite doable.  Just takes a lot longer and requires more input.  See everyone posting here so far is still thinking with 2D methods even if they work 3D, "Numbers on a drawing".  I can do drainage analysis on our sites before we ever cut the first drawing or place the first "number" as text anywhere.

What's wrong with taking your model, flattening it, cleaning it up a bit, and pushin' out the drawing.
You mean, other than breaking the 3D data we've invested time and money placing in the file and making a much less usable file out of it?  Nothing I guess.

There are situations where people don't know how to use a 3D drawing, and that does not make them any less successful of a CAD tech or designer or engineer than anyone else.
It may not, but they won't work here very long without becoming proficient in 3D.

Right... "here" (your house) but not "in general" which is the topic at hand.  The very existence of the tool.
Can't speak for anyone else, but my topic has always been the advisability of stepping on a 3D model.  If you step on an accurate 3D model you reduce its usefulness, even if YOU aren't the one using the data.  If you step on an inaccurate file, you still have an inaccurate file, only flat.

This LSP routine has as valid a place in someone's arsenal of tools as any routines in yours.
As does exploding dimensions.  We've seen folks post on this very forum, what they consider are very valid reasons for exploding dims.

The topic isn't whether it works for you, Randy, you were challenging the very existence of the tool, which is why people are getting argumentative.
Oh I understand that very well.  Any time any one challenges the status quo, people get uncomfortable.  Do it with my sweet style, and people froth at the mouth.

I have two clear simple questions that might clear up the need to argue further:

1)  Are you saying this tool should not be used, ever, or just not be used on your files or in your house?
Yes, I'm saying on an accurate 3D it should never be used.  I question its use on an inaccurate model, but if others wish to rely on the other two-thirds being accurate, then carry on (I think I've said that six or eight times now.)

2)  Do you dispute that other companies in other fields of work can quite successfully
Never have.  We were quite successful using number two pencils on vellum for quite some time.  Some others are quite successful using only 2D CAD, and still others are very successful using other 3D tools.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2007, 03:15:29 PM »
Not if the 3D representation cannot be viewed "correctly". In my line of work, "stepping on" a 3D model is the ONLY way to get an accurate plot ... and an accurate plot is infinitely more useful than all of the data in the 3D drawing combined.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound like a good piece of software to me.

Now I know with Softplan you draw in 3D, but have all your drawings working in 2D (so to speak).

No reason to "step" your drawing just to plot it.

DataCAD has 3D capablities that we don't use.  The newest version has something we call smart walls and doors and windows that work similar to what Softplan does and this is still being developed and improved upon.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #203 on: August 17, 2007, 03:19:09 PM »
Anyone ever made a 3d model of an electric blanket?  I wonder how that would fit into this discussion.

CADaver

« Reply #204 on: August 17, 2007, 03:21:44 PM »
My position remains that stepping on an accurate 3D model is a bad idea, I don't care who is using it.
That is a mighty bold statement considering some people create a 3D model, specifically for the purpose of stepping on it to create a correct 2D representation. Are you saying then that if one does just that it is bad practice? If someone wants a 2D drawing they should just draw it in 2D?
Why waste the time doing it 3D then?

Stepping on it reduces its usefulness, even if YOU never use the data for YOUR work, someone has used it or they would not have built it that way to start with.

What if I am the one who "built it that way to start with"?
I need this clarified.  Why go to the trouble of building an accurate 3D model only to step on it?? 

If you're talking about something like SOLPROF, I've been trashing that bit of coding for a decade or more.  It divorces the drawing from the model and reduces the effectiveness of clash detection and increase the possibility of errors.

If you're saying that it is "easier" to add some stuff to the stepped on version, I'd say you should probably re-think your methods (thats how we got where we are).  Concepts like annotations belong in paperspace might be helpful.

Stepping on an accurate 3D model, breaks it and makes it less usable.
If the plot is not accurate then the model isn't.  If the model is accurate why wouldn't the plot be so??

Stepping on an inaccurate model results in a flat inaccurate model.
Technically you are correct, as you cannot have a 2D model, however you can have a 2D representation of a model from a specific viewpoint. Thus if you "step on" a 3D model that is incorrect in the 3D nature, yet its appearence is correct in the "view", you will be left with a correct 2D representation. Usefulness aside, the 2D representation will be correct.
If the creator of the file placed inaccurate 3D data I would not rely on his 2D data.  If that works for you carry on (that's seven or nine times now)

SDETERS

« Reply #205 on: August 17, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
Or 3D wire harness of car

They actually do this

That would be one mess of wires a wire harness say for a big Dodge or Ford Truck  Or how about the Electric Hybird cars they have now.  WOW

CADaver

« Reply #206 on: August 17, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »
Anyone ever made a 3d model of an electric blanket?  I wonder how that would fit into this discussion.
I haven't, but we model wire (cable) all the time.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #207 on: August 17, 2007, 03:24:36 PM »
I just think of the elevations. !

CADaver

« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2007, 03:25:53 PM »

Josh Nieman

« Reply #209 on: August 17, 2007, 03:34:51 PM »

Oh, your question was "What if you're..."  I don't know what "you" do.  My position remains that it is a bad idea to step on an accurate 3D model.

We did it a 2D method for decades, it is quite doable.  Just takes a lot longer and requires more input.  See everyone posting here so far is still thinking with 2D methods even if they work 3D, "Numbers on a drawing".  I can do drainage analysis on our sites before we ever cut the first drawing or place the first "number" as text anywhere.

Can't speak for anyone else, but my topic has always been the advisability of stepping on a 3D model.  If you step on an accurate 3D model you reduce its usefulness, even if YOU aren't the one using the data.  If you step on an inaccurate file, you still have an inaccurate file, only flat.

Oh I understand that very well.  Any time any one challenges the status quo, people get uncomfortable.  Do it with my sweet style, and people froth at the mouth.

Yes, I'm saying on an accurate 3D it should never be used.  I question its use on an inaccurate model, but if others wish to rely on the other two-thirds being accurate, then carry on (I think I've said that six or eight times now.)

Never have.  We were quite successful using number two pencils on vellum for quite some time.  Some others are quite successful using only 2D CAD, and still others are very successful using other 3D tools.

"Do it with my sweet style, and people froth at the mouth."  :-D  I like how you put that ;)

Thanks for the answers.  I was just trying to get better perspective and background of where you were coming from and the reasoning behind your replies.