Author Topic: Wipeout Trouble  (Read 4228 times)

craigr

Wipeout Trouble
« on: January 06, 2015, 08:39:25 AM »
I am trying to make a wipeout on the attached. I keep getting the following message and am unsure what it is telling me -

'The polyline must be closed and made up of only line segments.'

I am pretty sure that it is closed and don't know why it isn't 'line segments'. Obviously, I have something wrong but can figure out what.

Do any of you have any ideas what I have wrong?

craigr

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Wipeout Trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 09:04:37 AM »
you must break those arc segments into small line segments
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 09:11:18 AM »
that is an awfully large wipe out.

might in not be better handled another way?

like a creative use of XCLIP instead?

or putting all that stuff you are trying to hide inside that building on some layers that can be frozen within the viewport displaying that information?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

craigr

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 09:13:38 AM »
nah, this is a 'key' to be used in a corner of every page.

We have MANY Sites that I do this to, so of course I prefer to stick with a 'standard'.

This is the First time I have run into a problem doing this. I am currently getting rid of those curves.

Thanks

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »
nah, this is a 'key' to be used in a corner of every page.

We have MANY Sites that I do this to, so of course I prefer to stick with a 'standard'.

This is the First time I have run into a problem doing this. I am currently getting rid of those curves.

Thanks

a perfect use for frozen layers in that KEY view viewport.....you might reconsider
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »
This is how I'd do it.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »
Yes, I thought about using the Hatch, but once I make the wipeout(s), I place the lines within the frame breaking the building(s) into sections. This way when work is done in 'section A', I create a diagonal Hatch for that area.

craigr

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 09:37:17 AM »
you must break those arc segments into small line segments

Though I had to do it a couple of times before  I got it right, this suggestion took care of the problem.

To be honest, I saw the rounded area, but hadn't noticed they were arcs. I just assumed they were individual segments.

Thanks folks for the help / suggestions.

craigr

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 09:53:21 AM »
Yes, I thought about using the Hatch, but once I make the wipeout(s), I place the lines within the frame breaking the building(s) into sections. This way when work is done in 'section A', I create a diagonal Hatch for that area.
Something like this?

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 10:18:36 AM »
The attached is what I ended up with.  I then 'block off' the areas I want to Hatch for a particular project.

For some reason, I still prefer to work with my Wipeouts.
I initially used the Hatches instead of the Wipeouts but I don't remember why. I'm thinking it had something to do with a background of my key. I don't want it to be any other color than 'paper' color. - I just want to wipeout the walls, doors, etc... underneath it.

Or, am I just being stubborn?  ;)

craigr

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »
The attached is what I ended up with.  I then 'block off' the areas I want to Hatch for a particular project.

For some reason, I still prefer to work with my Wipeouts.
I initially used the Hatches instead of the Wipeouts but I don't remember why. I'm thinking it had something to do with a background of my key. I don't want it to be any other color than 'paper' color. - I just want to wipeout the walls, doors, etc... underneath it.

craigr
  yes, because you could just freeze those layers in that key view, view port....it should be far faster an easier to do, as most likely those exterior walls that you are preserving should be on thier own layer, and or easy enough to isolate and place on a unique layer if they are not already....
and it would allow use of the other walls, etc to create the hatch boundaries that you need without drawing new boundaries.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »
craigr
My guess is you're being stubborn. If you were using hatches, this post would not exist.  ;D
In the end though .. if it works for you then that's all that matters. I just wouldn't approach it that way.

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 10:56:31 AM »
I still see it as we both want to get to the back side of the barn. You went one way and I went the other. And, admittedly, I AM a creature of habit. Unless, you can show me that I don't have to fight the guard dog off if I go your way around the barn.

:)

Thanks again for all of the help.

craigr

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 10:58:21 AM »
Here's a quick example.

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »
Yes, I understand. I have done that before, but not with building keys.

I am pretty restrictive about adding layers to our dwgs. (I manage our CAD dwgs). We had some pretty horrible layer issues in the past and have set standards for layer use. If you saw our type of dwgs, you would understand. They are very non-typical. Because of this, we keep layer numbers to a minimum. Your multiple layers gives me pause. My wipeout uses ONE layer & easy to understand by Non-CAD professionals (Engineers).

Your way around the barn seems to have more guard dogs than mine. Like what you said earlier, it works for us.