Author Topic: Plot Preview ... again  (Read 1529 times)

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
Plot Preview ... again
« on: May 17, 2006, 05:35:05 PM »
Hey all,
this topic has been discussed before (I just spent the last hour perusing the list of searched items), however, none of the topics seemed to come up with a solution.  So I thought I'd throw it out again in hopes someone will have an idea of what I can do short of uninstalling and reinstalling ACAD in hopes that it will work.

I've just updated to ACAD 2006.  Just got it all configured the way I like it and started to get down to work when I tried plotting a dwg and discovered I can't see anything but text.
What is odd is the fact that it is not consistent.
My drawing is done in Model space.  My title block is a different drawing done in model space and xrefed to the paperspace of my drawing.
In paperspace, I create the viewport, set it to defpoints (so the viewport frame doesn't print), and scale the drawing as needed.
When I plot however, my plot preview displays the text on the xrefed titleblock, It displays the title from the drawing through the viewport, & It displays SOME of the text on the drawing.  But that is it.  Nothing else is displayed.
When I print, the whole sheet prints out just fine, all the drawing, the text, dimensions, titleblock, etc.

When I open another drawing and do a plot preview, There is only some of the text from the titleblock (Mind you these drawing are set up exacly the same, titleblock xrefed into the paperspace of the drawing and a viewport created, etc.), and different pieces of text from the drawing through the viewport show.  The rest of the plot preview is blank.

Would anyone have some ideas and/or suggestions I could try ??
Additional questions are welcome, I'm sure I haven't covered everything here.

There are three other 2006 machines in the office and they can open the exact same dwgs and preview them without a problem.
I've recreated the plotter and PMP files in hopes it would help, but alas, it has not.  I've gone through the settings from the other machines to see if my new machine was off somewhere, but I could not find any setting differences.

Thank you all for your help.
Hangman  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm

dtkell

• Bull Frog
Re: Plot Preview ... again
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 08:22:42 PM »
Did you install over a previous version of AutoCAD without completely removing that version first?
Did you update your pc3 files also?
\"What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?\" -Ursula K. Le Guin

pmvliet

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:51:35 PM »
I would be curious to the type of font that is being used by your drawing/machine.
and doublecheck against the other machines that it is using the same font.
Fontalt, might replace the font you are using on your machine to something like simplex on the other machines...

if the font's are not in a central location, you possible could have different definitions of the same font
if it is something not standard to autocad and standard to the same version/install.
Some fonts from previous versions may or may not be in 2006...

kentium3k

• Newt
  • Adopt a Greyhound! No, not a bus.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 01:40:46 PM »
This happened to me one day after having used 2006 for a year.  The problem only occured on the HP1050C, any other plotter's pc3's worked fine.  I never found a solution and have moved to 2007 and so far I have not seen this problem.
Prosperity is only an instrument to be used, not a deity to be worshiped. C. Coolidge

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 01:12:52 PM »
Hey thanks guys for your input.

I have found the problem and the problem is ...  ACAD 2006.

I just spent the last five and half hours troubleshooting this stupid thing.

Appearently when I bring in my profile from the 2005 I was running, it affects the plot preview.  Really sucks 'cause I had to rebuild the profile.
Has anyone watched the time when going through all those tabs in the options, making the settings they need?.  What a time consumer.

Anyway, to answer some of your questions, dtkell asked:
Did you install over a previous version of AutoCAD without completely removing that version first?
Did you update your pc3 files also?

This was a clean install.  New machine, formatted the drive and installed the OS.
The only files I had to migrate over were my custom menus and toolbars, the MNS files basically.
It was when I loaded my profile that the trouble began.

pmvliet asked:
I would be curious to the type of font that is being used by your drawing/machine.
and doublecheck against the other machines that it is using the same font.
Fontalt, might replace the font you are using on your machine to something like simplex on the other machines...

if the font's are not in a central location, you possible could have different definitions of the same font
if it is something not standard to autocad and standard to the same version/install.
Some fonts from previous versions may or may not be in 2006...

The fonts are all default.  I didn't bother changing the Fontalt as we get dwgs from several occupations and we never know what we will be working with.
We have the office pretty well automated, plotters, styles, fonts, etc., are all on the server and updated periodically.  So if one of us has a problem, the rest will have a problem.

Thanks guys for your input and ideas, I greatly appreciate your help.
Hangman  8)

Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm