Author Topic: CAD Test  (Read 12062 times)

M-dub

CAD Test
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2005, 09:56:50 AM »
Quote from: nivuahc
The test I used to give was...

...about your ability to think for yourself and your ability to draw.

That's exactly what I'm putting together. :)  Almost verbatim.  I couldn't agree more.  We couldn't expect everyone to be able to know our standards without having worked here before, but as long as they use good drafting practices (more importantly, as long as they don't muck things up royally), they stand a chance.  Here's what I have written on my scratch pad so far:

● Create a new project directory on C:\ called E12-345
● Start AutoCAD and recreate the drawing included with handout
● Print drawing to scale
● Create mock timesheet in Excel, using functions to calculate hours for a week
● Create Zip file, containing the drawing and the timesheet and e-mail it to _____________

Something like that, anyway.  Any ideas as to what we should have a mechanical / piping guy draw up?  Something that's simple, but will require that they use a variety of commands.  They're aiming at about 30 minutes for this whole 'testing' phase of the interview, so it has to be fairly simple.  Should it be an ISO or what?

Thanks again, everyone ;)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
CAD Test
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2005, 10:35:40 AM »
Just some questions I might ask if I were given these instructions.
Quote from: M-dub

● Create a new project directory on C:\ called E12-345

Do you want it in the root of C or do you have a specific place on the C drive you would like it created? Do you prefer the project directory be read only for all users except "current user", or should I presume that all local users have rights to modify these files, also, should I publish this project directory to the LAN and/or WAN and/or WLAN so other users will have access to them, and if so, what rights should I allow for these users?

● Start AutoCAD and recreate the drawing included with handout

Will a complete 3d model be required or would you prefer a 2d representation or isometric view? Do you have a specific template you would like me to use? A specific title block? Do you prefer MS or PS?

● Print drawing to scale

What scale? What size paper? Do you prefer a MS plot or a PS plot?

● Create mock timesheet in Excel, using functions to calculate hours for a week

Do you want the Excel timesheet to cover only this particular project, or would you like it to have entries for multiple projects, so that you can readily see how my time in the office was split among projects? Would you prefer to see the days split among different worksheets or would you prefer different projects be assigned their own worksheet within the spreadsheet?

● Create Zip file, containing the drawing and the timesheet and e-mail it to _____________

What compression factor would you prefer I use? Should I presume the recipient does not have all of the shapes and fonts, and thus include them in the compressed archive? Would you like the DWG file sent in an editable format or one that is not readily editable without special knowledge or special programming?

What would you like for me to do for the remainder of the alotted time for this project?  :roll:
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

M-dub

CAD Test
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2005, 10:47:09 AM »
Easy, Tiger!  You've got a little brown on your nose there....nope, other side....there, you got it.  :twisted:

Yes, I know all of those questions would exist if what I wrote WAS the test, but there will be more specific instruction to follow....those were just my rough notes.  I'm figuring out the details now...

Compression factor...Sheesh! :roll:

I don't need to know if they are absolute gurus...I just need to know if they have the fundamentals there and that they can follow simple instruction.

Thanks for pointing those questions out though, Keith.  ;)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
CAD Test
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2005, 11:24:07 AM »
I was merely pointing out potential questions that might need to be addressed in your specific instructions. All applicants will likely not understand, much less be able to implement many of the items I mentioned above, but, by making the process appear difficult to the novice user, you can quickly weed them out.

The additional questions I posed to your instructions would provide a great deal of insight into:

Whether a person understands the nature of networking with other users.

The pitfalls (of which I have seen from many in this forum) concerning just sending out files without consideration to what impact they might have on the company sending them, and/or the company receiving them.

How to account for time spent on multiple projects.

Time management, i.e. (what to do when I complete the assigned task)

Attention to detail.

Ability to comply with standards.

Knowledge of archiving techniques.

Organizational skills.

Of course most importantly, when you give specific instructions to a person that they do not understand, do they .... a) try to BS their way through it ... b) ask you to explain in a little more detail so they understand better ... c) simply tell you that they do not have experience in that area
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Big G

• Bull Frog
CAD Test
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2005, 11:26:59 AM »
Get them to create different views of the drawing test and publish them to a multi-sheet DWF.
I thought i seen the light at the end of the tunnel. But it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work.
"You have to accept that somedays youre the pigeon and  somedays youre the statue"

daron

CAD Test
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2005, 12:07:15 PM »
Create mock timesheet in Excel, using functions to calculate hours for a week

Is this highly necessary? I mean, the point of automation is that it should be done maybe once. IOW, interviewee: I assume you have one of these. Could I just get the one you have and fill it out from there?

PDJ

CAD Test
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2005, 12:07:35 PM »
Ask them this question:

You have a very important meeting with your immediate supervisor, the CEO of the company, the president of your biggest client, three of his engineers, and your local school board chief engineer to discuss a future multi-million dollar project.  What type and how many donuts will you bring to the meeting??

Everything else is just gravy..

daron

CAD Test
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2005, 12:09:28 PM »
24. Three for everybody including me.

t-bear

CAD Test
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2005, 12:10:54 PM »
Daron.........you're hired!  When can you start?

daron

CAD Test
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2005, 12:17:04 PM »
Two weeks.

M-dub

CAD Test
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2005, 12:27:48 PM »
Quote from: Keith
Of course most importantly, when you give specific instructions to a person that they do not understand, do they .... a) try to BS their way through it ... b) ask you to explain in a little more detail so they understand better ... c) simply tell you that they do not have experience in that area

Agreed :)

Quote from: daron
Create mock timesheet in Excel, using functions to calculate hours for a week

Is this highly necessary?

Yes.  Not for a timesheet, but just to see that they know of and how to use the functions in Excel.  They will be required to use Excel to create estimates and many other documents, so we just want to make sure they have a clue.

daron

CAD Test
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2005, 12:31:11 PM »
Okay. That makes sense. I just was wondering what the relavence was to the job.

M-dub

CAD Test
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2005, 12:36:17 PM »
Yeah, there are a few things that are there just to see what they do / how they do it.  Creating the project directory, zipping it up and e-mailing it might all seem really trivial to the applicant...possibly trivial enough that they might not even think it's part of the test!  However, what one person thinks is a breeze and could do in their sleep, someone else might not have the first clue as to where to start.

t-bear

CAD Test
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2005, 01:07:41 PM »
someone else might not have the first clue as to where to start.

That'd be me.....we never use Excel here.  Hell, I couldn't create ANYTHING in it.  Our database is Access and that's all we use for BOMs etc....
Guess I don't qualify guys.......... :cry:

daron

CAD Test
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2005, 01:08:49 PM »
That's okay, Ted. I tried Access once. Once.