Author Topic: ASAP Please!! XREF Problem!  (Read 3097 times)

craigr

ASAP Please!! XREF Problem!
« on: September 23, 2004, 09:46:27 AM »
Win2000 pro, Aclt98, 2000i & 2005. (I work in LT98).

First off, I know little about xrefs, basically just the concept of what they are.

I have recieved a dwg of a building floor plan. Parts of the floor plan are xrefed to another 2 dwgs, which I also have.

I ONLY want the bldg layout which is broken up into all 3 dwgs, xrefed.
My ultimate goal is to have ONE dwg with the bldg outline, with walls doors, etc.. on ONE layer which I call 'Floorplan'.

Is it possible to combine all of this to get rid of the xrefs.

CADaver

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 10:25:58 AM »
Basically, XREF's are just blocks that have their definition outside the current drawing.  You can edit that definition and it will be reflected everywhere that drawing is XREF'd.

Select the XREF's from the list you'd like "inserted" permanently into the current drawing, then pick the BIND button from the right side of the XREF dialog box.  You'll then be given the option of "BIND" BIND or "INSERT" BIND  (Simple 'til then right).

"BIND" BIND - Makes the xref a block, but adds the xref name as a prefix to all table names coming from that file.  Example: FILE MYDWG has an XREF called SOMEBKG.dwg.  While it is still and XREF a layer listing will show layers (blocks, linetypes, styles, etc) prefixxed with that XREF name and a "pipe" "|" (SOMEBKG|ROAD).  "BIND" BIND replaces that "pipe" "|" with $0$ so that the layer (or block or whatever) name becomes SOMEBKG$0$ROAD.  (Thank goodness for the rename command)  This renaming is necessary for a couple of reasons, but primarily to avoid conflict with the current drawing's names.  You may have layer SOMEBKG|ROAD frozen in a couple of viewports, but the current drawing's ROAD layer needs to be visible.  Or there may be block name confilcts, etc.

"INSERT" BIND  - makes the xref a block, just as if you used the INSERT BROWSE feature.  Any common name in the XREF would take on all the aspects of that name in MYDWG.dwg.  Most of the time this is the method of choice.

Either way you choose, the XERF becomes a block, that can then be exploded and manipulated to your heart's content.

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 02:13:27 PM »
by using XREF, select all and BIND option
Keep smile...

Big Boi

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 02:37:18 PM »
I have to agree with Andrea binding all the xrefs is the best way to solve your problem.

t-bear

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 03:19:49 PM »
Only problem with the bind "insert" option is when you have the same layer name in the xref and main dwg...ie "pipe".  They both end up on the same layer.  This is not always a good thing, especially if you plan on freezing the xref'd "pipe" but not the main "pipe".........
Think it through and do a bit of checking before you jump right in.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt...and a mess!

craigr

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 10:55:41 AM »
Same problem again!

I got the original dwg emailed to me again. I need to have EVERYTHING in ONE dwg so that I can paste it into my title block without xrefs.

I did the 'bind' thing, that Andrea suggested, on the first xref, but it still won't let me select everything.

When I tried to 'bind' the 2nd one, it has the message 'Nested Xref in selection set: bind disabled'.

I know I am missing something here, and I appreciate the help you have already given me, but do you have any other suggestions?

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 11:18:32 AM »
Fisrt way:
You may have to bind the parent xref into the child xref then bind into the drawing.

Second Way:
I know this is not the sophisticated way to solve he problem but that is how I often
approach a problem. This is what I would do.
Working with copies of the drawings, copy the xref dwgs to one with a new name then
open all of the copies. Go to model space and copy the objects with base point.
Then paste them into the final drawing. They will overlay the xref. When you do that
for all the xref copies and they overlay exactly you can delete the actual xref from
that drawing. Crude but effective.

The other way works too.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.