Code Red > ACAD with .NET8+

Migrating Windows desktop app away from WinForms

(1/4) > >>

57gmc:
Although most AutoCAD apps will probably be intended for Windows desktops, it would be good to know how to make it platform independent, by replacing Windows Forms objects with something platform independent. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with a replacement technology? Preferably something with an IDE or designer ui.

kdub_nz:
I'm looking forward to trying .NET MAUI,

but not for a couple months.

first I'd investigate if the XAML from WPF is migratable  :)

Perhaps someone will drop past who actually knows from current experience.

57gmc:
Maui is something that I've only read the name of. Haven't checked into it yet, but it's at the top of the list.

MickD:
I'm working on a platform independent HTML/CSS/JS UI based in Tauri (an alternative to electron).
It's not quite as 'integrated' as native forms and is a standalone application that talks to your CAD plugin via web sockets for events and data. It works quite well but as I said, it's not 'a part of' your app or plugin but sits along side which may be a non starter for some.

The UI is built with HTML and CSS which is very flexible and easy to learn. The UX stuff is done in JavaScript, again, easy to learn and there's mountains of examples on the web to learn from.
Development is done in vscode which gives you full debugging in vscode and in the browser view's development tools (the same as in google chrome). You can also debug your CAD scripts as well, the scripting engine used is ClearSCriptV8 which allows for complete integration with .Net and the CAD systems API.

It's not up on a public repo just yet but let me know if you're interested and I'll provide some more info.

57gmc:
Hi Mick
I'm having trouble picturing how that would work with AutoCAD. Would the windows still be able to implement modeless windows?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version