Author Topic: child styles  (Read 4795 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: child styles
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »
I would have thought so..however I can just imagine how weird it would be to get used to....SCALING paperspace at all
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

reno

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 05:43:43 PM »
close enough in scale so when measuring with your ruler it's close enough.

perfect...a 3d model reduced to 'close enough'  there is something just not quite Jake here....
as soon as you print to paper, you've lost the model so i suppose just printing wouldn't be quite jake. besides, how close can you measure with your engineers scale? even plotting at a 10 scale, you would be hard pressed to measure a distance more accurately then 1/4 foot.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 05:56:10 PM »
close enough in scale so when measuring with your ruler it's close enough.

perfect...a 3d model reduced to 'close enough'  there is something just not quite Jake here....
as soon as you print to paper, you've lost the model so i suppose just printing wouldn't be quite jake. besides, how close can you measure with your engineers scale? even plotting at a 10 scale, you would be hard pressed to measure a distance more accurately then 1/4 foot.
irrespective of how accurately one can measure the printed output
there is a difference between working within the inherent limitations of an output process, and creating the data in such a fashion that it is 'close enough' even before being output

and yes I know we tell folks all the time NOT to scale plans...and then they do...
and these days of actually loading the model into the survey/grading device pretty much eliminates most scaling from plans

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

reno

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
but the data isn't created "close enough". the data is spot on, the printed version of the data is "close enough". you don't export layout tabs to a machine control. the only thing the layout tabs are used for is plotting.

(just discovered some of the text formatting tools and smilies  :-D)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 06:26:55 PM »
the model may be exact...however...the thing was some user indicated "it should be close enough" and they were discussing scaling paperspace

I'm not getting into the vagaries of how thick is the plotted line, what is the error of precision of the plotter, or how much creep there might be in the blue print....

Given that we are using CADD there shouldn't be any call for either the model OR the paperspace data to be 'close enough', I don't care how you plot it.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

reno

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 01:35:41 AM »
dude, i'm the "some user" and again, the ONLY reason this came up is because we are plotting to paper. what does it matter if a paper replication of the model is off by 1/1000'?

again, it's a paper replication of the model, not the model itself! the cad is exact, the paper is different.

sinc

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »
It sounds to me like there's been some confusion in this thread between "scaling plans" as in "setting Autocad viewport and paperspace scales to appropriate values" vs. "measuring printed plans with a scale".

We can setup the viewport and paperspace scales EXACTLY.  There's no reason to need an "approximation" there.  So the only issue then is how accurately the printer can print.  These days, in my experience, the vast majority of printers introduce negligible distortion, and you can use a scale on those plans just fine.  Scaling off of a copy of a drawing tends to be worse, though, as I still see most scanners that distort the scanned image in one direction more than the other.

But we also get into another issue, that of "accuracy" vs. "precision".  In this thread, the word "accuracy" has been repeatedly used when people are really talking about "precision".  We can print out a very accurate plan set, but we are limited in how precisely we can measure that line by putting an engineer's scale up against that paper print.