Author Topic: C3D 2011  (Read 9172 times)

sourdough

• Bull Frog
Re: C3D 2011
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »
My turn for a guess, MJP. DId you have a number of points selected when you edited the scale to 0? If so, it will try to set each & every one of the selected points to 0, giving an error for each one. This could lead one to think it was in an infinite loop if you had thousands of points.

I should add that this has been an issue for all versions, I believe.

Yes, I was editing (all) a couple of thousand pts, but I did wait about 5 min. before the death of the session. I had
selected all the pts, and did a right click edit of the header column to change, then boom! Just one of those things
you run across that I won't do again, or least till the next example I find. And I did get the error box over and over, the endless
loop.

MJP
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:19:55 PM by sourdoug »
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 10:58:11 PM »
now THAT begits one a spate of errors just foul enough to send one into a rant....seeing as how long it has been around...interestingly enough I've some how avoided need to scale my points after insertion, in this fashion. 
So my setting that to happen in my Descriptor Keys and simply reimporting my points has saved me all along....
Yeah, I actually stumbled across this a few years ago when I was just sitting at my desk testing different things. I inadvertently entered a 0 for the scale when I had all of the points selected in one of the Tutorial drawings.... I don't think I've ever actually manually set the scale for the points in my own drawings. But the experience stuck with me enough to think that's what Mike had done, too.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Jeff, this seems to be more or a 'problem' of procedure rather an an issue that is going to constantly bite the user.
Sort of like the old joke; Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this.....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »
Jeff, this seems to be more or a 'problem' of procedure rather an an issue that is going to constantly bite the user.
Sort of like the old joke; Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this.....
Agreed. However, this is likely a very simple fix from a programming standpoint. The simplest being, warn the user as it does now then cancel the loop. Unless they intentionally left it this way to punish the user for doing a BAD thing...the electronic version of being sent to the blackboard: "I will not do that again! I will not do that again!........" :-)

Wedding

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »
You know my favorite question....

Has anyone filed a Support Request against this issue? If it's not in the system, it probably won't be fixed.

I'm not saying it's the way that it should be, or even that I like it, but I understand it, and I hope you do as well.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 12:51:12 AM »
Has anyone filed a Support Request against this issue? If it's not in the system, it probably won't be fixed.
I thought I had submitted a SR the first time I came across this, James, but it's entirely possible I did not. I did add it to the wish list a few days ago, though.

sinc

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 08:10:33 AM »
You know my favorite question....

I'm not saying it's the way that it should be, or even that I like it, but I understand it, and I hope you do as well.

You understand it...?   I don't.

You know my favorite follow-up whenever you say this...  Why can't people who work for Autodesk make sure things like this are "in the system" when they see them in forums like this?  After all, we don't have access to "the system", and we can't check to see if it's already been reported.

Although this also gets back to the way Autodesk classifies reports...  There are bugs that simply do not get fixed, even when they ARE reported.  It's like there's thresholds on the reports, and no matter how important an individual report might be, it is ignored unless the same report is received from a lot of people.  It's the sort of thing that leads to all the disparaging comments about Autodesk's quality.  How many times do we really have to report a bug before it gets fixed?  And why does it take so many reports?