Author Topic: (OT) Drive the GIS folks crazy!  (Read 5914 times)

sinc

Re: (OT) Drive the GIS folks crazy!
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »
No, no pattern.  Some others that are basically the same, identical except maybe for text style or text height, will be fine.  It probably has something to do with whatever is going wrong internally that creates the MOO errors.  Or maybe once there are MOO errors, it's possible to compound the errors by doing certain things...  Hard to say.

It took a lot of trial-and-error just to figure out that I could "fix" MOO errors by dragging all the items in the tree between drawings in a specific way.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 04:10:20 PM »
Hehe. MOO errors are milking you of your time.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 04:34:01 PM »
 :lmao:

sinc

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 05:09:23 PM »
...But if your Styles explode in dark foreboding goo, I'll see you on "The Far Side" of the MOO error...

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 07:41:26 AM »
...But if your Styles explode in dark foreboding goo, I'll see you on "The Far Side" of the MOO error...

That is a work of pure genius.  I salute you, Sir!
dJE
===
dJE

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2009, 07:42:09 AM »
I'm not surprised.  Technically, the term "legal description" doesn't make any sense, but people use it anyway.   :-)

We won't get into that "discussion" again. :)

I'm intriqued.  Any chance of a link?

dJE
===
dJE

sinc

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2009, 09:11:20 AM »
Not sure about a link, but the basic problem is that "legal description" simply doesn't make sense.  Instead, we actually write "property descriptions".  Then these descriptions may be included in legal documents.  But there is nothing "legal" about a property description that is not part of some other document.

But having said that, you can go anywhere in the US and say "I need a legal description" and people will know exactly what you mean.  Even in our company, we still say "we need to prepare a Legal for that job", and stuff like that.  But when I actually create documents for recording, I usually put "Property Description" in the document, not "Legal Description".

It's one of those things that gets mis-used so often that the mis-use has become "normal", even though it doesn't really make sense.  Kind of like people who say "I could care less".  You mean you could care less, but you choose not to?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2009, 11:39:01 AM »
An old surveyor acquaintance told me long ago what he believed to be the origin of the term "Legal Description". Whether true, or not, I have no idea, but it made sense to me at the time. He said that back in the 1800's ONLY lawyers were allowed to prepare the legal documents, including the description of the property. Since the description was prepared by an attorney, it was a "Legal Description".

FWIW....

Bakerman

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »

I worked for a surveyor some years ago who refused to label a description "Legal Description". That was his contention also......only a lawyer can draw up a legal description. I worked there for twenty years and every description that left the building was a "Property Description".