Author Topic: Question about LTSCALE  (Read 2805 times)

M-dub

Question about LTSCALE
« on: February 11, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »
I know this is a bit of a weird question...

Let's say that your current LTSCALE is set to 1.0
Other than copying and pasting from a different drawing, is there any way to add new lines or objects to the drawing at an LTSCALE OTHER THAN 1.0?

There isn't some obscure variable that allows you to have LTSCALE set to 1 and lets you add new lines at an LTSCALE of 0.25 is there?

Thanks

Dinosaur

Re: Question about LTSCALE
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:01:51 AM »
celtscale?

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »
Well, that answers that question, I guess, doesn't it?!

Thanks!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:24:59 AM »
and to make it a little more interesting within Civil 3D one can set ltscale on the Display Components of various Objects, like the corridor.... :laugh:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

deegeecees

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 11:15:19 AM »
You can set the LTSCALE for each entity through the properties pallete too.

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 11:44:49 AM »
You can set the LTSCALE for each entity through the properties pallete too.

Right... That's the problem we're facing right now.  We're changing a couple thousand drawings and they want 'our stuff' to look 'right', so they've decided that the LTSCALE needs to be CHANGED to 1 in every drawing we touch.  The clients' drawings have a number of different LTSCALES set.  I don't really agree with that because in doing so, we change some of the existing objects in the drawing, "but hey!  Our stuff looks great, don't it?!"  :roll:

Really, there is no perfect (quick) solution, so I'm just going to pretend that I don't care and go ahead with their plans.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:51:38 AM »
in theory M-Dub LTSCALE should always be set to 1.

not that I'm defending those knuckleheads ;)

If the ltype doesn't work well at one (1) then it should be (re)defined  such that it does.

mixing ltscales on a per object/layer basis is like hearding grass hoppers
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:46:07 PM »
I agree with you on all accounts.  But we're talking about a couple thousand drawings and limited time to make our changes. (thanks to the engineer who likes to make promises without consulting the CAD Department first.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »
you are scripting this right?  With a script you could be done in about 8 hours give or take
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

deegeecees

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »
you are scripting this right?  With a script you could be done in about 8 hours give or take

http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/index.php?dir=deegeecees/apps/&file=batch_anything.lsp

Add some ODBX, and yer goodtago.

Edit: The code provided in the link is for batch processing (opening/saving/closing) drawings, therefore the use of ODBX with it is pointless. I don't know what the heck I was thinking that day.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:38:09 PM by DGCS »

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 03:56:08 PM »
I wish I learned that ODBX stuff.  I have always wanted to process drawings without even opening them.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

M-dub

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 03:58:50 PM »

I / We wish...

The scripted part is only to bring a handful of blocks into the drawing and to populate their attributes from their database.  That alone will reduce the time spent to A) Mark the drawings up, B) CAD the changes and C) Check that all entries are correct.  It accounts for approximately 50 - 60,000 entries.  There is still a lot of CAD work involved to get things in the proper spots by erasing, stretching, moving... all kinds of stuff.  And we're talking about drawings that seem not to adhere to any standards whatsoever... or, more acurately, to a number of different standards.

deegeecees

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »
I wish I learned that ODBX stuff.  I have always wanted to process drawings without even opening them.

You're kidding right? I thought you were ODBX literate.

deegeecees

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »

I wish I learned that ODBX stuff.  I have always wanted to process drawings without even opening them.

You're kidding right? I thought you were ODBX literate.
Sadly, NOPE, I'm illiterate.  A few here offered to help me get my feet wet, but the oppertunity never was right.