Author Topic: I don't remember how...  (Read 7936 times)

craigr

I don't remember how...
« on: October 14, 2008, 02:30:48 PM »
We often get floorplans from other Engineers, that we need to 'clean' the dwg of everything but the doors, walls, windows, etc..

We then take everything and put it on a new layer we name 'Floorplan'. We then purge all of the other layers.

A longstanding problem has been that every now and then, we find layer(s) that we cannot purge. I usually use the 'erase all' option, but sometimes this doesn't work. Even the qselect doesn't always do it. Of course we explode everthing as much as possible.

I recently figured out a way to find these 'phantom' entities on the bad layers, but today I don't remember what it was. Do any of you have another idea of how to find them?

At this point, I just copied the parts I want to a new title block and replace the old - but I would rather not have to  go thru the process.

craigr

New Shooz

Re: I don't remember how...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »
try using LAYWALK, and then LAYDEL, once you have identified entities on the layer(s) you wish to delete

craigr

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 02:41:29 PM »
try using LAYWALK, and then LAYDEL, once you have identified entities on the layer(s) you wish to delete

That is the problem, we can't find anything on that layer.

craigr

craigr

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 02:45:32 PM »
Duh...

I just remembered how....

I drew a line on the layer that I want to get rid of, then selected it then 'delete layer'.

Sorry to waste your time, - I must have had a 'brain fart'.

craigr

Gliderider

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 03:19:07 PM »
The Laydel has a Name option so you can pick the layer from a dialog box (at least 2008 does).

Kate M

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 03:25:36 PM »
LAYMRG is also helpful in this situation -- merge the offending layer with one you want to keep to be sure you don't lose any data that might be hiding on that layer.

dtkell

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »
And when all else fails, go to Owen Wengerd's Manusoft.com for 'SuperPurge', because it does super purge.
It will purge layers that have no entities but still otherwise cannot be deleted.
\"What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?\" -Ursula K. Le Guin

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 03:41:31 PM »
LAYMRG is also helpful in this situation -- merge the offending layer with one you want to keep to be sure you don't lose any data that might be hiding on that layer.

That's a nice tip, Kate.  :)

craigr

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 08:22:56 AM »

Alright, I tried the 'LayMrg' command - a couple of times.

Either I am doing something wrong or I don't understand what it does.

I have two layers, one called 'Pink' & the other 'Green'. I would like to eliminate 'Pink' by merging it into 'Green'.
So I do the LayMrg command and select Pink, then hit enter then select Green and hit enter. - Nothing has changed.

Did I do something wrong? Am I misunderstanding what this command does?

craigr

Alan Cullen

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 08:31:23 AM »
use qselect based on layer "pink" and change every there to layer "green".

Change...P.....P...LA...GREEN....

done......

Oh..and then PURGE...just to get rid of empty layer "pink"...hoping no blocks were bought in on layer pink.......woot.....

Craig...stop dreaming about Pacific paradises......  :lmao: :lmao:

craigr

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 08:43:21 AM »
Craig...stop dreaming about Pacific paradises......  :lmao: :lmao:

I thought of you this morning as I was scraping the HEAVY frost off the windows of my Truck - :)

As for the CAD, what I am actually trying to do is...
I have a dwg from some other company that has the room name & room number as a block with attributes, they are on 2 different layers and 2 different colors.

I want to put them on my 'standard' layer called 'roomnumbers' and have everything bylayer color.

If I explode their block, I lose the name & number. I tried going into the block editor and changing everthing from there, but that didn't work either.

I run into this often, and would LOVE to find a solution. I thought the LayMrg was it.

craigr

New Shooz

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 08:45:12 AM »
did you ATTSYNC after exiting the block editor ?

craigr

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 08:46:28 AM »

Apparently, that is not an option in LT.

craigr

Alan Cullen

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 08:56:25 AM »
Omaha, we have a problem.......

LT doesn't have what I was about to suggest.....

*sucks up with baby koala and stays away from the real world*

hell...it's my paradise...I can beat it, thump it, love it, as hard and as fast as I want.

Mawhawhaw

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »

Apparently, that is not an option in LT.

craigr

Have you considered buying a real version of AutoCAD?   :roll:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io