Author Topic: AutoCAD LT area calcs  (Read 2477 times)

DanB

• Bull Frog
AutoCAD LT area calcs
« on: February 14, 2005, 01:17:17 PM »
One of our engineers was asking if there is a faster way to run area calculations in AutoCAD LT. Currently she is creating closed polylines and running LIST, then doing S.F. conversions to Acres. I have never had to work on AutoCAD LT but I know you cannot run LISP routines. Without stirring up too much conflict (I see some discussions further down the forum) any ideas?

Dent Cermak

AutoCAD LT area calcs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 01:23:57 PM »
Nope. In LT, what you see is what you get. Without lisp abilities there is no speeding up. That was the sole purpose of the lisp routines.
Therein lies the fallicy of the economics used to justify LT. You save BIG bucks when you buy LT. You then lose those BIG bucks while those high paid guys sit there doing their job in the slowest possible way because that is all that is available to them.
So how long is it until you've burned up those "savings"? 30 days? 60?

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
AutoCAD LT area calcs
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 02:27:04 PM »
If you are using AutoCAD LT 2005, check to see if it has the fields feature or not. If it does look into object fields. This feature allows for area calculations based on enclosed shapes (ie. plines, circle etc...).  You just pick the shape to associate the field too and vola you have the area of the shape. If you change the shapes dimension, it will automatically update accordingly.
The only bad thing is the metric areas. It does quite allow for decimal place changes when drawing in millimeters.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
AutoCAD LT area calcs
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 08:45:32 AM »
can they use BPOLY to speed up the process?
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

jwisherd

AutoCAD LT area calcs
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 10:38:37 AM »
don't know if lt has the area command, but that is what I use for area calculations, with a closed polyline.