CAD Forums > Land Lubber / Geographically Positioned

Simplify a C3D DEM surface?

<< < (2/2)

d2010:

--- Quote from: CHulse on June 01, 2023, 08:16:51 AM ---I have a surface in C3D created from a 1m DEM. It's very dense. I only need it for some visual topo and steep slope analysis (not for a design, just an FYI on the plan) so it doesn't need to be so detailed. The slope visualization is terrible as it is. Anyone have thoughts on a best method to reduce/simplify the surface to get the topo and steep slopes to display more smooth/simply?
Thanks

--- End quote ---

Exists the solution, but not freeware (no payment!); because both person/s (you and I) need
earning the experience online-collaboration(remote tasks).
That reason/s,  I can try your need/s only;  you hire me / per hour?

https://youtu.be/fb1toX3yupw

Can you hire -me for surveyour tasks?

MSTG007:
This is a good conversation. Just throwing out another idea.
Since this came from a DEM file, and from a plotting side you want it to be fast loading, etc.
Whey not create a cogo point grid that drapes onto the DEM, then create a surface from that.

Another idea, would be to do the same, then maybe from the DEM (point surface), explode the line work.
Use that as a basic xref. Then data refence the original DEM in with a surface display set to No Display.

Just some thoughts.

wizman:

--- Quote from: MSTG007 on June 02, 2023, 08:06:05 AM ---
Whey not create a cogo point grid that drapes onto the DEM, then create a surface from that.

--- End quote ---

I think this will create a better surface.  But I would use ArcGIS to put points in center of each DEM pixel and elevate each point to the correct DEM elevation.  Then have Civil 3D do the triangulation from those points. 

Rod:
What method you use will partly depend on whether you want GRID or TIN. From my testing a grid surface performs 10x better than a TIN.
Here are a couple of other options

Grid Surface
You could create a DEM from the surface with a greater spacing (export to DEM) then create a new grid surface from the new DEM
Use third party software like https://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/website/microdem/microdem.htm to create a new DEM file with a greater spacing

TIN
Use simplify surface

Cheers, Rod.

CHulse:
Thanks for the input everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version