Author Topic: Expression Blend for WPF  (Read 3357 times)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Expression Blend for WPF
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »

Is anyone using Expression Blend for WPF dialog creation ??

Opinions ??

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: Expression Blend for WPF
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:03:48 AM »
I've been a huge fan of incorporating WPF into form-based projects since reading Kean's article: Hosting WPF content inside an AutoCAD palette.

As the article suggests, I've mainly focused on Hosting WPF User Control(s) inside an AutoCAD Tool Palette. Admittedly, I've been stumped with WPF Tree View's mainly due to availability of time to work out some kinks. I've also stumbled to wrap my brain around the model-view-viewmodel pattern, and style Inheritence, & Triggers.  :|

I even started to experiment with Google Map's free Javascript API + WPF + AutoCAD Tool Palette... Again, it has promise, but I have no time to overcome my learning curve at the moment.

My most successful WPF project was a Browser App that had a build stored on the Network, which functioned as a 'reference utility' having tabs for different criteria, forms, links, etc. to consolidate many of the critical resources our teams would need to access for our projects. Very useful, easy to deploy, and maintain... And works with Visual Studio Express.

Expression Blend looks very interesting to me, but will sadly not be something I use, unless work decides to buy, since there's no 'Express' version. Very neat though; I'd be interested in others' opinions as well.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 07:29:26 AM »
I use WPF for all my palettes and dialogs but I dont use Blend.  For the UI elements Im using within AutoCAD I find the built-in VS2010 editor does well.  I think most people over time just start migrating towards more WPF coding and less visual creation anyway.

RenderMan,  WPF 4 unleased by Adam Nathan is a great book to get any .NET programmer off the ground with WPF.  It's very basic and it has color screen shots too for those of us who prefer pretty pictures.  I keep it on the shelf as a reference.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:35:04 AM by MexicanCustard »
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
I have used it a little for non-AutoCAD projects, but usually it becomes apparent that it is easier to create an ugly WPF app than a good looking one.

Unless it is something minor or a small project I would think it suited for someone who mainly deals with UI and the 'look' of app, because without much experience you can spend hours tweaking a storyline, etc... and ends looking worse(flowing) than a standard WinForm that antone make look decent.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »
RenderMan,  WPF 4 unleased by Adam Nathan is a great book to get any .NET programmer off the ground with WPF.  It's very basic and it has color screen shots too for those of us who prefer pretty pictures.  I keep it on the shelf as a reference.

Thanks for the book reference. *Tips hat*

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:02:57 AM »
How is WPF coming along these days?  I tried it when it first came out and it seemed a bit slow, slow enough to make me want to learn MFC

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »
How is WPF coming along these days?  I tried it when it first came out and it seemed a bit slow, slow enough to make me want to learn MFC

I am no authority on WPF, or .NET development in general, but in my limited experience I'd suggest that you only work with .NET 4.0 and newer.

My early attempt to code a WPF utility that was compatible with .NET 3.5 was less than ideal (you have to remove the System.Xaml Reference to get it to compile, thereby losing a lot of functionality, features, etc.).