Author Topic: scale bar challenge  (Read 15538 times)

drizzt

Re: scale bar challenge
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 12:26:58 PM »
Now I know I am throwing a completely different idea out there but what if you just used a graphic bar scale? Whether the bar scale is printed at full or half, it would represent the scale accurately.

I have considered that. I would have to modify out bar scale block as it has a line of text below it that says " scale: 1"=200' " Which might be the way to go. Although, our titleblock also states scale.

LE3

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 01:36:32 PM »
Put a note in your title block that states if plotted on 11x17, the drawing is at half-scale.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

joshua.modglin

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »
Now I know I am throwing a completely different idea out there but what if you just used a graphic bar scale? Whether the bar scale is printed at full or half, it would represent the scale accurately.

I have considered that. I would have to modify out bar scale block as it has a line of text below it that says " scale: 1"=200' " Which might be the way to go. Although, our titleblock also states scale.

As regards the titleblock, 90% of the time I state the scale is "As Shown" or "As Noted" due to having multiple views on the sheet. I understand the modification issue since the current block you use is pretty much what I use but...just an idea :)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 04:46:17 PM »

let's think sideways for a second.
You probably have 3 different plot paper sizes and perhaps 3 border template sizes and several potential scales ( but only one scale per drawing)

I'd make several multirow scale bar blocks ... one row for each likely paper ; each row notated something like 1:10 @ A3 , 1:10 @ A1 etc 

Just set it up correctly and there will be a scale bar that measures correctly irrespective of the paper size
... without having to modify the drawing.

.... and it will work correctly for PDF plots as a bonus.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

drizzt

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »

I'd make several multirow scale bar blocks ... one row for each likely paper ; each row notated something like 1:10 @ A3 , 1:10 @ A1 etc 

Great idea! I think I will give that a shot!

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 10:35:46 AM »

Great idea! I think I will give that a shot!

good.

You can send the $10 to Mark.
It would cost me more to write and post an invoice

:lol:
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

drizzt

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 11:02:32 AM »
yeah, I think I am due for a donation! :-)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »
I made a app(using .NET API) that when you change the annotation scale of a viewport it updated the  scale bar block or the other way around.

If you would like me to dig it up for you. 

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 11:55:28 PM »
I made a app
Don't let Apple hear you say that! They've cornered the market on the use of the word App! :-)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 11:59:26 PM »
I made a app
Don't let Apple hear you say that! They've cornered the market on the use of the word App! :-)
:lmao: :lmao:

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »
I made a app

:-)

Perhaps we should just call it 'stuff' and see who crawls out of the woodwork.

drizzt

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »
I made a app(using .NET API) that when you change the annotation scale of a viewport it updated the  scale bar block or the other way around.

If you would like me to dig it up for you. 

The problem with that is that I am not changing the scale of the viewport. I am doing a scale to fit from a D sheet to an 11x17 sheet, which works out to be 1/2 size.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 12:33:25 PM »
Yes it can be done,
You would set up block and make a lookuptable(not dynamic block type, but for matching scale to visibility parameter) or whatever to change with VP custom scale then use an event before plot to look at layout's plotsettings(Page SetUp) custom scale.

I would use bar scale because I thought it was common knowledge to always check any dimensions against the bar to check.
A block http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=38480.msg435894#msg435894 as idea