Author Topic: I have some news i want to share - 3D 2010 can import Pointclouds  (Read 1613 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
I am running a fast 3.2 GHZ Core Duo Extreme with 4.0 GIG RAM and a Windows XP 32bit System.
Civil 3D 2010 is loaded, and I was able to import 2 - TXT files of NEZ that were over 2,000,000 points Each.
I am now able to rotate the view in cad and start modeling or tracing. Plus I dont think you have to spend the
big money on a package that just does 1 thing of the process.

By the way, Do not IMPORT POINTS from the menu. Just Import POINT FILES into a surface! Works! and just have the surface show points!

Hope this helps!
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: I have some news i want to share - 3D 2010 can import Pointclouds
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:37:05 PM »
I am running a fast 3.2 GHZ Core Duo Extreme with 4.0 GIG RAM and a Windows XP 32bit System.
Civil 3D 2010 is loaded, and I was able to import 2 - TXT files of NEZ that were over 2,000,000 points Each.
I am now able to rotate the view in cad and start modeling or tracing. Plus I dont think you have to spend the
big money on a package that just does 1 thing of the process.

By the way, Do not IMPORT POINTS from the menu. Just Import POINT FILES into a surface! Works! and just have the surface show points!

Hope this helps!

This is the method I have always instructed users to employ should they have point files larger than 100,000 points. First this was a limitation of the terrain model explorer in Land Desktop, then it just evolved into a best practice.  Thanks for reinforcing that method.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 02:50:39 PM »
Hey, how else is it going to work! lol I will admit, Rotating 3d views is really slow, but once its in the view, panning and zooming works ok.
Civil3D 2020

sinc

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 03:02:31 PM »
But doesn't some of the "real" Point Cloud software come with other tools, such as filter tools for cleanup, ways to simplify meshes, ways to automatically pull breaklines from the clouds, etc.?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »
Hey, how else is it going to work! lol I will admit, Rotating 3d views is really slow, but once its in the view, panning and zooming works ok.

check your Adaptive Degradation settings you should be able to improve your performance.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/