Author Topic: AU! CDEDBD geeks?  (Read 3773 times)

Nibster

AU! CDEDBD geeks?
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:30:49 PM »
so, who's all going to AU2011?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: AU! CDEDBD geeks?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
I'll be there!

Nibster

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:58:54 PM »
I'll be there!
when are you flying in?  our crew should be getting into the hotel at about 11ish (am) on monday

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
My brother lives there, so the wife & I will probably drive down the day after Thanksgiving to visit with him a few days before hand. Plan on checking in as early as possible Monday Sunday afternoon so I can attend the ADN conference on Monday.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:55:29 PM by Jeff_M »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
probably NOT going this year.

None of my class proposals were accepted (was most likely too much other stuff going on to focus my energy on them), and I honestly see little value in attending except perhaps the 'free' certification testing.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »
 I honestly see little value in attending except perhaps the 'free' certification testing.

I'd love to go (especially for ^^ this reason), but with our 'cross training' on Microstation, as a result of more DOT work (MS required), than private sector work, I'm not sure if the big boss will 'ok' my going as I had previously hoped.  :-(
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »
 I honestly see little value in attending except perhaps the 'free' certification testing.

I'd love to go (especially for ^^ this reason), but with our 'cross training' on Microstation, as a result of more DOT work (MS required), than private sector work, I'm not sure if the big boss will 'ok' my going as I had previously hoped.  :-(
Honestly, the certification has actually proven to be worth less than the time invested in taking the tests. I just don't see them gaining much traction in the industry.  And they aren't a practical measure of a users skills or abilities. (read: there are answers to the questions that the 'right' answer is actually the 'wrong' one)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 02:56:06 PM »

Honestly, the certification has actually proven to be worth less than the time invested in taking the tests. I just don't see them gaining much traction in the industry.  And they aren't a practical measure of a users skills or abilities. (read: there are answers to the questions that the 'right' answer is actually the 'wrong' one)

Who cares what the industry thinks of their certification - I'd have a certification that *I* personally want to get, which is an achievement that no 'veteran' CAD gurus at my company have... for whatever reason, my employer places some value on items like this, which allows them to identify a ranking system for promotions, etc..

I'm younger than ALL of my peers by decades, and have to work harder, know more, etc. just to be seen as 'equal' let alone surpass those who have no desire to do better.

Never mind the trip to Vegas. :lol: LoL
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
True it really is all about the trip to Vegas.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Nibster

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »
SHHHHHHHHut the front door!!  :laugh:

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
None of my class proposals were accepted

A little bitter?

Honestly, the certification has actually proven to be worth less than the time invested in taking the tests.

Maybe...

Oh yes....there it is!

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 05:20:02 PM »

A little bitter?

Honestly, the certification has actually proven to be worth less than the time invested in taking the tests.

Maybe...

Oh yes....there it is!
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 06:04:40 PM »

A little bitter?

NO, not at all.  Notice I held myself accountable for it?
Actually I think that the selection committee may not have understood the importance of the concepts the classes were intended to convey.  The fault for that lies squarely on my shoulders.

Further if one were to look back at similar conversations over the years, I held the same attitude towards the relative value of going to the AU party.  However being there last year only managed to cement the bricks of my perception with the mortar of reality.  AU is more about the party and not exactly conductive to learning.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell