Author Topic: ATTREDEF Not Working?  (Read 9808 times)

M-dub

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2004, 08:47:08 AM »
Hey Hendie,
Thanks for replying.  The end result of the block is intended to look exactly the same as the original.  However, my new version will have 13 additional attributes and they'll be invisible.  In the image below, you'll see a screenshot of the block definition (block name = SOURCE_BL).  For this post, I've changed the colour of the attributes that I've added.  When the block is inserted, the yellow attributes are invisible, but show up in the dialog box for the user to fill in.  The SOURCE_ID is the original attribute and I haven't changed it at all.

The contractor who originally created this thing had planned to move that attribute around after insertion.  Because of the nature of the drawing, I can understand why he wanted to do this and don't have a major problem with it.  I just wish that there was a way that I could add all of the new attributes to the blocks already existing on the drawing without disturbing the (new) location of SOURCE_ID.  Actually, the new attributes get added to all of the blocks, which is evident when I explode one of them.  The problem is that they don't show up in the ddatte dialog box...until I use the ATTSYNC command.  That's when it moves SOURCE_ID back to its original location.

I think it comes down to the fact that I should have forced the contractor to at least add those attributes to the block when he first created it...even if he didn't want to fill everything in using AutoCAD.  The ATTIN and ATTOUT commands could do that for us once he populated the spreadsheet.

Thanks again to Andrew and Hendie.  As always, any suggestions are more than welcome...even from Dent about a couple of those top three attributes...;) :fart:

M-dub

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2004, 11:06:30 AM »
Hendie,
I've got yet another reason to give Byron a big hug!  :shock:
I tried using Blockwerx to update the blocks in my drawing instead and it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the Preferences popup under the Attributes tab, I unchecked 'Update Attribute Properties' and it did exactly what I've been wanting and hoping for!

It updated the block with the new attributes, but didn't move the original attribute to its default location!

Damn, I'm happy!  This is a good week!

Andrew H

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 11:39:33 AM »
One last thought even though you got your attributes working.

Have you looked into the XDATA command? I haven't used it personally, but it looks like it might be something of use, but I don't know how to extract the information. If you want I can start a new thread to inquire aboub this command to see if can be used? (i think i might anyway).

M-dub

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 11:48:08 AM »
What exactly does Xdata do?  I couldn't find it in the Help file.  I've seen or heard of it before, but never used it.
I'm using the ATTIN and ATTOUT commands that come with the Express Tools for 2004 and they work great!  I just open the txt files in Excel and away I go.

Andrew H

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 11:57:14 AM »
The express tool have their own separate help file.

The xdata looks a little weird, that's why I wanted to start a new Thread about it to see what everyone else has to say about it. Look for the thread in a few seconds. The attributes look and work great, but I think autodork is trying to get away from them, but I may be wrong (I haven't heard anything offical).

M-dub

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2004, 11:59:52 AM »
Yeah, I heard something about Tags or something like that....

Seems pretty stupid to me.  I mean, attributes have been somewhat painful to say the least for years, but now that they're finally starting to figure them out, they're getting rid of them?!?!  Whatever...

I was looking in the Acad help...not express.  The command works though...I jsut don't know what it did!

Andrew H

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2004, 12:06:07 PM »
I think autodork is wanting to go to the "feilds" way (part of 2005) and get away from attributes. I personally like the attributes, but I wish they could make some changes to the way they behave; as in, make them non-explodable, non-movable by grips (at least options along these lines).

M-dub

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2004, 12:42:10 PM »
The option would be great!  Set everything up during block creation and all is well.  Maybe someday....:roll:

Andrew H

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2004, 12:49:51 PM »
Maybe we could get onto the AUGI website and add some of these suggestions in the "Wish List"? Propably couldn't hurt.

M-dub

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2004, 01:06:04 PM »
I went in there, but....what IS their wish list?  A forum based thingy?

Andrew H

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2004, 01:10:35 PM »
The AUGI wish list is were autocad (and veritcals) users put their autocad wants and that is the list Autodesk looks at when adding/changing things to AutoCAD.

hendie

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2004, 03:25:32 PM »
Hey Mike, I'm glad you got it sorted.. I had a quick look at Blockwerx but never delved into the properties thingy
great news though !

M-dub

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2004, 03:27:34 PM »
Actually, I'm not 100% out of the woods yet.

I've got to have another look at it on Monday, but it seemed that the TAGS and PROMPTS got mixed up somehow.  I'll get into it more next week.  I am way ahead of where I was though.

Take Care

hyposmurf

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004, 11:37:35 AM »
Im thinking of purchasing a single license myself,have a few questions though.Has anyone got a single machine user license?If so have you got the Pro or basic license.Are the extra plugins any good.Theres already a BCOUNT function incorporated in AutoCAD and I can already zip files and email them.Also if I download the trial 30 day user license how easy is it to register it?Is it just a authorisation code etc?

M-dub

ATTREDEF Not Working?
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2004, 05:22:59 PM »
I like the autotrim, but other than that, I don't really see a need for the Pro version.  It is a really nice app though.  No matter what you get, you won't be disappointed.

...And yes, it's easy to register.  Well, actually, I didn't do it myself...IT had to do it, but the guy told me that Byron was a real nice and easy guy to talk to/deal with.